MGWCC #805 — “You Built This City”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed. My streak has hit 100. I'm contemplating not submitting for one week and purposely ending it. Thanksgiving might be a good time to ease the stress. Plus, it would give Jangler a chance to catch up. LOL
Brainbow

Post by Brainbow »

Made it! Both the WSJ and the MGWCC are in the bag.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Just missed update by two minutes. Seems like a week one to me.

Edit-#80
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Got it, but it was a struggle!
Last flowers of the season: monkshood, marigolds, mums.
Attachments
monks.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

markhr wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:28 pm In at number 47. The so-called easy WSJ is still eluding me, though.
WSJ easy? It certainly wasn't for me. And I noticed several people who thought they'd solved it quickly, later realized they'd missed something and were on the wrong shore.

MGWCC was not as easy as week 1s often are, but beamed up without too much fuss.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

done, back to the WSJ, still lost at sea there

edit: on at #98, built that one just fine
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
eckmania

Post by eckmania »

I’m pretty pumped! This is my first 25 week streak ever!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Downs-only, no-instructions, foolishly submitted without peeking but clearly seemed a solid click. Awaiting tractor beam…
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

Got it, thanks to @schmidzy

Hardest. Week. One. EVER!

Straightforward and elegant but damned near impossible to see. A week 2.5 at least but 3 would be .... well, I've had easier times with week 3s but I guess this is a little too straightforward to be a week 3.

Very. very. VERY. hard puzzle
rjy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:41 pm Downs-only, no-instructions, foolishly submitted without peeking but clearly seemed a solid click. Awaiting tractor beam…

Um... you're kidding. RIght? You HAVE to be kidding.

EDIT: Beamed at #121. (Is it my imagination but do I frequently beam at #121?)
Last edited by woozy on Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
rjy

Post by rjy »

woozy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:00 pm Got it, thanks to @schmidzy

Hardest. Week. One. EVER!

Straightforward and elegant but damned near impossible to see. A week 2.5 at least but 3 would be .... well, I've had easier times with week 3s but I guess this is a little too straightforward to be a week 3.

Very. very. VERY. hard puzzle
rjy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:41 pm Downs-only, no-instructions, foolishly submitted without peeking but clearly seemed a solid click. Awaiting tractor beam…

Um... you're kidding. RIght? You HAVE to be kidding.
Nope! Sometimes something you try works, many many times it doesn’t. It was a blind squirrel kinda day
Ray
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Definitely tricky for a week 1!]

... and I'm beamed at #137. :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Beamed. A bit on the tough side for a week 1, but very fair. Didn't seem inelegant at all.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I got it I think. There was an alternate for one of the letters that had me stumped .. then I found the other option, that works. Submitting.
The other Wendy. :roll:
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Submitted and as confident as I ever am. Agree it seems more like a week 2, but well done.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Okay had to refocus my brain that this was not a week one. Awaiting beamage. I needed some dilithium crystals from @BarbaraK
Heidi
WabiSabi

Post by WabiSabi »

Getting dinner ready with my wife tonight, I found myself singing "We built this city on rock and roll..." and wondered aloud "Why is that song stuck in my head?"
Oh yeah... thanks Matt Gaffney!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed up. Funny how it makes things difficult when you have a couple of mistakes in the grid in crucial places so that you get letters that make no sense.

If I was #125 at quarter past six, this is certainly not a genuine Week One. No badge for me this week, but I'm betting that Matt will post my comment.
Jay
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Got a chance to do this one and awaiting the beam!

I'm going to be doing puzzles more sporadically...I had my son on Monday, and it turns out having a newborn and a toddler is an exercise in controlling (or embracing) chaos. Who knew? ;) I hope everyone has a good weekend!

Diego on his birthday 🎉

Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
rjy

Post by rjy »

SamKat9 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:21 pm Got a chance to do this one and awaiting the beam!

I'm going to be doing puzzles more sporadically...I had my son on Monday, and it turns out having a newborn and a toddler is an exercise in controlling (or embracing) chaos. Who knew? ;) I hope everyone has a good weekend!
SO excited for you, enjoy the adventure… congrats!
Ray
Berto

Post by Berto »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:46 pm I got it I think. There was an alternate for one of the letters that had me stumped .. then I found the other option, that works. Submitting.
I know exactly what you are referring to, but you can rule one of them out (for an elegant reason and a less elegant reason lol).