Don't Know Much About History

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

General and Cap'n Crossing Delaware.jpg
The General and the Cap'n crossing the Delaware. (Special thanks to @Bird Lives for the Photoshop idea!)

Ahoy Muggles!

The important historical event is "Washington Crossing the Delaware" (or similar variant). To solve, puzzlers first needed to notice the five historically inaccurate dates symmetrically placed among the clues at 1A, 41A, 75A, 23D, and 31D. The next step involved supplying the correct information for these dates (e.g. LUCKY LINDY's flight was in 1927, not 1978). The corrected portions of the dates corresponded to five grid entries that, when highlighted, graphically (and literally) depicted GEN WASHING TON crossing DELA WARE. And, of course, to secure his important victory, GEN WASHING TON had to go through the HESS IANS symmetrically encamped there along the DELA WARE. :D

Reveal Table and Grid.jpg

This particular Revolutionary War battle always fascinated me because it occurred over Christmas 1776 during a blustery nor'easter. Before surprising the Hessians at their winter quarters in Trenton, NJ, Washington's troops not only had to negotiate the ice-choked Delaware River but also had to march several miles along icy roads. Spies had warned that Washington's army was on the move, but apparently those jolly Germans were more interested in making merry. :D

Thanks for solving, everyone!

Until next time!
Cap'n Rick

Stats.jpg
Last edited by Cap'n Rick on Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

too late...
Seattle DB

Post by Seattle DB »

Wow, what a tremendous puzzle, and the symmetry is stunning! (I'm adding this to my "Crossword Puzzle Hall of Fame" collection!)