Introduce Yourself

Please come in and say hello and tell us something about yourself.
Snavec

Post by Snavec »

Hi All,
I’m a big fan of Hex’s Cryptics and though I’ve routinely done the Friday WSJ puzzles, I’d been ignoring the meta for years (kicking myself now). I got last weeks retail store and it seemed great fun. I’ve been staring at pop duos since Friday morning (where iliterally started on the beach but haven’t figuratively gotten there). I’ve enjoyed reading the comments and cameraderie in the forum.
DunningKruger

Post by DunningKruger »

How sweet it is to find kindred spirits!

I started leaning into crosswords earlier this year (Wordle, NYT Mini, and myriad other daily games being the gateway drug). I eschewed the WSJ Friday metas for the first couple months, but have started leaning into them and finally trudged my way ashore this week.

I look forward to getting to know the community better, and hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!
ParkerBlack

Post by ParkerBlack »

Hello everyone! Been lurking on these forums for a while now and have been enjoying doing these meta crosswords with my girlfriend who introduced them to me. We also have enjoyed doing the cryptics and other variety puzzles together and started the Muller Monthly Music Meta this year. I decided to finally join this group to see what it feels like as a joiner haha.
Nyctanassa

Post by Nyctanassa »

Hey y'all, I'm very new to the WSJ Crossword Contest. This is my second week attempting it! I have been doing the WAPO Crosswords for the past few months, and a colleague recommended the WSJ crossword contest. I love coastal birds, so even if I don't make it ashore I don't mind drifting asea with the gulls, terns, and pelicans.
SReh26

Post by SReh26 »

How about the EGRETS, lol.

(That term often appears in WSJ puzzles.)
Last edited by SReh26 on Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kjwilson89

Post by Kjwilson89 »

Hi, been doing the contest on and off for at least 2 years. I solve one when every once in awhile. This things try my crazy, so I finally decided to join the group and get some help. I will take any on this weeks. Looking forward to getting better and hopefully getting that mug.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Kjwilson89 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:36 pm Hi, been doing the contest on and off for at least 2 years. I solve one when every once in awhile. This things try my crazy, so I finally decided to join the group and get some help. I will take any on this weeks. Looking forward to getting better and hopefully getting that mug.
Welcome to the group. Two options for help. Send me or anyone who has solved a Private Message telling what you have done and where you think your are stuck. We will get back to you with a nudge in the right direction.

Also at 8 pm tonight there is a Zoom Last call to help solvers plus meet other muggles.

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
larinlou

Post by larinlou »

Larry from Louisiville, KY. Retired pediatrician, competitor at the ACPT for many years. (Won the 70's age group) Did some non-published crossword construction as an educational aid for medical students and pediatric residents.
CCubed

Post by CCubed »

Hi! Leslie here from St. Louis. I hated crossword puzzles… I tried them and never understood how the answers made any sense. Then I learned a thing or two (or thirty) and am now a daily WSJ crossworder. I rarely get the Friday puzzle right and when the answer is revealed, I wonder… how in the world can anyone see that? Seems so convoluted to me. I am a 42-year-old, stay-at-home mom of 5, and a right-brained, artist. I work on the crossword after walking my kids to school and stopping by my parent’s home on my walk back to mine. I work these puzzles with my left-brained, 76-year-old father. We sit for Coffee, Crosswords, and Convo; hence, “CCubed.” One day I will get that mug. I promised him we would. Thanks for having me.

P.S. I never understood: “ashore” “beer me” “still on the boat” and wondering where that theme and those terms came from.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

☕ Welcome, Leslie & Dad!

I'll leave it to those who were there to explain your post-scripted questions.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

CCubed wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:41 am Hi! Leslie here from St. Louis. I hated crossword puzzles… I tried them and never understood how the answers made any sense. Then I learned a thing or two (or thirty) and am now a daily WSJ crossworder. I rarely get the Friday puzzle right and when the answer is revealed, I wonder… how in the world can anyone see that? Seems so convoluted to me. I am a 42-year-old, stay-at-home mom of 5, and a right-brained, artist. I work on the crossword after walking my kids to school and stopping by my parent’s home on my walk back to mine. I work these puzzles with my left-brained, 76-year-old father. We sit for Coffee, Crosswords, and Convo; hence, “CCubed.” One day I will get that mug. I promised him we would. Thanks for having me.

