"Caring For Animals" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

If anyone needs an additional nudge...

5. The movie title parallels the puzzle title, and its middle word is "up"
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well even with the nudges, and what appears it HAS to be the movie I still cannot get the right answer so I'll tuck this into the unsolved column and wait and see what magic Ben has woven into the puzzle. :(
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I also don’t know what the trick is on this one. I have (and had) all the information and material that the nudges are leading to, and have submitted all the girl names I can think of that are related to this set of material but am still shut out. What the what?

UPDATE: ahhh… in a conversation with one @DrTom , I was alerted to a minor spelling error in one of the submissions I had tried. Got it. Phew!
The other Wendy. :roll:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle:

Shoved across the moat with remedial nudges. Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Needed nudge 3, wasn’t familiar. But on the board!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Made it across the MOAT, but needed nudges.
Cindy Heisler
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

I am in the same boat as DrTom and "other" Wendy. I guess it's coal in my MOAT stocking this year. :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
woozy

Post by woozy »

A slight "what the heck? I did everything right and still can't get it" nudge You know... some names have variant spellings.....[/nudge]
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, I now understand the thing I didn't get. I have heard of it, but that's about it, so I was never going to get there. Having gotten there, though, I still don't see a path to the actual answer. Additional thought required.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

ajk wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:10 pm OK, I now understand the thing I didn't get. I have heard of it, but that's about it, so I was never going to get there. Having gotten there, though, I still don't see a path to the actual answer. Additional thought required.
In the same boat. Nudges told me what to Google and Crosshare tells me my answer is right, but I'm still not really sure how I got here. Looking forward to the reveal.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update for you!

Pair O Ducks
Philip Chow
Ergcat
SeamusOL
Tyrpmom
DrTom
whimsy
Carolyn
Steve M
Berto
Mg305
HeadinHome
KayW
Mr Tex
Sharkicicles
DIS
Cindy Heisler
Jaclyn
DebbieC
Johnny Luau
CPJohnson
LindaPRmaven

That brings us up to 39! The last solver update will be Monday morning, Australia time, before the answer reveal.

If you think you have the answer but Crosshare is being contrary, spelling is ultra-important this week. There is absolutely, definitely only one correct way to spell the answer. Use Google to check what you think you know!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Wow. This was difficult for me. I really needed nudge #3. No way I'd have made that connection as I hadn't heard of what you're referencing.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Tough one! Needed nudges and Google, but eventually found my way across the moat. Phew!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I've done some quick calculations, and if my maths is correct, Monday is Christmas! So to avoid posting the answer to "Caring For Animals" Christmas morning, I will do so Sunday evening. That means you have slightly less time than usual! :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

It's time for the answer reveal. But first, more solvers!

JohnCarol
SJMcK
Eric Porter
edestlin
DCBilly
Jerry Miccolis
JM
Dow Jones

That got us to 47. However, with 194 grid completions, and 8 wrong answers, this was a tricky one!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Caring For Animals":

Caring For Animals (solution).png

My first daughter's birthday was last week. She's now 24 and this puzzle is dedicated to her. When asked to spell her name I like to say, "It's spelled the same as Katharine Hepburn." That doesn't usually help... but it led to this meta! And now, just for fun, here's a clip from the movie in question: