"Gift List" December 22, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

rsz_christmasrabbit.jpg
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

A nice Christmas present—
To be safely ashore.
Merry Christmas to all.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 1 on the ship with Isaac and 244 on the shore.

Good luck winning the mug and have a great week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Colin

Post by Colin »

G-kids are asleep,
Santa has done his magic,
Christmas on the beach!

Merry Christmas everyone!
One world. One planet. One future.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore. Natasha is back home from Moscow, so I picked this back up and worked it out only moments before St Nick (Father Frost) makes his way down here to Houston. Houston we got no problem. Merry Christmas to all!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Heidi
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

Upon discovering the metanism for this week's puzzle, I was immediately transported to the following version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" by the King's SIngers:

Merry Christmas!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

Made it to shore today, Monday. But, no WSJ today, so I think maybe I'm still okay?

Happy Holidays to all!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Now that it's over does anything know about the site of WSJ puzzle answers: https://wsjcrosswordsolver.com/slime-on ... sword-clue ?

It claims the verified answer for 8D is GOO and 15A as STRAY which they obviously aren't (for one thing 15A has six letters)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

woozy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:16 pm Now that it's over does anything know about the site of WSJ puzzle answers: https://wsjcrosswordsolver.com/slime-on ... sword-clue ?

It claims the verified answer for 8D is GOO and 15A as STRAY which they obviously aren't (for one thing 15A has six letters)
For (I think), the first time ever I got the answer without finishing the grid, so didn't pay much attention to the finished grid. After seeing your post, I googled the answers to those clues that I wound up with and found this information,

Estray, in common law, is any domestic animal found wandering at large or lost, particularly if the owner is unknown.

Have you ever wondered how to make slime without borax? This gak recipe is only two ingredients and is Borax free!

Apparently those "verified" answers are incorrect.
woozy

Post by woozy »

SewYoung wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:28 pm

Have you ever wondered how to make slime without borax? This gak recipe is only two ingredients and is Borax free!
Um... no.

But now I am wondering how you make slime with Borax. Wouldn't that be toxic?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Kris Zacharias wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:37 am Upon discovering the metanism for this week's puzzle, I was immediately transported to the following version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" by the King's SIngers:

Merry Christmas!
I have the Bob and Doug MacKenzie version stuck in my head.

Merry Christmas all.
Rufus T. Firefly
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

woozy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:46 pm

Um... no.

Having no experience with nor interest in slime, I didn't actually read the article, just saw the headline which confirmed my entry in the grid, which apparently resulted from crossing entries as I hadn't even noticed it until looking in response to the above post. I don't even know what I would do with slime if I had any :D
hoover

Post by hoover »

woozy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:46 pm

Um... no.

Without looking it up, and not having any children, I think the usual slime recipe involves Elmer's glue and 20-mule-team Borax (or is it 40 mules?).
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

The contest answer is DECK THE HALLS. Each of 12 Across clues ends with one of the gifts in the lyrics of “The 12 Days of Christmas” (Partridge, doves, hens, birds, rings, geese, swans, maids, ladies, lords, Pipers, drummers). The first letters of the answers to those clues, in order, spell the contest answer.

A really ingenious Christmas gift from Mike--sneaking all 12 gifts (in order!) into the across clues. This was a popular and unusually successful puzzle. We had 1731 entries and an exceptionally high 97% correct. A holiday miracle! The few incorrect answers included 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS (6), FIVE GOLDEN RINGS, WE THREE KINGS, THE FIRST NOEL, and a few others.

Congratulations to this week's winner: Pat Dittoe of Hudson, Ohio! Happy holidays to the awesome Muggles!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

"Congratulations to this week's winner: Pat Dittoe of Hudson, Ohio! Happy holidays to the awesome Muggles!"

Hooray, the mug winner is getting closer in proximity! Only 30 minutes away. Keep coming north.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I promised an explanation to my personal quick solve. Sometimes a blind squirrel...

To begin solving, I decided to take my time using the PDF, paste my mouse written alphabet to it, then copy & paste each letter into the grid as needed. However, everything fell into place for me, quickly.
  • The title mentions GIFT LIST for the Christmas contest crossword.
  • The first clue had "partridge" in it. It seemed obvious what the list is & that the list is in the clues.
  • Reading the rest of the clues & finding the other 11 gifts from The Twelve Days of Christmas, then looking at the initials of those clues' entries, it was obvious after 3 entries that the "three word title" is DECK THE HALLS.
Here is how my PDF appeared when the AHA! hit:

XWD12222023JRSolved.png

If I can solve that quickly, anyone can.
The XWord Rabbit

Post by The XWord Rabbit »

rsz_1bunnyspot_headinhand.png

It’s pretty evident that your Rabbit has nothing to work with this week, and that’s fine with him.
He’s a busy bunny himself, so whaddaya say we end the year with a little Hollywood nostalgia?

He expects you’ve seen a certain movie of late more times than you care to count.
So how about a clip of Santa’s lawyer spending a not-so-quiet evening with Carmen Miranda?*

And here’s a clip of Santa himself, fighting giant ants.*

Until next year, then.

*John Payne in "Week-end in Havana" (1941).
*Edmund Gwenn in "Them!" (1955).
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

CPJohnson wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:41 pm
I was in a rabbit hole. If anyone is interested, on Monday I will be giving lessons in How to Manufacture a Rabbit Hole While Ignoring Blatant Markers for the Solution.
I’m interested! Do tell!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
woozy

Post by woozy »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:53 pm I promised an explanation to my personal quick solve. Sometimes a blind squirrel...

To begin solving, I decided to take my time using the PDF, paste my mouse written alphabet to it, then copy & paste each letter into the grid as needed. However, everything fell into place for me, quickly.
  • The title mentions GIFT LIST for the Christmas contest crossword.
  • The first clue had "partridge" in it. It seemed obvious what the list is & that the list is in the clues.
  • Reading the rest of the clues & finding the other 11 gifts from The Twelve Days of Christmas, then looking at the initials of those clues' entries, it was obvious after 3 entries that the "three word title" is DECK THE HALLS.
Here is how my PDF appeared when the AHA! hit:

XWD12222023JRSolved.png

If I can solve that quickly, anyone can.
Pretty much the same for me. I had guests so I was sneaking peaks. I chose to look at 18A as it was likely to be themer and I entered CHICKEN COOP and didn't particularly notice the "hens". I then looked at 52 "Some pipers" and had no idea of the entry but saw the "pipers" in the clue right away and knew the theme had to be the twelve days of christmas and looked back at 18A and noticed the hens. Glanced at clue 1 and the cinched it completely and I fill in 1A. "The Twelve Days of Christmas" does no have three words so it couldn't be that easy. So I figured I had to take the first letters to get a twelve letter three word song beginning with D?C. That had to be Deck the Halls. Counted the letters. Yep 12. Eyed the next for clues for the clue about doves and found it and EGGS was a good answer.

So 1 minute 49 seconds I was confirmed with the solution to the meta and all required was doing the grid.... well.... some three hours later....