Resolution

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Off the comfortable couch. Great puzzle and thank you for the nudges :)
ajk

Post by ajk »

Needed the third nudge to show me that I was doing things kind of backwards. Fun stuff as always, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Well, it took longer than it should but that is all on me.
What a brilliant puzzle! Happily off the couch and waiting for our weekly treat!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Off the couch with nudges, thanks so much!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Since last head count, another two dozen solvers have turned up, brining the total to seventy-one.
Solvers 2.jpg
The answer is NOT AGAIN.

The self-effacing prompt ("what you might say on seeing yet another Bird Lives puzzle") emerged from the scheduling, which I had nothing to do with. The two previous SSS metas had been mine, one of them appearing just the day before this MMM. But the answer NOT AGAIN is also integral with the metanism.

The RE prefix often means that the root of the word is done again. That’s obvious with words like retweet (tweet again). But in even many less literal re-words, the sense of the root word is still present (reform, review, etc). The eight symmetrically placed themers are all words whose meaning changes entirely when preceded by RE. So REPLY is not PLY again; REVEAL is not VEAL again, and so on. The actual meaning of each RE-word can be clued by one of the other clues. The entries for those clues, top to bottom, spell out the answer.
Solution text 400.jpg
Solution 400.jpg
Thanks to all for the kind and often clever comments.
Jay