"Gift List" December 22, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Ashore. Fun one! The grid had some interesting words, tho. I'm glad this one was quick, because I still haven't solved the MMMM, and this weekend is busy. Merry Christmas!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Momo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 am
MatthewL wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm Ashore. Fun one! Happy holidays, all! I'll have an egg nog -- heavy on the brandy, light on the nog.
how did you get it in ten minutes?
Fast fingers, I guess. Even so, 3 people were faster, and @Wendy Walker got it in 5! I guess she had her afternoon Red Bull right before it dropped.
Matthew
caf.caf

Post by caf.caf »

Ashore in plenty of time to enjoy the weekend!!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Ashore. To copy what many have written: fun one and amazing construction. Mike always does some of his best work on these holiday weekend puzzles. Merry Christmas to all!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Momo wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:41 am
MatthewL wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:10 pm Ashore. Fun one! Happy holidays, all! I'll have an egg nog -- heavy on the brandy, light on the nog.
how did you get it in ten minutes?
SarasotaSun wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:14 am
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:05 pm On the beach! Merry Christmas, dear Muggles!
Five minutes?
Easily. I thought I'd take my time & solve it my slow way, using the PDF on screen, but had it solved in way under 8 minutes. Of course, @Wendy Walker is always that much quicker than I am.

A tick after midnight, Monday morning, I'll post exactly where I was when I solved. Remember the deadline:
Email your answer—in the subject line—to crosswordcontest@wsj.com by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time Sunday,
Dec. 24.

NOTE TO ALL: The grid does not have to be completely filled before the meta can be solved.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore, next to a double-parked sleigh. Happiest of holidays (and safe travels) to all.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:52 am
NOTE TO ALL: The grid does not have to be completely filled before the meta can be solved.
It does if you are an OCD like some of us (myself, of course, included)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KscX

Post by KscX »

Done and fun. Merry Christmas!
Justmarebear

Post by Justmarebear »

Nice one, and tis the season… thanks for such fun meta puzzles… and Merry Christmas to all…
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

DrTom wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:02 am
I was going to say anal, but OCD works too. :D
Matthew
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

Ashore and happy to be here. I’m always amazed at how quickly muggles see the way on many of these metas. It took me awhile to see what I had to see but once I did it was a breeze from there. Merry Christmas one and all. 🎄
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Friday morning muggles

First we welcome out newest muggle Archfrog. Always great to have our community grow and grow and grow.

We have 178 on the shore so far and Isaac is closing the bar down for the weekend.

Because of the season and the ease of the meta, we have decided to forego the Last Call zoom session on Sunday. There will be a zoom session tonight at 4:30 pm ET hosted by @ship4u (Don) with the always effusive and first on the board this week @Wendy Walker

And last before everyone scatters, I want to thank all the people that make this forum such a great and friendly success - those who administer it behind the scenes, the many very talented creators for SSS, MMM, MOAT, MEOW, Pun of a Kind, Sunday Crossword, Phil's Crossword Corner, MMMM, CCCC, MGWCC and any that I missed.

And finally thanks to all of the muggles who make this such a delightful community. It is such a welcome relief from everyday life and the best part is that I feel like I have a lot of friends in all of the 50 states and throughout the world from Schmeel (Shmuel Schmell) in Israel to Benchen71 (Ben Chenoweth) in Melbourne and everywhere in between.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Logged into the puzzle today and sailed to shore. With so much holiday TO DO, am grateful for an easy ride. Time to crack open the eggnog - wishing all the Muggles a happy holiday and a healthy New Year!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
JoDave

Post by JoDave »

On shore. This was one of those where the meta helped me solve the grid.
AdenaAndPaul

Post by AdenaAndPaul »

Ashore! That's two weeks in a row for us without help from the zoom - our longest streak yet! :)
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Got to it this morning and sailed quickly to shore— happy holidays, all!
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

MatthewL wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:32 am
DrTom wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:02 am
I was going to say anal, but OCD works too. :D
Stolen joke from one of the Garden Party constructors (I think Michael Blake, but not sure):

It's CDO if you're really compulsive and you put it in alphabetical order.
Rufus T. Firefly
newbymar

Post by newbymar »

Ashore! Needed a life raft.
[Mary Milani Newby ;)
Fogway

Post by Fogway »

Ashore. With this cold virus, I'm ordering up a hot tea with honey. Happy Holidays, all!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I must be the only Muggle still in the ship. Even Isaac seems to have gotten ashore.

Ahoy...oh, never mind, Isaac, I'll pour it myself.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.