"Sound Logic" November 17, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

kgiano wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:31 pm Would you consider recording the zoom call for those who can't join at the scheduled time to review later on?
@kgiano

We have talked about that a couple of times. Two things to consider
1) since it is my account and only the host or cohost can start the recording, that would mean that I would have to be present for each zoom call and that is not always possible
2) there is concern that recording the zoom call would impact the flow of discussion

The best thing if you can't make the zoom call is to PM someone with what you have done and where you are stuck and over time set up a relationship with another muggle to do some level of cosolving.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Lube On

Post by Lube On »

Got it finally but had to get it confirmed by the one and only Wendy Walker.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore! Staying up to watch Practice 3 tonight and then the F1 race at Midnight (!)(CST) Saturday. Definitely could be planned better.
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

Solved but not a fan of puzzle..
Scott Lindholm

Post by Scott Lindholm »

Done and done. I'm not 100 pct in on my answer, but I can easily defend it.

Haven't been ashore in a while, this pic would have been more appropriate about three weeks ago. The younger daughter was in Washington DC, and heard there was some kind of Jim Henson museum in Baltimore, so she checked it out. While walking there, she stumbled across an Edgar Allan Poe fest of some sort and ran across this gentleman.

Safe travels and a great Thanksgiving to all.
Attachments
IMG_7735.jpeg
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore after taking a sounding which showed me I couldn’t fathom wading ashore in those deep waters. Buddy @Bob cruise director towed me ashore as usual.
Not a clue on this one!
Here are some waters I can wade in
IMG_7940.jpeg
Our water garden- 3 feet max
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

This NC Tar Heel is on shore! Love it! Great Meta! Good job Matt!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Ashore. Saw the answer a mile off, unlike my 20-something kids.

On a visit to my daughter’s in Minneapolis. So a semi-in-person solve this week!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I am on shore with a Yuengling. I'm visiting two of the GRAnds so I didn't even print the puzzle until midnight last night. No need to be heavY-HEarted this week as I saw the path pretty quickly this morning. Whew--I'd been getting tired of being wRONg.
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

On the shore and definitely thanked my lucky stars that my husband quotes this movie constantly.
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
Bettedavis

Post by Bettedavis »

On the beach!
EmilyW

Post by EmilyW »

Ashore! I didn't get it at first but the Aha hit me while watching a different movie.
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Puzzle finished but keeping Isaac company. This is what I get for seeing one movie a year tops.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Finally stumbled to shore after a two week drinking binge with Isaac. What a hangover!
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Ashore Friday afternoon. Well done Matt.
Kevin
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore.
jmorgie7

Post by jmorgie7 »

Ashore. sheesh. clever ... for some reason i have been quoting this movie for the last few months. one of the best. this calls for a 40 year aged Highland Park
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Late start. On shore and happy to see it after an extended absence.

I suspect there will be a significant solving distribution based on age.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Rufus T. Firefly
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:10 pm Welp, I was completely unaware of the things you’d need to know to solve this one, but some creative googling gave me an education. Submitted & assume I’m on shore. I’ll order drinks and pretend to be hip to this jive. (Might need to go looking for this on on Netflix… I’ve certainly heard of it!)
Ashore. Same experience. Never seen it but now might have to. Had to be a fun construction for Matt.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Toby wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:40 pm Got it. I'm surprised by how many of us know about this movie...
I’m surprised by how many don’t know it. And in at least one case, the specific reference. But then, I guess a person’s cultural context is myopic. (“Why of course everyone knows the same cultural references that I know, right? ….No?”)

But I agree with others that this one will probably be one where those who know it, know it, and probably like the puzzle. And those who don’t know it, either won’t get it or will google until they do, and not like the puzzle. I’d say it’s not my favorite puzzle, but only because it was so obvious to me that there was no challenge. My kids, in their 20’s, didn’t get the answer right off the bat even though they saw the metanism. Then I gave them the obvious hint (you know what I’m talking anbout), and they knew it instantly. But I doubt either has watched the movie.

And I can believe that while most people (or at least Americans in the. ‘80’s) would find the movie very enjoyable, as I certainly did, others might not like it at all due to its particular “style.”

Resisting the temptation to reel off a few quotes…..