Surround Sound - December 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Brainbow

Post by Brainbow »

Got on the board yesterday, but I keep thinking that there’s a very prominent wrong answer and I wonder how many people will get tripped up by it. Good luck!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

On the board.
Cindy Heisler
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got it. Never heard of the song.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Streroto wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:07 pm Got it. Never heard of the song.
Over 1 billion people can't be wrong: definitely check it out! :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

Hmm. Submitted an answer. Not showing up on the leaderboard, nothing in inbox, nothing in spam.
KayW

Post by KayW »

hoover wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 pm Hmm. Submitted an answer. Not showing up on the leaderboard, nothing in inbox, nothing in spam.
No email confirmation is odd... maybe a typo, or the submit didn't "process"? Do you remember seeing the "thank you" for submitting? I don't think it could hurt to submit again (as long as it's the same answer haha) or you could email Pete.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

On the board
markhr

Post by markhr »

On board. Vaguely remember watching this a while back (one of a billion, apparently).
I look forward to Pete and Co.'s take on this.
hoover

Post by hoover »

KayW wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:52 pm
hoover wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:40 pm Hmm. Submitted an answer. Not showing up on the leaderboard, nothing in inbox, nothing in spam.
No email confirmation is odd... maybe a typo, or the submit didn't "process"? Do you remember seeing the "thank you" for submitting? I don't think it could hurt to submit again (as long as it's the same answer haha) or you could email Pete.
Ah, I found the email confirmation, but my submission must have been incorrect. Too many billion-play videos that fit the criteria that I found, and I didn't get a click with the answer I decided on.
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

I’m apparently in the wrong answer camp. But mine makes perfect sense. 🤷‍♀️
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:31 am I’m apparently in the wrong answer camp. But mine makes perfect sense. 🤷‍♀️
Email @Petemuller on mullermusicmeta@gmail.com. Pete honors alternate answers that make perfect sense.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

On the board. 100% when you get it. Very fun click. Now I'll go watch the whole thing.
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:38 am
Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:31 am mine makes perfect sense.
Email mullermusicmeta@gmail.com.
My also seemingly senseful answer (perhaps the same one) was not accepted either.
I am assuming there was some other detail I overlooked which makes my submission not fully up to par.
We will know soon enough.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I just found a fantastic reimagining of the song, once the answer is posted, I'll try to remember to post it here.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
rjy

Post by rjy »

On the board… just couldn’t see it until I could. Rare time that the step-away-and-come-back-later actually worked for me
Ray
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

On the board. I seldom post here, but wanted to put this to encourage anyone still struggling. If what you come up with makes absolutely no sense, Google it.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Cindy N wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:14 pm On the board. I seldom post here, but wanted to put this to encourage anyone still struggling. If what you come up with makes absolutely no sense, Google it.
Thank you! That had not occurred to me; assumed it was just alphabet soup. On the board.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Cindy N wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:14 pm On the board. I seldom post here, but wanted to put this to encourage anyone still struggling. If what you come up with makes absolutely no sense, Google it.
What she said!
I had everything I needed days ago and couldn't do anything with it all. I just googled it, and now I'm right below you on the leaderboard.
Thank you, Cindy!
Amanda Hugginkiss

Post by Amanda Hugginkiss »

It seems to me that if the wrong answer fits (and I'd say it's more elegant because it doesn't require any extra steps), it should be accepted. It's not the solver's fault there was another layer that made everything much more difficult. I answered "Roar" by Katy Perry. It's an animal sound and its video has 1 billion views, but I didn't get the solve.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Amanda Hugginkiss wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:44 am It seems to me that if the wrong answer fits (and I'd say it's more elegant because it doesn't require any extra steps), it should be accepted. It's not the solver's fault there was another layer that made everything much more difficult. I answered "Roar" by Katy Perry. It's an animal sound and its video has 1 billion views, but I didn't get the solve.
It would argue this answer doesn't "fit." The theme entries in this puzzle are all longer phrases that have an animal sound hidden inside them. "Roar" is just an animal sound by itself, which doesn't fit any pattern established by the puzzle. If you could find a song title that had an animal sound hidden inside it and whose music video had over 1 billion views, then I would say yes it fits. There have been a couple MMMM puzzles where Pete has accepted an alternative answer because of exactly what you're describing; the one that immediately comes to mind is this one (see the paragraph beginning "A total of 19 solvers..."). But I don't think that reasoning applies this month.