MGWCC #804 — "Color Matching"

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Meg

Post by Meg »

Looks like the meta gods have been kind this week. I’m feeling much better today!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:03 am Okay, it seems he's taking at least two answers this week. Flexible Matt.
Interesting! I thought I’d seen the number of wrong answers going down, not up.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
KayW

Post by KayW »

Submitted and fairly confident I can argue this answer if it's not the intended one. Well, at least more confident in this one than last week's AMOCO :confounded:

A non-solo solve for me this week as I spent some time IN-PERSON consulting with @Joe Ross on a drop-time WAG. The fact that the WAG missed the mark is the only dark spot on a wonderful visit with Joe and some of his family (in Chicago for a wedding).
thumbnail_IMG_6871x.jpg
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

For those achievement completists, playing along at home, the next opportunity to earn the Nothing Scarier badge (Solve a Week 5 on Halloween) will be October 31, 2025.

Halloween in 2025 falls on Friday, so all aspirants will have 12 hours to solve a Week 5 puzzle.

Given that there are only 196 puzzles remaining before Matt has threatened to ride MGWCC off into the sunset, the 2025 (Friday, #909) and 2026 (Saturday, #961) puzzles should be the only remaining opportunities.

Free your calendars now!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

KayW wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:54 am Submitted and fairly confident I can argue this answer if it's not the intended one. Well, at least more confident in this one than last week's AMOCO :confounded:

A non-solo solve for me this week as I spent some time IN-PERSON consulting with @Joe Ross on a drop-time WAG. The fact that the WAG missed the mark is the only dark spot on a wonderful visit with Joe and some of his family (in Chicago for a wedding).
I was super impressed that someone came up with any WAG. I wouldn't have had a clue.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Apparently, my answer has now been accepted. There are a few others who came up with the same solution. I guess this happens from time to time. Although disappointed, after discovering why it was not originally accepted, I was OK with it being considered wrong, and was ready to start a new streak.
Now it is correct, and the streak is intact.
Wow. What a rollercoaster!
Last edited by Andrew Bradburn on Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Awaiting the beam...not a solo solve, I had help from @BarbaraK (thank you!) I had the right idea, but some things really threw me off.

Edit: Beamed, thank goodness!
Last edited by SamKat9 on Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

With a strong indicator nudge I was able to struggle through to an answer. It certainly seems like it should be it, but it did not come easy. Awaiting notification.

T
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

HunterX wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:15 pm Solved with collaboration. Submitted. Waiting to be beamed.

Edit: I may have jumped the gun. Looks as if I might have submitted an incorrect answer. But it must have been close, given the valid-seeming metanism.
Edit 2: It seems my answer was accepted. Streak continues!

I can think of 2 different reasons why the other answer is "better." And 1 reason why mine might be. So I'll consider the one I submitted the "lesser" answer. But they both use the same basic metanism. The difference is in the details.

(Hope that's cryptic enough.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

KayW wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:54 am

Goodness Kay, you are going to get the prize for "Most Muggles Met in Midwestern Metro Area" which I am certain looks like this:
Kay Prize.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
KayW

Post by KayW »

DrTom wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:42 pm
KayW wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:54 am

Goodness Kay, you are going to get the prize for "Most Muggles Met in Midwestern Metro Area" which I am certain looks like this:
Thanks Dr Tom - I love it! And I'm always happy to meet up with any muggles who are in town or passing through. In fact, @sharkicicles recently suggested having a Chicago (or Midwest) meet-up. I think I'll start a thread in the Acapulco Lounge and see how much interest is there. Those New Englanders set a pretty high bar last summer!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Well, that was something of a slog (as a Week 4 should be). Thanks to @HeadinHome for shoving the last little bit of me into the transporter!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

So, @DrTom are you saying that this is Isaac's mugshot?

I'll just leave this here, and run.
Last edited by HoldThatThought on Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dannyvee

Post by Dannyvee »

Beamed up last night after a few wrong turns
Was torn between the likely two answers that he's accepting but I'm guessing I submitted the intended
We shall see...
I can be found in Sheridan, NY, veejaying. (8)
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

I'll post a picture after the deadline, and we'll see if what happened to me for a bit happened to anyone else.

But until then, I'll savor my bronze and look forward to seeing all of you tonight!

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Savor the bronze, heck yes...I'm savoring my gold, well element #79 that is. I got beamed at 79 and am delighted.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Fun collab on discord - thanks, @edestlin!]

... and I'm beamed at #99.

Wow, that was a long wait! I wanted to ask Matt during the Q&A if he could update the website, but chickened out. :D
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Beamed at 91. I should have had this HOURS earlier solo. But I just could not make it work. There was some wonkiness in my opinion. Thanks to my helper who encouraged me without giving it away. Incidentally, I came up with three possible answers.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Brainbow

Post by Brainbow »

I feel like I’m almost there, but I’m stuck.

First, I’d like someone to bounce my answer off of (and probably tell me that it’s wrong). Then, you can pity me because I’m colorblind. Then, maybe you can tell me what I’m missing.

Edit: I finally got there. Thanks KayW for the nudge!
Last edited by Brainbow on Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HoldThatThought wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:30 pm So, @DrTom are you saying that this is Isaac's mugshot?

I'll just leave this here, and run.
Does that make him a "has bean"? That's not a good reflection on him... :D