"Bright Rite" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Crossed, stormed, and partied with the best of them! Thanks Ben.
The other Wendy. :roll:
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Aargh! Finally found the right combo that Crosshare liked. Limped to the castle.
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Moat crossed but wondering if the number of key letters was an Easter egg, or is that the right expression?
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Solved; thanks, Ben. A great puzzle!
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here we are at the end of day one, and we have 55 solvers to start us off! Wow, that's an excellent first day!

Tom Wilson
SamKat9
Hector
markhr
Carolyn
rjy
Jeremy Smith
Berto
Cindy Weatherman
MrTheHan
BarbaraK
boharr
AxelPlays
Cindy Heisler
Capn Rick
KayW
Meg
I K Snamhcok
whimsy
kymike
MatthewL
LarsCaine
LindaPRmaven
lbray53
Jaclyn
DCBilly
dannyvee
Ergcat
hoover
Johnny Luau
woozy
ajk
HeadinHome
heidi
JM
Laura M
DIS
Dave C
Bird Lives
iceman
DebbieC
DrTom
Darrell
Gutman
LB800
CPJohnson
Mg305
Sendhil Revuluri
Tyrpmom
Larry Edelstein
kurtalert
merlinnimue
Pair O Ducks
Spid4567
ChrisCross
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

Ok, that was delightful! Grid was smooth, the theme emerged pretty quickly, and the meta clicked into place with confidence. Great job, Ben!
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed... and DeLIGHTed! Enjoyed it much! Thank you, Ben! :D
Riverside_Castle_10982c33_b1ac_44a3_bc06_17960186b127_ae78c832-3544-49ce-99a2-de2b53eecf82.jpg
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update:

Mr Tex
Jerry Miccolis
Abide
Philip Chow
Alex Sisti
edestlin
Darth
SeamusOL
Steve M

That brings us to 64. Nudges tomorrow morning, around about the time I get up to do the WSJ! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

No further solvers, so straight into the nudges...

1. Given the title and its placement, 37 across would have to be considered something of a hint.

2. There are a number of items in the grid that are related to 37 across.

3. You are searching for 8 such items.

4. There are two acceptable answers.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Some more solvers!

Dow Jones
Sharkicicles
Katiedid
Nick

That's 68. Answer reveal tomorrow morning, Aussie time!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

No more solvers, so here's the solution to "Bright Rite":

IMG_20231218_081446_(500_x_883_pixel).png

Annoucing a new Meta Pack, only this time it's a MOAT/MEOW mashup! US$10 gives you access to 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game. You won't quite know what to expect: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, sometimes all of those, and sometimes none! One thing is for sure, these are some of the more creative metas my brain has been able to come up with. And there's more: this time there's a mega-meta! :D The pack comes with PUZ and PDF files and private links to Crosshare, where you can access nudges, submit your answer, and then comment with fellow solvers.

So if you were wondering what to do in your spare time once Christmas is over, think no more! The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack can be purchased from my "About me" website, using Paypal for the payment.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

KayW wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:13 am :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Crossed the moat - nice one!
Nice picture! I would love to get my daughter a classic Lite Brite when she stops putting everything in her mouth.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!