Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

WFC wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:57 pm Can someone tell how to enter circles in certain grid
squares.....as seen in many WSJ puzzles during the week? Is there a particular app I should download? Any help much appreciated.

Bill (Nova Scotia)
Hi Bill,

The Crosshare site that I use for constructing has a "highlight" feature that let's you use either circles or shading. Crosshare is free to use (donations appreciated) and has a lot of other handy features.

Good luck,
Rick
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
khecks

Post by khecks »

Hi everyone! I'm Kelly. Long-time muggle lurker, first-time poster :lol: from the Philadelphia area. Fairly new to crosswords and especially new to metas. Getting the hang of the grid but have yet to solve a meta. Stumbled upon all you fine folks several months ago and have been been availing myself of your expertise ever since. Still waiting to take my first steps onto the beach, but thanks to all of you, I have been circling dangerously close to shore the last few weeks and am hopeful I'll get there soon! It's lovely to finally "meet" you all!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

khecks wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:44 pm Hi everyone! I'm Kelly. Long-time muggle lurker, first-time poster :lol: from the Philadelphia area. Fairly new to crosswords and especially new to metas. Getting the hang of the grid but have yet to solve a meta. Stumbled upon all you fine folks several months ago and have been been availing myself of your expertise ever since. Still waiting to take my first steps onto the beach, but thanks to all of you, I have been circling dangerously close to shore the last few weeks and am hopeful I'll get there soon! It's lovely to finally "meet" you all!
Welcome to the group and do not feel concerned about jumping from lurker to poster. This is the most nonjudgemental group you will ever see. If you have any questions, please do not feel reluctant to ask them either to everyone or in a Private Message to anyone. And the zoom sessions are great because they link screen names with real names and faces - both the solving sessions and the Tuesday get togethers.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ferris E

Post by Ferris E »

Hello! This is John in Cheney, WA. I've been dabbling with crossword puzzles for 3 weeks, and came across the WSJ puzzle. I haven't solved a meta, but I have become fascinated with how intricate they are after seeing the solution to "Scale Back". I am already having fun, and I can't wait for the next one to come out! This is me first post. :D
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Welcome Ferris! You may find crossword puzzles, and metas in particular, somewhat addictive. :twisted: If you can't wait until Thursday or if you just want to practice, all the previous WSJ meta puzzles are available here.

Also, there are Zoom meetings throughout the week to discuss the puzzles and do "group solves" if you find yourself stuck. Tuesday evening at 7:30 Eastern is the general discussion, and the WSJ group solves are usually Friday afternoon around 4:30 and Sunday evening at 8 pm Eastern, though those times may vary week to week. All are welcome. The link is under "Muggle Zoom Room" in the website header.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Deleted (because I addressed it to the wrong user! :oops: )
Inca

Post by Inca »

Relic wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:26 pm My name is Alan. I live in Fort Worth, TX. I'm married (43 years) with 3 adult children, all of whom live in the DFW area with their spouses, no grandchildren but 7 granddogs (at last count). We also have an English Bulldog (Maggie), our pride and joy!

I retired in 2017 after working 31 years as a back-office director for a well-known investment firm.

Due to a stroke in 2012, I had to trade in my physical hobbies - bicycling, drumming - for armchair hobbies - crosswords, Greek-Hebrew Language translations - and exercising - walking a mile daily, exercise bike 3 miles daily. I love our hometown sports teams (Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, Mavs) and follow them closely.

I started working the WSJ contest puzzle 6 months ago and started reading posts on this forum soon after. I decided to join because the group interactions are collegial and fun-loving. And I'm all about having fun, especially since I don't have to work tomorrow!
Had some time on my hands and decided to go "meet" some muggles. Your hobby of Greek - Hebrew language translations sounds interesting. I've never heard of that. What does it entail? Tell me more
Relic

Post by Relic »

Inca wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:43 pm Had some time on my hands and decided to go "meet" some muggles. Your hobby of Greek - Hebrew language translations sounds interesting. I've never heard of that. What does it entail? Tell me more
Thanks for asking Inca.
I translate Bible passages from the Hebrew Old Testament and the Greek New Testament into English. More than just translating, the idea is to identify and bring out grammatical idioms and how such idioms affect understanding the text. The real trick is how to pass on grammatical insights to others in a way that is relevant and edifies, rather than causing people to feel like they're hearing a grammar lecture.

So it involves determining the most accurate rendering in English based upon the lexical meaning of a given word as well as how its used grammatically. My process is somewhat academic and deliberative. Kind of boring to most people, but I find it interesting, and like the puzzles discussed in this forum, the AHA moments make it worth the effort.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
Inca

Post by Inca »

Relic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm
Inca wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:43 pm Had some time on my hands and decided to go "meet" some muggles. Your hobby of Greek - Hebrew language translations sounds interesting. I've never heard of that. What does it entail? Tell me more
Thanks for asking Inca.
I translate Bible passages from the Hebrew Old Testament and the Greek New Testament into English. More than just translating, the idea is to identify and bring out grammatical idioms and how such idioms affect understanding the text. The real trick is how to pass on grammatical insights to others in a way that is relevant and edifies, rather than causing people to feel like they're hearing a grammar lecture.

