"Political Fallout" by Peter Abide and Nancy Salomon

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Abide

"Political Fallout" by Peter Abide and Nancy Salomon

Post by Abide »

Happy Sunday everyone! Since the SSS well was dry this week, today will be an interesting experiment. This puzzle was originally published in March 2001 in Games Magazine, as a co-construction with my mentor Nancy Salomon. The puzzle has been slightly tweaked to turn it into a meta.

If the name Nancy Salomon is not familiar to you, take a few minutes after solving to read up on the impact she had on the Crossworld. This post from @ebirnholz is a good starting point (click image to read more, especially Evan's comments):

Political Fallout
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

SSSolved! I wish I had known Nancy -- she sounds like a wonderful human being.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Meg

Post by Meg »

I should have gotten this faster. Sssolved.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

SSSolved. Thank you, Peter.
hoover

Post by hoover »

TIL that 6A can be used not only for the chain attaching it to the pocket, but also for the pocket.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

SSSolved!

Though, FYI, I’m not able to enter on Crosshare. The link takes me to the page, but I can’t open the puzzle. (I printed the puzzle and solved on paper.)

Sad weekend for puzzlers. Nancy Salomon, whose passing is noted here. And if you surf the forum for Other Puzzles, you’ll learn that Emily Cox and Henry Rathvon, aka HEX — possibly our most revered constructors of variety cryptics (they also did the NYT’s acrostic, and many other puzzles, I’m told, for years and years) — have retired. If interested, you’ll learn more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_C ... ry_Rathvon

The HEX twosome, Emily and Henry, were apparently a laugh and a half:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/cros ... thvon.html
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Cute one! Thanks for sharing. What a nice way to honor Nancy’s memory. ❤️
ajk

Post by ajk »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:02 pm Though, FYI, I’m not able to enter on Crosshare. The link takes me to the page, but I can’t open the puzzle. (I printed the puzzle and solved on paper.)
FWIW the Crosshare link works for me. Grid solved just fine. Still working on the meta. :lol:
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Abide

Post by Abide »

Sunday nudges

Metanisms didn't exist in 2001. But the first words of the three themers have a connection

Google those three words as a group

Ok, I'll Google it for you ..https://www.google.com/search?q=hanging ... e&ie=UTF-8
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :snake: SSSolved SSSans SSSuggestions (just getting to the forums a little late today). Loved all the cluing and the opportunity to get acquainted with the late great Ms. Salomon's work. Thanks Peter!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Sssolved!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

sssolved. Thanks, Peter. The grid was great fun and Cynthia enjoyed filling it in during lunch.

The puzzle title made us a bit skittish since the topic these days offers little enjoyment. And, the only thing I know about Africa centers around Tarzan and that 1951 film staring Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn.

However, you created a great one after all. Congratulations!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Kicking myself that I needed two nudges to get something that should have been right up my alley. :oops:

Very fun stuff, with some great clues. Thanks. :)

ETA after looking at the third nudge: :lol: :lol: :lol: Though I might have gone with https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=hanging+pregnant+dimpled
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

SSSolved. I had never known about Nancy Salomon before today, but I wish I had.
Jay
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Sssolved (with nudges). Nice one, Peter.
Matthew
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

Finally got it without looking at the nudgeSSS. Thanks!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

SSSolved with nudges, thank you. And thanks to the late Ms Salomon as well!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Nudges confirmed my guess based on the one important thing I recognized. You learn something new every day around here!
The other Wendy. :roll:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Sssolved nudgeless.
Heidi
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ah, nothing like a topical puzzle at the height of it's relevance![*]

Got to say it's hard to come to a puzzle late when the nudges are just sitting there... but I managed to avoid peaking at them.

[*]Okay, snarkiness aside this was a delightful puzzle and I'm saddened by the news.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.