"Sounds Like A Simpsons Holiday Special" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"Sounds Like A Simpsons Holiday Special" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? Successful solvers should be able to work out what the seed entry was for this puzzle. Actually, you might be able to work that out even if you don't solve the meta, the answer to which is something you might see on a laden table at this time of year (in the US).

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Sounds Like A Simpsons Holiday Special - Crosshare
Sounds Like A Simpsons Holiday Special - PUZ
Sounds Like A Simpsons Holiday Special - PDF
Sounds Like A Simpsons Holiday Special - spreadsheet

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Minor clue edit (not meta-related): 8D should be

"The Planets" composer, ___ Holst

ALL LINKED FILES HAVE BEEN CORRECTED.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks, Ben. Most of us are headed for a food coma, a parade, a dog show and some American football (not in that order). You should make a trip to the U.S, sometime to experience it. On behalf of all Muggles in America, c'mon to my house!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

I have crossed the moat and taken a trip down memory lane... thanks, Ben!
boharr

Post by boharr »

DOH
Thanks.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, feast consumed. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: :turkey: De-moated. Fun one - THANKS so much for this and all the other metas you create for us, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Crossed the MOAT, but not entirely sure how. I think I missed some pieces. Backsolving, commence!
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed... Well, I guess it's Homer for the holidays! Thanks, Ben.
9ab47842a89d640dd441c48c3540f38f--miniature-golf-mini-golf.jpg
woozy

Post by woozy »

Well, that was original. Happens to be what I'll be bringing to the table.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Moat crossed! Happy Thanksgiving to all and especially Ben!
Heidi
hoover

Post by hoover »

Crossed the MOAT! Now to enjoy [redacted].
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Oh, dear. How big a disadvantage do I have if I've never seen a Simpsons episode and know nothing about it other than the names that show up in crossword puzzles?
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

BarbaraK wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm Oh, dear. How big a disadvantage do I have if I've never seen a Simpsons episode and know nothing about it other than the names that show up in crossword puzzles?
About the same as for this past week's WSJCC, IMHO. Tho I knew that one, whereas I've seen maybe one complete Simpson's episode. Interwebbing came to my rescue here.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Fun and timely, thanks. :)

One piece might require backsolving for those not steeped in the show (but should be easy I would think).
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:11 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:56 pm Oh, dear. How big a disadvantage do I have if I've never seen a Simpsons episode and know nothing about it other than the names that show up in crossword puzzles?
About the same as for this past week's WSJCC, IMHO. Tho I knew that one, whereas I've seen maybe one complete Simpson's episode. Interwebbing came to my rescue here.
Thanks for the encouragement. Google did indeed show me the way across the MOAT. Now I'm hungry:)
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!

And preparing to feast.

Thanks, Ben!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Meg wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:38 am Thanks, Ben. Most of us are headed for a food coma, a parade, a dog show and some American football (not in that order). You should make a trip to the U.S, sometime to experience it. On behalf of all Muggles in America, c'mon to my house!
If I'm ever back in the US, I will definitely take up your offer! :D
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

IMG_2178.jpeg
Moat no match for this genius!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Moat crossed. Castle stormed. Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate. Thanks, Ben!