"High Fives" by benchen71

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? A weekly meta crossword constructed by forum member Ben (aka benchen71). These metas range from relatively easy to more challenging, depending on how many Australianisms he puts in them! Puzzles are posted in a new thread every Tuesday, with nudges appearing on Saturdays, and the solution coming out on Mondays. (At least, that's the plan. Given he lives in Australia, and they are so far ahead of the US time-zone-wise, things may get posted early!)
benchen71

"High Fives" by benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Welcome to...

benchen71's Metas on a Tuesday (MOAT)

Can you storm the castle by getting across the MOAT? The first-ever high five appears to have happened in 1977 during a baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros. It was the last game of the season, and Dodgers outfielder Dusty Baker had just hit a home run - his 30th of the season. The accomplishment made the Dodgers the first team in Major League history to have four players hit 30 homers. Baker's rookie teammate Glenn Burke was waiting for him on deck, and as Baker crossed home plate, Burke triumphantly lifted his hands in the air. "The way the legend goes… Glenn put his arm high in the air, and Dusty didn't know what to do, so he slapped it," Dodgers historian Mark Langill said in the ESPN documentary "The High Five." It caught the public's attention, so the Dodgers adopted it as a symbol of team pride and performed it regularly over the next few seasons, to the delight of the media and fans of the team. (cf. https://www.businessinsider.com/where-d ... gin-2017-4.) All that to say, the answer to the meta is where the action is.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

High Fives - Crosshare
High Fives - PUZ
High Fives - PDF
High Fives - spreadsheet
Enable content - Trust the document - Save As to your drive

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.

havefun.gif
Last edited by benchen71 on Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

MOAT crossed, I enjoyed it!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Did it.
rjy

Post by rjy »

MOAT crossed, and castle actually stormed this time! Nice concept and execution, Ben, juuuust enough of a challenge there!
Ray
woozy

Post by woozy »

That may be the first recorded HIGH five but the Gimme Five (at waist level) must have been around fore decades before that.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Crossed! Stormed!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Crossed and stormed. Fun one!!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Crawled over the drawbridge and got splinters in my knees. But I solved.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Crossed the MOAT. I was stuck on two rabbit holes until I figured out how to use the hint in the clues. One was mentioned by others on Crosshare. The other was my very own invention.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Not quite 24 hours since posting, but here's the first batch of solvers:

DJB
SamKat9
Laura M
Berto
JM
Hector
merlinnimue
Carolyn
boharr
emmie
DebbieC
DrTom
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
rjy
Philip Chow
markhr
woozy
Gutman
I K Snamhcok
Streroto
Tim
lbray53
Ergcat

That's 24 to get us started.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Helped across the moat, so I can't say that I stormed the castle. But I did finally arrive. Thanks, Ben.
Cindy Heisler
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Moat crossed, castle stormed, high fives given, thanks to a very small assist from a friendly muggle.
Matthew
Abide

Post by Abide »

This was brilliant, Ben!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Abide wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:09 am This was brilliant, Ben!
High praise indeed! Thanks, Peter. :D
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

A solver update:

Cindy Heisler
Matthew
CPJohnson
dannyvee
Abide

That brings us up to 29... and nudges!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There is one hint in the grid. 43 across says "Five, in Roman numerals (hint, hint)".

2. 36 across and 44 across are a non-meta easter egg! But the title might provide some additional guidance.

3. Look for somewhere high where you can place some "V"s.

4. New words are often alternate answers for other clues leading to alternate grid entries.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

I'm behind on puzzles this week so just getting to this now, but I'm across the MOAT. Really clever, Ben!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

With all the nudges I finally got it.
Darth

Post by Darth »

Some "goosing" was needed to cross this one...
geese.jpg
"43A is for Victory!"... Well-constructed puz, Ben!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally got to this one. Good one Ben!
Heidi