P.S. I never understood: “ashore” “beer me” “still on the boat” and wondering where that theme and those terms came from.
Welcome! Glad to have you and your father joining us!

The at sea/shore thing started from the observation that in crosswords, and basically no where else, “at sea” is said to mean lost and confused.

A couple people have written up how it grew from there at Muggle Overview.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

@CCubed Welcome to you and your dad. Getting proficient at metas takes a lot of time and practice. And we are here to help. Under viewforum.php?f=18 in addition to the background that Barbara mentioned above, there is a wealth of suggestions on how to attack metas. In addition, when you get stuck there are a bunch of forum related options to keep the frustration level down. We have zoom sessions on Fridays at 4:30 pm ET and a Last Call solving session at 8 PM ET on Sunday plus you can send a private message to anyone at any time and tell them what you did and where you are stuck. All of these will also make you feel like you are not the only one struggling.

And tell your dad that we 76 year old left brainers have to stick together.

Again, welcome to the group.

Feel free to PM about any questions you might have.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
fivehalves

Post by fivehalves »

Half a dozen posts in, I figure it's time to introduce myself! I'm Jay, he/him. I think I'm quite a bit younger than a lot of you-- many of you seem to be retired from long and accomplished careers, while I have yet to have my first "real" job (still working on that compsci college degree.) I've been doing metas for a few months now. I like various kinds of puzzles besides crosswords-- jigsaws, Puzzled Pint, escape rooms when I get a chance. I also like reading books and comics, and drawing (that profile pic is a self-portrait!) Happy to be here, everyone has been super nice and I'm looking forward to meeting more people.
Jay, he/him
Kevin L

Post by Kevin L »

Hello, this is Kevin from sunny Florida. Happy to be on board.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

fivehalves wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:13 pm Half a dozen posts in, I figure it's time to introduce myself! I'm Jay, he/him. I think I'm quite a bit younger than a lot of you-- many of you seem to be retired from long and accomplished careers, while I have yet to have my first "real" job (still working on that compsci college degree.) I've been doing metas for a few months now. I like various kinds of puzzles besides crosswords-- jigsaws, Puzzled Pint, escape rooms when I get a chance. I also like reading books and comics, and drawing (that profile pic is a self-portrait!) Happy to be here, everyone has been super nice and I'm looking forward to meeting more people.
Hi Jay, welcome! I joined not too long ago and I love it here!
Kevin L wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:41 pm Hello, this is Kevin from sunny Florida. Happy to be on board.
Welcome Kevin, also from sunny Florida!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Abide

Post by Abide »

fivehalves wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:13 pm Half a dozen posts in, I figure it's time to introduce myself! I'm Jay, he/him.
And Jay (Mr. 2.5?) is scheduled for the 12/31 SSS. Thanks Jay!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
ignatiusJ

Post by ignatiusJ »

New member. Coworker has me hooked on LAT, WSJ, NYT, NYer, etc. lately. Stumbled on this site after trying to get some insight on the WSJ contests. Trying my first one with Gift List. I think I might be on the path but definitely need a nudge, lol. Hopefully in time I can start solving on my own.
Quiara

Post by Quiara »

Hi all - I am an established constructor whose work has been discussed on this site before, who's never gotten into the habit of doing metas - but I want to! They're fun, and they give me inspiration for my non-meta themed puzzles.
kevindiabetes

Post by kevindiabetes »

Hi all! 2024 resolution to try the WSJ crossword contest and I thought it best to seek out advice. Still learning and happy to join a supportive group of individuals!
Damaged

Post by Damaged »

Hey Muggles.

Thank you for welcoming me into your fold - I'm Jack, a Commander in your US Navy. The "ashore/asea" jokes are not lost on me, as when I am at sea I am typically confused.

Been a practicing cruciverbalist for about a decade - when I started solving the NYT Saturday in under 20 minutes I decided I needed a new challenge. Took the WSJ 101 "course" and I'm rocking a 75% success rate. I am humbled before you meta-solvers... this junk is no joke.