"Cheery Dude" by Abide

A weekly meta crossword created by members of the forum. Difficulty levels will vary. Hints are usually available starting Wednesday, and solutions are posted on Sunday.
Abide

Post by Abide »

Final nudge:

This puzzle was released on October 23, a day of serendipitous significance to me.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Finally off the couch after the nudges. I didn't need the final nudge, but did make a mistake with a song title that Abide helped me with.
I should have put a little more effort into the puzzle before the nudges, but the Beatles are before my time and I don't know their songs well.
Thanks for the puzzle and the help!
Abide

Post by Abide »

The man with the stethoscope with the nametag: Bob

(never heard of this one until today)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
woozy

Post by woozy »

Abide wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:05 pm The man with the stethoscope with the nametag: Bob

(never heard of this one until today)
Funny. It's one of my favorites.

Slight derail. Am i the only one who feels more familiar with the American releases and track listing than the British? Seeing Dr. Robert on revolver rather than Yesterday and today just seems so wrong
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

How my wife and I spent much of January 2020.
Tough 3,000 piece puzzle.
Thankfully, it came with a key.
Sorry I'm a lousy picture taker and we took it apart!
Beatles Puzzle.jpg
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Think I’m off the couch. Beatles were THE group of my youth. But this puzzle proved I didn’t remember all their songs. 🤦‍♀️
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :couch_and_lamp: OTC - I saw some significant things in the grid ;) but needed the final nudge to make sense out of it.

Well done - thanks Peter!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Finally entered the right 2 songs! I was all over it. I’m not sure I understand everything about this mechanism (if there’s more than the first step, which was fun to find by the way)!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Abide

Post by Abide »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:49 pm I’m not sure I understand everything about this mechanism
It’s been sliced and diced pretty well in the Crosshare comments…
—Brian MacDonald
ReB

Post by ReB »

Off the couch by climbing over the back...
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Well, it took the micro-nudge and all of today's nudges to get me OTC. Innovative concept and fine execution. Thank you, Peter!
Abide

Post by Abide »

LEADERBOARD UPDATE

It's been a long and winding road for some, but we have 27 new solvers for a total of 64. :P

LB800
Schmeel
BethA
JM
Katiedid
whimsy
Carolyn
rjy
Eric Porter
david
Bird Lives
Steve M
DCBilly
SeamusOL
KayW
HeadinHome
ReB
Jeremy Smith
BrandonW
Dow Jones
bhamren
JeanneC
Sharkicicles
Alvibu67
Jerry Miccolis
shashwat
Lilith
CBarbee002
—Brian MacDonald
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Another muggle suggested I do this puzzle, and I'm glad I did. Solved and really enjoyed it!
Abide

Post by Abide »

FINAL LEADERBOARD and STATS

billkatz
Naptown Kid
mkmh
Julie Bookworm
carolinea
Rufus T Firefly

263 Crosshare completions
70 correct submissions
11 incorrect submissions

Reveal from @BrennerTJ follows.
—Brian MacDonald
Abide

Post by Abide »

"CHEERY DUDE" REVEAL

WhenIm64.png

A little over three weeks ago, I noticed my 64th birthday would fall on the 10/23 MMM date. (Hmm, I think I see a meta there...)

With an obvious Beatles song as the meta answer, I drew upon Matt's earlier 49ers puzzle for the mechanism of letter lengths. With letter lengths of 6/4, I hit on the idea of spelling out my name to convey the meta message "I am 6 4 ".

I looked at another set of themers:
PICNIC AREA
ERYKAH BADU
TRAVEL IRON
EATING DUST
RABBIT EARS
but felt that layout would be easier to notice than the ones used in the graphic (I was right).

With some spare real estate in the corners, I was able to put the symmetrical message "THEY SAY ITS YOUR" in the corners as an Easter egg. This created a problem for two testers who thought the answer was "Birthday" and stopped. So the prompt was changed to two Beatles songs. It was interesting how half the solvers saw one of the songs quickly and then struggled a bit with the other.

As an extra feature, I added my birth year to my Forum Profile page, so on Monday, solvers who looked on the main page at the bottom would see: BIRTHDAYS Happy Birthday to: Abide (64)

Thanks for solving and all the birthday wishes!
—Brian MacDonald
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Incredibly clever puzzle. And Happy Birthday!