https://www.wsj.com/articles/departure- ... 6-de057e8a

*I’m not crying…I’m not crying*
:ugeek:
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

How do you know that?
If I’ve solved and you need a nudge, you can PM me. Happy to pay it forward. ;)
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Wow, that is sad to hear it is their last cryptic! That explains the puzzle title. Their puzzles are brilliant and creative.

A tough slog here but rewarding to finally finish. Several new words to me in this grid. Really liked the clues for 11A, 3D, and 24D.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

How do you it’s their last cryptic? Just from the title and instructions? Or somewhere else?
CromsFury

Post by CromsFury »

It was announced a few months ago and confirmed by Mike Shenk in October.

https://www.facebook.com/share/fncit3W6 ... tid=K35XfP
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo. - Virgil
Quand on lit trop vite où trop doucement, on n'entend rien. - Pascal
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

That was work!

And very satisfying to complete.

Though so sad to learn of HEX’s retirement. Having basically learned to do variety cryptics via The Atlantic’s “Puzzler” those many years ago, I feel like a part of my own puzzling history is falling away.

😢
Meg

Post by Meg »

I’m sad. I learned how to do cryptics from them decades ago. This puzzle was a good challenge! Finally got the last entry.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Thanks to Meg for pointing out the puzzle to me. Lots of fun —I sure will miss these two; they are great setters.
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

I agree this was a very satisfying and tough challenge. Since the archive went up at coxrathvon.com I have frequently printed out an old Hex crypic and solved (or in some cases re-solved) it. They are quite difficult even if I sometimes recognize them from prior experience.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

A fitting test as a send-off.
Enjoy retirement Emily and Henry! You have given us many years of challenging fun. We will miss you.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Still puzzling over 16,18 and 19D. Looked up lists of the relevant things to try to suss out my missing letters. Will keep looking at it off and on and maybe will finish up tonight. I really do hate to see Emily and Henry go! Have enjoyed them since I discovered cryptics.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Need hel on 16d and 18 d…. I see all the bot references but I get no help on acrosses.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Jeanrosz wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:19 pm Need help on 16d and 18 d…. I see all the boat references but I get no help on acrosses.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Jeanrosz wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:20 pm
Jeanrosz wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:19 pm Need help on 16d and 22d.
I see all the boat references but I get no help on acrosses.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Yup nope
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

SewYoung wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:25 am Still puzzling over 16,18 and 19D. Looked up lists of the relevant things to try to suss out my missing letters. Will keep looking at it off and on and maybe will finish up tonight. I really do hate to see Emily and Henry go! Have enjoyed them since I discovered cryptics.
Still haven't figured out those three. Have finally figured out 13 of the 14 letters that have left the clues. Well, I know all 14 and figured out the phrase, just don't know which word or which clue (from 25 through 31 A) it is absent from.

A slight nudge on any of those would be appreciated.
DavyGravy

Post by DavyGravy »

These guys are absolute puzzle legends going all the way back to the Atlantic. They should be in the puzzle constructors Hall of Fame - right along side Patrick, Mike, and Matt.
KayW

Post by KayW »

So bittersweet to complete my last new (to me) Hex. I am another solver who cut my cryptic teeth on these masters. I’m hoping to find some older ones from time to time to enjoy, and looking forward to the new (again to me) cryptic constructors the WSJ will be bringing in.

A brilliant swan song. For some reason 29A Was the last to fall for me- with a solid head slap.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I've never understood the appeal of these. I google synonyms and use anagram solvers and still can't more than a couple of words.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:22 pm I've never understood the appeal of these. I google synonyms and use anagram solvers and still can't more than a couple of words.
I spent way too much time on the second across clue before I realized that it was missing a letter. Yes the directions mentioned that letters have gone missing but I find it very difficult to determine which words are changed. Anyway I'm a curmudgeon.