"Shortchanged" December 8, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
straffin

Post by straffin »

straffin wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:46 pm Just had a chance to look at it, done but still at the bar with Isaac.
With a few pointers from the pleasantly helpful @BarbaraK, I am now ashore. It's early here, but I'll still take that drink, thanks...
mbryant

Post by mbryant »

On shore. Couldn’t get started until Saturday morning because of some great golf with my son visiting from NYC. (Ok, not great golf but great times!) Figured the mechanism out lying in bed this morning and then worked it out. Fun one.
heroine.chic

Post by heroine.chic »

Busy weekend with the Army Navy game, and just back from Boston on a *very* early flight. YAWN.
I'm still on the ship this week, I'm afraid.

ETA: Strong cup of coffee and an hour of scribbling, and I'm ASHORE! I liked this one!
Last edited by heroine.chic on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fluctuat Nec Mergitur
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Made it to shore late last night. Man oh MAN, but I was overthinking this! Was underGROund with the bunnies for a VEry long time. Finally CUt my way through the underbrush (after muCKing around way too long), took a fresh lOOk--and there it was.

I'll have a mocha this morning.

Dominican Republic, December 2013
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:31 am
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:35 pm
woozy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:25 pm I'll have some caramels soaked in bourbon.
OMG

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. I don't usually like sugar with whiskies, but I'm going to make an exception.
THIS isn't my kind of drink, but it is semi-related & others might enjoy.

That would be tasty in my mocha!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Damaged wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:54 pm Hey all, first day aboard, first day ashore!

(Well, first "solo flight" - I let the 101 Course on WSJ coach me through the four lessons)

Had to celebrate with someone since no one at work knew or cared what it was.
@Damaged Welcome to the clan. As @BarbaraK said you have found your tribe. I read your post and @otlaolap reply to my wife which I thought were great but... all I got was the eye roll

Feel free to drop in on the Tuesday 7:30pm zoom call where we just talk to others who don't have the eye roll.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late start, but ashore!

And speaking of sugar and whiskey, a highlight last spring of visiting Buffalo Trace in KY was being served Buffalo Trace Bourbon Cream in “real” root beer - an adult root beer float… oh man! Cabana boy, hook me up!
Ray
chriscross

Post by chriscross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:23 am
Damaged wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:54 pm Hey all, first day aboard, first day ashore!

(Well, first "solo flight" - I let the 101 Course on WSJ coach me through the four lessons)

@Damaged Welcome to the clan. As @BarbaraK said you have found your tribe. I read your post and @otlaolap reply to my wife which I thought were great but... all I got was the eye roll

Feel free to drop in on the Tuesday 7:30pm zoom call where we just talk to others who don't have the eye roll.
I read a lot of posts here about wives and husbands and children solving together. I thought I was the only one whose partner hates the meta. :P He refuses to listen to me explain it when I solve it. I think he’s just jelly, but according to him it’s stupid and the answer can be anything. He’s usually smart but clearly he’s prejudiced here.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

chriscross wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:22 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:23 am

I read a lot of posts here about wives and husbands and children solving together. I thought I was the only one whose partner hates the meta. :P He refuses to listen to me explain it when I solve it. I think he’s just jelly, but according to him it’s stupid and the answer can be anything. He’s usually smart but clearly he’s prejudiced here.
@chriscross You are not alone. There seems to be a mix of family solving and eye rollers. And it does not seem to be gender dependent either. That is why many of us have developed solving buddies over the years. Or other muggles that help you when you raise a white flag. My wife calls them my "muggle wives".
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

On shore! Feel very lucky to have solved this one! Son returns for winter break next week so much more confident for the next few puzzles! The rest of the family is in the eye roll camp.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday morning muggles

We welcome our newest muggle @Damaged. always great to have more muggles.

So far we have 6 on the ship and 170 on the shore.

heroine.chic has decided that Isaac's superb Mimosa's and breakfast buffet are too good to leave

and working their way to the sunny shore are:

mattythewsjpuzzler
BigPear
ladybird
mbryant
PlymouthRock
jrdad
Grover
PQ63
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
straffin
Aragorn
Debbie
Deb
copperriver
Ann
Dave C
Qmark
Libbypibby
escapeartist
Damaged
Katiedid
rjy

Good luck with the meta. And don't forget the 8 pm Zoom Last Call tonight
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

On the beach. Meta came to me while watching Home Alone last night with the family without puzzle in front of me. No idea why but I’ll take it. 😂
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

This sailor on the beach.
Once you know the route to the BIG GAME, why take the boat? Fly with your friends to the party!

Navy flyover of our fo'c'sle yesterday. A gallant effort yesterday against the rock-hoppers from the Point.
Go Navy!
Flyover.png
Relic

Post by Relic »

Ashore after a late start Saturday morning. We have made the commitment to remodel our home, and after a marathon 5 hour meeting with our contractor I decided to blow this week off. However after taking the first step to arrange financing this morning I decided to take a 2nd look at the Meta. From there under 5 mins to shore.

Very thankful for the ship's WI-FI service, without which I would still be lost at sea!

Amazing META and a very fun solve. Thanks Mike Shenk!

I'll have a cup of hot hibiscus tea. Need to bring the blood pressure down. Adult beverages and cigar later this evening.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

Pretty sure I can see what to do but can't seem to crack it. It is a no for me this week unless lightning strikes.
Mirage

Post by Mirage »

CopperRiver wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:28 pm On the beach. Meta came to me while watching Home Alone last night with the family without puzzle in front of me. No idea why but I’ll take it. 😂
Also watched Home Alone last night but no inspiration for me. Still at sea.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

On shore. Post-enlightenment! Never happened to me before. Now i feel like a real Muggle.
Secret Adversary

Post by Secret Adversary »

Solved! Two weeks in a row, a good omen for the week ahead.
Happy to provide nudges if you see that I have solved.
Charmin

Post by Charmin »

Also late start but on shore.
Char

Post by Char »

Better late than never- solved