"Small Animals" November 3, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ImOnToo

Post by ImOnToo »

Late to the luau. But, on shore. 🏖️
Between the Texas Rangers World Series win (which made me sleepy the next day), the ensuing parade and college football, I couldn’t really concentrate on the meta until today.

By the way, what am I supposed to do with all of this daylight I have been saving? Does Amazon sell daylight storage sheds? Maybe I will ship it to Arizona. They are bound to run short since they just spend their daylight all willy-nilly.
Last edited by ImOnToo on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konnie
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Rode to shore aboard Noah's ark.
Screenshot 2023-11-05 091727.png
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
JoDave

Post by JoDave »

I’ve already submitted an answer so I’ll say on shore. I have another answer that fits but it feels a lot like chasing down a rabbit-hole. I’m looking forward to seeing what other 3-letter animals may show up.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Finally ashore after almost submitting the wrong answer and then a kind muggle pointing out my mistakes. A bit of a morass for me, this one. Hope everyone enjoyed their extra morning sunshine!
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

On Shore - despite a few ambiguities...
jrdad

Post by jrdad »

Finally got it! It turns out those rabbit holes actually led somewhere. Very fun and very Gaffneyesque.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Finally ashore after correcting a slight error in my thinking. Lately, I've either gotten it right away or not at all--so it was nice to know that I can still work through these. I'll have a Guinness since we are going to a harp recital this afternoon.
ErikThor

Post by ErikThor »

Just not seeing it this week. Found some small animals. Anyone feel like giving a nudge? Thanks.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Finally ashore.

Took a small nudge. Corrected course, though I had the right idea with step 1. Went to work on step 2. Had to deliberate over details. But came out with something. To which I said, "What?" Then... 48A.
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Went ahead yesterday and submitted my answer (a.k.a guess). Likely a loser, though, as a post here since that time remains unredacted. Drat. I do look forward to seeing all the things you all found that pointed to an answer and a lock. Nine hours and a eleven minutes to go.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Those who are still working on the meta have an extra hour of torture, ooops, I mean extra hour of FUN, today! :)
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Relic

Post by Relic »

Lost at sea.

Very late start Saturday night - sports, after all. Celebrating a World Series win, watching hockey, college football, and now NFL.

Chased one rabbit into a dark, very cluttered closet. Trying to find my way out of it. Lots of junk in the way.

Isaac, for now, may I have a Coke Zero?
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

I’m still at sea, but still hopeful. Going outside to clear my mind and do some yard work, then I’ll have another look at the puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good afternoon muggles. A delayed Sunday report.

First welcome to our newest muggle @puzzledpuzzler . For all the new muggles, hang in there as the learning curve is steep. However get help from any of a combination of sources including the suggestions in Come Aboard, the zoom calls on Friday, Sunday or Tuesday or getting a relationship with another muggle through private messages. Hang tough.

Currently we have 18 on the ship and 120 on the shore.

Enjoying the football games, the buffet, the drinks and Isaac's conversation on the ship are

Katiedid
Mirage
Commodore
puzzledpuzzler
ErikThor
relic (and Maggie)
JRS51

And making it to shore are

Miki
joe
Fogway
Dickie_Dunn
Char
jimbo1
Grover
MaineMarge
M and M
clonefitz
DrTom
Nycerjohnnie
Deb
Adajeo
ImOnToo
JoDave
jrdad
Bill
ladybird
hunkra
HunterX

Good luck and don't forget the 8 pm EST Last Call zoom session
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Sadly on the ship watching all the big animals on shore partying up a storm.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Been traveling all weekend.... finally solved on our 4th Delta flight!

Feels great to be ashore, I'll have the "usual!"

And it's not what I thought it would be, so that feels good!

Cheers everyone!
🌴🍹
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

I am working on an oil tanker.
JustAQuickThought
zach

Post by zach »

I have been pulled ashore after a game of 20 questions with @BarbaraK that thankfully ended after 3 questions.
Franky_T

Post by Franky_T »

Got it. 48A for me too!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I'm curious whether all of the WSJ meta solvers are aware that Matt Gaffney presents a meta puzzle every single week as part of his Matt Gaffney's Weekly Crossword Contest (MGWCC).

Unlike the free Wall Street Journal puzzle, the MGWCC is a subscriber-only puzzle, emailed to the players each Friday at noon (Eastern), but the cost is the equivalent of a very reasonable 75 cents per puzzle (or only 60 cents in months with five Fridays). The basic rate is a whopping $3 a month.

For about the price of a cup of even the cheapest Starbucks coffee, or a pack of gum, you can drive yourself stark raving mad every single weekend.

To subscribe, visit here: https://www.patreon.com/mgwcc

To read more about the MGWCC puzzles visit here: https://xwordcontest.com/

If you are not otherwise aware, several of your fellow Muggles board mates create their own challenging and exceptionally polished meta puzzles throughout the month. You can find lots of information about those puzzles by checking out the Other Meta Crossword Puzzles topic, right off the main menu of this board

Another outstanding source of meta puzzle challenge is the Muller Monthly Music Meta (MMMM), an absolutely free subscription based puzzle with - you'll never guess - a music theme. Pete Muller, the puzzle master for the MMMM challenge is a true renaissance man. He's not just a cruciverbalist, but a trader, hedge fund manager, outstanding touring musician, and a philanthropist. Find more information about Pete Muller's puzzles here: https://pmxwords.com/mobile/

If you have been waiting, eagerly all week, for a regular dose of meta puzzle fun, whether from the masterful Mike Shenk or the "how can he be in so many places at one time?" Matt Gaffney, there are many other opportunities to take on the challenge, and to add more tools to your meta solving tool kit.

Best of luck, everyone!