MEOW #157 Tea Mascot

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #157 Tea Mascot

Post by DrTom »

Tea Mascot Banner 2.jpg

This little meta is something silly that I came up with on a whim. It is probably not more than a level 1, but given that many are working on a week 4 Matt Gaffney (well actually @benchen71) I am sure a more solvable diversion will be appreciated.

The meta answer is a wild animal

I deem this a:

KITTEN
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Thanks to my testers: @Cinny, @Abide, and @whimsy.

Tea Mascot
crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bag sans cat!
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Maybe I haven't had enough tea yet this morning, but I'm not seeing it.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Katiedid wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:38 am Maybe I haven't had enough tea yet this morning, but I'm not seeing it.
Katiedid without enough tea....well that's not cricket is it?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Cat is out of the bag. I submitted what I considered was a 50/50 guess and saw more of the mechanism post success.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Tea cat is free! (Yes, I do have one of these to keep me company while I drink tea.)
Screenshot_20231129-112627.png
boharr

Post by boharr »

My cat fought this kitten forever before breaking free. Thanks, DrTom.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:28 am Tea cat is free! (Yes, I do have one of these to keep me company while I drink tea.)

Screenshot_20231129-112627.png
Oh, it is not all that uncommon to have a tea catty...

Thanks for solving
Cat Caddy.jpg
woozy

Post by woozy »

You know. With Cap'n Rick calling the SSS a "barely a ripple" and Ben's MGWCC being rated a week 1 (!) and you calling this a Kitten I propose a moratorium on crossword constructors ever declaring their puzzles easy.

EDIT: I will say your puzzle is a fun one for coming up with metanisms that you *know* won't work. It can't be a rabbit hole if you know it won't go anywhere. Now to find a hole that could go anywhere.... well, there's something I'm obviously supposed to do but... big blank in my thinking of anything that fits.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

woozy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 pm You know. With Cap'n Rick calling the SSS a "barely a ripple" and Ben's MGWCC being rated a week 1 (!) ...
Fwiw, I didn't read it as saying it *was* a week 1, just "easier than a usual week 4" and with week 1 solving options.
Meg

Post by Meg »

The cat, debagged, doesn’t know how he feels about this puzzle. But he's a cat, so thinking about it just puts him to sleep. Thanks, Dr. T!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

The "kitten" is out... Thanks, DrTom!
istockphoto-172882100-612x612.jpg
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

De-bagged and back at work. Nobody does wordplay better. Thanks!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 pm You know. With Cap'n Rick calling the SSS a "barely a ripple" and Ben's MGWCC being rated a week 1 (!) and you calling this a Kitten I propose a moratorium on crossword constructors ever declaring their puzzles easy.

EDIT: I will say your puzzle is a fun one for coming up with metanisms that you *know* won't work. It can't be a rabbit hole if you know it won't go anywhere. Now to find a hole that could go anywhere.... well, there's something I'm obviously supposed to do but... big blank in my thinking of anything that fits.
Well I am notoriously bad at rating metas but I never thought this one would play hard to get. I'll send a little nudge to see if you can see why I thought it would be a slam dunk,

Sorry for the angst!

T
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:54 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 pm You know. With Cap'n Rick calling the SSS a "barely a ripple" and Ben's MGWCC being rated a week 1 (!) ...
Fwiw, I didn't read it as saying it *was* a week 1, just "easier than a usual week 4" and with week 1 solving options.
I was referring to https://www.xword-muggles.com/viewtopic ... 09#p148909

and
Joe Ross wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:12 pm MGWCC #808 dropped. It's a Week 1 by @benchen71!
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
woozy

Post by woozy »

DrTom wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:42 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 pm You know. With Cap'n Rick calling the SSS a "barely a ripple" and Ben's MGWCC being rated a week 1 (!) and you calling this a Kitten I propose a moratorium on crossword constructors ever declaring their puzzles easy.

Well I am notoriously bad at rating metas but I never thought this one would play hard to get. I'll send a little nudge to see if you can see why I thought it would be a slam dunk,

Sorry for the angst!

T
I'm not going to read it until I'm really really stuck. Just took a break and bottled 23 1/2 bottles of pinot noir and am now going to look at it with fresh eyes.

... although, I'm one of those people who *NEVER* see anything new with fresh eyes. I just feel like there must be some expression we never use in my neck of the woods. And I can't see what anything has to do with ... stuff.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Got it, with help. Not a kitten, imho. Thanks for the puzzle, @DrTom !
Cynthia
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out! Took quite a few guesses, though. :-)
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Cat is out of the bag and celebrating with an appropriate cuppa...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, I can see why I was totally lost at sea. I'll just leave it at that.

It's not not a kitten though. Just... not my bailiwick. And I misread what things were implied by what other things.