"Caring For Animals" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Caring For Animals" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? I know I had fun constructing this puzzle: the big question is will you have as much fun as me completing the grid and solving the meta? I sure hope so!

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Please consider supporting Crosshare. I wouldn't be constructing crosswords without this site!

Caring For Animals - Crosshare
Caring For Animals - PUZ
Caring For Animals - PDF
Caring For Animals - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif

Announcing a new Meta Pack, only this time it's a MOAT/MEOW mashup! US$10 gives you access to 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game. You won't quite know what to expect: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, sometimes all of those, and sometimes none! One thing is for sure, these are some of the more creative metas my brain has been able to come up with. And there's more: this time there's a mega-meta! :D The pack comes with PUZ and PDF files and private links to Crosshare, where you can access nudges, submit your answer, and then comment with fellow solvers.

IMG_20231218_193820_(601_x_338_pixel).jpg

So if you were wondering what to do in your spare time once Christmas is over, think no more! The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack can be purchased from my "About me" website, using Paypal for the payment.
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

MOAT finally crossed after evading a few crocodiles, fun puzzle!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed. Got distracted by the unusual creatures hanging off the castle walls.
[The Unicorn at Lin45A Castle] Now I want to learn more about gargoyles....
linlithgow-unicorn.jpg
Thanks, Ben. Always enjoy the challenge of your metas!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Crossed the moat, but it was not easy.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the MOAT! I have to ask, though, did the spelling of 26D give you any qualms, or are we converting you to the 68A side?
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Stuck. I have a word but it has no connection that I can find the the meta prompt. May have to wait for nudges to bring this one home.
The other Wendy. :roll:
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

HeadinHome wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:47 pm Stuck. I have a word but it has no connection that I can find the the meta prompt. May have to wait for nudges to bring this one home.
I have a feeling that I'm right where you are.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I don't have a word. I have the theme (as it's impossible not to) but can't see anything that would explain an obvious. Come up with a fun punny girls name that weren't really that common and not the clever of puns...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Stuck as well. Threw a WAG at it that seemed logical, but no luck. Only 336 more names to try.
Matthew
Meg

Post by Meg »

Well, that took all day!! But, with a question from a friend, the relevant item popped into my brain, and I danced across the drawbridge.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Looks like we've got quite the MOAT holiday challenge, not getting any headway on this yet.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Finally saw what I needed to see to cross the moat. Rather tricky one.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It has been more than 24 hours since posting the puzzle. Here's the first solver update:

SamKat9
Darth
Dave C
hoover
Hector
kurtalert
LarsCaine
boharr
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
Darrell
markhr

Just 12 to get us started! But there have been more than 100 grid completions, and 18 wrong answers on Crosshare, so lots of activity. I'm not planning on releasing the nudges early. I think this is a true "week 3"!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:20 pm Looks like we've got quite the MOAT holiday challenge, not getting any headway on this yet.
I’m stuck too. Thought I saw something but Crosshare did not agree! Back to staring at puzzle!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

With a bit of help from a kind Muggle. I should have seen it sooner.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed (with an assist), zoo visited (who knew the castle had one?). Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update before early nudges!

lbray53
I K Snamhcok
MatthewL
Laura M
woozy

That's just 17.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. If you are reading this you have probably surmounted the first major obstacle: filling in the grid. What was up with those baby animal clues!?!

2. Did you notice what those baby animal clues led up to?

3. The baby animal clues going up together with the word LEOPARD should lead you to a movie title.

4. There are a couple of other things hidden in the grid which should help to confirm the meta answer.
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Moat crossed…. Needed the nudges! Thanks, Ben!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Hmm. Still not getting this one, even with the nudges. Will have to think more.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer