"Burn Out" by BarbaraK

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
BarbaraK

"Burn Out" by BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Good morning, muggles!

It's Sssunday, and it must be sssumery somewhere, so it's time for your SSS!

I originally conceived this as a non-meta puzzle, but I realized that I could make it a meta by not including the answer in the grid. And metas are more fun, right? I certainly hope you have fun with it.

I don't think you will find it very difficult, but we've all heard that before, so we'll just see what happens.

Standard nudges will be posted this afternoon. Custom nudges available any time.

The meta answer is one of Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Burn Out:
Crosshare
PUZ
PDF
spreadsheet

Thanks to Peter @Abide for his exceptional mentoring and encouragement.
Thanks to @Cap'n Rick, @Wendy Walker, and @whimsy for test solving and very helpful feedback.
Thanks to @Joe Ross for all the behind the scenes tech setup that makes this work so well for constructors and solvers.

Hope you enjoy!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Sssolved. Great fun. Thank you, Barbara.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Sssolved ssswiftly. Thanks Barbara!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Sssolved. Fun! Thanks, Barbara.
Cindy Heisler
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Sssolved! Sssaw it quickly. Thanks for constructing.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

SSSolved.... fun one... great song.
Thanks for the puzzle Barbara.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

SSSolved....love it (the puzzle and the song)...thanks Barbara!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :snake: SSSolved. Fun start to the day Barbara - thanks!!!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Sssolved. Thanksss for keeping the sssummer alive. ;)
woozy

Post by woozy »

SSSolved. Not all that burnt out.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Solved after a couple of false starts that were plausible but less precise fits. Fun one, thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Anybody need some nudges? They’re in order from least to most nudgey, so you can look as far as you wish.

The first nudge is actually in the puzzle - the clue for 15-Down says that the perimeter is the place to find the theme entries.

So there are eight words on the perimeter of the grid. On their own, they don’t seem to have anything in common. But is there a word you could put with all of them? (Yes, there is:)

The word that goes with the theme words goes in front of them.

If you need to narrow down the possibilities, take another look at the title. It hints at the word you’ll be using.

Specifically, the word “Burn” hints at the word to add.

Once you’ve got the word, that and the position of the theme entries should lead you to the song title, assuming it’s one you’ve heard of.

But if nothing is coming to mind, maybe this is a song you don’t know. Here’s a website with the Rolling Stone list: https://genius.com/Rolling-stone-the-50 ... -annotated If you search for the word, you’ll find it in several song titles, and hopefully one strike you as a good fit for this puzzle.

If that’s not enough, feel free to PM me for more.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks for the fun sssolve. No nudges needed.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Sssolved on the second try.
Heidi
hoover

Post by hoover »

SSSolved! Love the song!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

SSSolved after nudges. Nice job, Barb.
Meet Lenore, introduced to us by the 23A mystery writer.
She’ll live here forever.
IMG_3528.jpeg
BethA

Post by BethA »

Thx for the puzzle! Enjoyed it, no nudges needed! 27D made me laugh — I have ONLY ever heard of it in crosswords!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Did it again to redeem myself after not quite getting it when testing -- I did not read something correctly! :shock:
"Repeat after me: 'Sssee Ssspot Ssslither.'"
Untitledzzsnakebook.png
Fun puzzle whatever the answer, Barbara!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Well, I got it, finally. I had everything I needed, up to nudge 6. I forgot about a certain meta-solving technique. Thanks, Barbara!
Cynthia
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

SSSolved without nudges but with the list and Search. This one was much higher on the list than I would have thought.
Jay