So it involves determining the most accurate rendering in English based upon the lexical meaning of a given word as well as how its used grammatically. My process is somewhat academic and deliberative. Kind of boring to most people, but I find it interesting, and like the puzzles discussed in this forum, the AHA moments make it worth the effort.
Wow, that's amazing. That's more than a hobby; that's more like a calling. And what's really amazing is that little old me gets to rub shoulders with all these brilliant people who choose to spend their "free" time in such ways.
Pattycap

Post by Pattycap »

Okay. Well, hi! I’m Patty, originally from the northeast, smack between Philly and NYC. I did undergraduate work in Vermont and finished graduate work at UCLA and the University of Geneva in Switzerland. I still consider that country my second home. I was married there and have many cousins living throughout that beautiful land. My father was born in Italy. I’m now in Florida but will probably return home to Bucks County at some point. So far, solving the crosswords has been easy but I’ve yet to solve any of the contest puzzles. It’s been both fun and frustrating to try! Hopefully, I’ll get the hang of it with practice. A warm hello to all.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

Relic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:40 pm
Thanks for asking Inca.

Any comment on the whole kamelos issue? You know, how “camel through the eye of a needle” is a total mistranslation?? Kamelos means thick rope in Greek.
DASouth

Post by DASouth »

Good day, all. A fledgling cruciverbalist here.

Nice to meet you all and find this place, which I stumbled upon a few months back after adding the recent addiction of crosswords to already existing addiction of morning coffee. I often do these alone but occasionally with two co-workers at my job. The Friday "metas" (is that the right word for them?) have become especially fun and frustrating. After "making it ashore" (again, not sure about the lingo, yet) for the second time last week (6.17.22, "Water You Looking For?"), I figured I am now fully hooked.

Happy to be here, and I hope to find some resources to better solve these contest crosswords, and I am 2/16 since I started.
"But he was never happy without something to do, and before long was mentally debating whether to put some Wagner on the record player or do a crossword."
Hsiaotsu

Post by Hsiaotsu »

I started doing crossword puzzles as my career wound down. Two years into retirement, I do 7 - 8 puzzles every morning while my wife is still sleeping. Try to hit NYT, Wapo, AARP puzzles, and WSJ, of course. WSJ ones can be most frustrating, particularly the ones where there's no way to know if everything is correct. But it's these little slings and arrows that keep life interesting.
mangyplatypus

Post by mangyplatypus »

Hi all! This is Kristin in Huntsville, AL. I'm an engineer and crossword enthusiast. I've been doing the nyt xword since I was 13, but only discovered the muggles and wsj crossword contest a few weeks ago. Now solving the meta puzzle is the highlight of my week!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

mangyplatypus wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:09 pm Hi all! This is Kristin in Huntsville, AL. I'm an engineer and crossword enthusiast. I've been doing the nyt xword since I was 13, but only discovered the muggles and wsj crossword contest a few weeks ago. Now solving the meta puzzle is the highlight of my week!
Welcome. I spent a lot of time at the Arsenal during the 70's, 80's and 90's. And some scary trips getting there on Southern Airlines
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 am
mangyplatypus wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:09 pm Hi all! This is Kristin in Huntsville, AL. I'm an engineer and crossword enthusiast. I've been doing the nyt xword since I was 13, but only discovered the muggles and wsj crossword contest a few weeks ago. Now solving the meta puzzle is the highlight of my week!
Welcome. I spent a lot of time at the Arsenal during the 70's, 80's and 90's. And some scary trips getting there on Southern Airlines
I was driving alongside the Redstone Arsenal one night during a TDY, and there, right on the other side of the fence, was the most beautiful aircraft ever built: The SR-71 Blackbird.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:08 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 am
I was driving alongside the Redstone Arsenal one night during a TDY, and there, right on the other side of the fence, was the most beautiful aircraft ever built: The SR-71 Blackbird.
Redstone Arsenal is an hour away from my house on the lake.
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

Donald near College Station, life-long Agggy. Started on crosswords a couple of months ago and would like to try the contest, but the if the bit I saw about spreadsheets is accurate- not interested.
In any event, howdy!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

kawaja wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:44 pm Donald near College Station, life-long Agggy. Started on crosswords a couple of months ago and would like to try the contest, but the if the bit I saw about spreadsheets is accurate- not interested.
In any event, howdy!
I enjoy these immensely without going anywhere near a spreadsheet! :D
kawaja

Post by kawaja »

Whimsy
Thanks, good to hear.