"Debit Where Credit Is Due" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. No hints in the grid; you only have the title to work with. But those four themers really stand out! What do they have in common?

2. The title suggests that, actually, those debits are supposed to be credits.

3. FYI, DR is the abbreviation for "debit" and CR is the abbreviation for "credit".

4. Use that by-now-rather-typical meta strategy: look for other grid entries with clues that could be answered by those new words.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Moat crossed with a couple of nudges....thanks Ben!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Same - needed just one of the nudges, something I had absolutely no clue about but that’s on me to have noodled on my own. Clever idea/construction, thanks Ben!
Ray
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Crossed nudge free at 37,000 feet! Great meta!

Stay well
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Solver update, while I have a quiet moment!

Johnny Luau
Carolyn
Jaclyn
kurtalert
SamKat9
LindaPRmaven
Streroto
rjy

That's 43. Next (and last) solver update right before the answer reveal Monday morning (Australia time).
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
hoover

Post by hoover »

trudged across the MOAT!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Final solver update:

hoover
Sharkicicles
Spid4567

That's 46 in total. Answer soon...
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Debit Where Credit Is Due":

Debit Where Credit Is Due (solution).png

Back to "week 1" difficulty tomorrow! :D
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

This was a fun one- would have considered a “week 1.5” except I didn’t know CR and DR stood for credit and debit. With that nude it fell pretty quickly.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I never even realized it was CR and DR, I figured it was just D and C for Debit and Credit and everything worked out just fine.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

schmidzy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:14 pm I never even realized it was CR and DR, I figured it was just D and C for Debit and Credit and everything worked out just fine.
I think in the early planning stage for this meta, I was under the impression that Debit was DB: so switch out the DBs and replace them with CRs. But when I researched further, I discovered that Debit was actually DR. So, instead of pulping the idea, I went ahead and did it anyway! :D