MEOW #156 Do Over

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DelanQ

Post by DelanQ »

Tough grid! But a nice and easy path to freeing the cat! Thanks!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I haven't quite figured out the mechanism. Must be something I'm not familiar with. Guess I'll have to wait for the nudges.
Jay
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Lots of fun for us too!
Thanks, DrTom!

Oh yeah, cat's (almost ready to go) out --
Capturecatgussieup.PNG
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: :turkey: Enjoyed solving this one just as much the second time around. Thanks!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Managed to avoid the temptation to overthink this one. Cat’s out and waiting for the turkey liver. (Cause I’ve always heard not to include that in the gravy as it will make it cloudy or something. Anyone know if that’s really true?)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:19 pm I haven't quite figured out the mechanism. Must be something I'm not familiar with. Guess I'll have to wait for the nudges.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

BarbaraK wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:22 pm Managed to avoid the temptation to overthink this one. Cat’s out and waiting for the turkey liver. (Cause I’ve always heard not to include that in the gravy as it will make it cloudy or something. Anyone know if that’s really true?)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Well I don't know, but America's Test Kitchen does:

You should remove these parts from the cavity and save all but the liver (which can impart a mineral, bitter taste to stock) for making gravy. The neck, gizzard, and heart contribute meaty favor to stock. The liver, identifiable by its amorphous shape and shiny, dark red exterior, can impart a mineral taste to stock.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

hcbirker wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:11 pm Cat is out and watching me cook. Stay away from that turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving all!
Oh, I'm sure mine will be "helping" me tomorrow. "Is it okay if we wind through your legs Dad, huh, is it???
Thanksgiving cat.jpg
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

WOW guys, now I really have something to be thankful for:
1 Meg(T)
2 KayW (T)
3 Snood (T)
4 Bird Lives (T)
5 Benchen71
6 MaineMarge
7 LindaPRMaven
8 Schmeel
9 Berto
10 Cindy Weatherman
11 LarsCaine
12 MrTex
13 boharr
14 Cindy Heisler
15 DCBilly
16 ChrisKochmanski
17 LM
18 DaveC
19 hoover
20 DIS
21 Darth
22 Madhatter5
23 Tom Wilson
24 Pair O Dicks
25 whimsy
26 lbray
27 hector
28 Carolyn
29 MatthewL
30 woozy
31 ajk
32 markhr
33 CPJohnson
34 edestlin
35 MWoychick
36 kymike
37 imontoo
38 HeadinHome
39 heidi
40 Katiedid
41 Dortiz
42 LB800
43 Jacklyn
44 sharkicicles
45 andeux
46 Trypmom
47 DebbieC
48 BarbaraK
49 Philip Chow
50 Seamus
51 Dow Jones
52 Laura M
53 DelanQ

That is certainly a first day record for me so thank you to all the solvers. It seems to have a lot of fans, I guess it is better to go for a level 3 in the funny as opposed to the mechanism. Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope everyone gets to share in the comfort of friends and family and food (and the last F - football- of course)
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Great clues! Thanks DrTom!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Dr, thanks for the puzzle and I hope you have a great thanksgiving.
Meg

Post by Meg »

And no complaints about a certain clue not passing the breakfast test. Happy Thanksgiving to all! How come there’s no Cat Show on tv?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:49 am And no complaints about a certain clue not passing the breakfast test. Happy Thanksgiving to all! How come there’s no Cat Show on tv?
EXACTLY - the MEOW forum will officially protest, I mean what group of cats would not sit by while people poked and prodded them then walk prancingly alongside their human...well once they got out of the bag that is. I guess we will all have to go to Cleveland (where thy have the annual CFA - Cat Fanciers Association) show each year. Get ready for visitors @Joe Ross
Cat Show small.jpg
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:25 am
Meg wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:49 am And no complaints about a certain clue not passing the breakfast test. Happy Thanksgiving to all! How come there’s no Cat Show on tv?
EXACTLY - the MEOW forum will officially protest, I mean what group of cats would not sit by while people poked and prodded them then walk prancingly alongside their human...well once they got out of the bag that is. I guess we will all have to go to Cleveland (where thy have the annual CFA - Cat Fanciers Association) show each year. Get ready for visitors @Joe Ross

Fortunately for me, I am at the opposite corner of Ohio & 5 hours away. You are forewarned, @ship4u!

Visitors: Stop by Luna Bakery Cafe on your way to see Don & Cynthia.

If invited, I suggest lunch down to Skyline Chili in Lyndhurst.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:08 pm
DrTom wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:25 am

Fortunately for me, I am at the opposite corner of Ohio & 5 hours away. You are forewarned, @ship4u!

Visitors: Stop by Luna Bakery Cafe on your way to see Don & Cynthia.

If invited, I suggest lunch down to Skyline Chili in Lyndhurst.
All those darn C towns in Ohio: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus....never could keep them straight. Living in Michigan we only ever really acknowledged two of those.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Not much more activity, of course with Thanksgiving and a new WSJ as well...
54 Alex Sisti
55 CJ
56 Qmark
57 rayyandroid
58 Darrell

Nudges tomorrow!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudge Friday

Besides being a nudge towards the mechanism and answer, the Title refers to a recent puzzle by Bird Lives

As with many of my puzzles, the graphic is a nudge in itself

Isn't it amazing how you can add a prefix to a word and get a whole new word (Hey wasn't that a Disney song?)

Let me repeat, replacement is an important revenue source for some home repair people...

There HAS to be a reason for my odd (and in my estimation, HILARIOUS) cluing to give words you do not expect. Do those words stand on their own?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

One more joins the solver board to make it 59

59. Sendhil Revuluri

Probably be a rather large distraction with the WSJ. I know I'm getting nowhere fast.

T
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

As so often happens, I did quite a bit of overthinking on this. When I broke it down on a simpler level, the answer quickly became apparent. Nice offering from the punmeister!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Jeremy Smith wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:07 pm As so often happens, I did quite a bit of overthinking on this. When I broke it down on a simpler level, the answer quickly became apparent. Nice offering from the punmeister!
Thank you Jeremy, I will restrain myself trying no to make a punny rejoinder. With your submission I now have:

60 Jeremy Smith

solvers