MEOW #151 The Opposite Of "Spot The Difference"

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

MEOW #151 The Opposite Of "Spot The Difference"

Post by benchen71 »

I know this looks like a Benchen71 take-over. But don't worry: MEOW programming from other contributors will continue next week! ;) Until then...

I remember as a child enjoying those "spot the difference" cartoons that would appear on the comics and crossword pages of some newspapers. This meta is the exact opposite of those cartoons. The answer to the meta is an 8-letter word.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

The Opposite Of "Spot The Difference" - Crosshare
The Opposite Of "Spot The Difference" - PUZ
The Opposite Of "Spot The Difference" - PDF

The Opposite Of "Spot The Difference" - spreadsheet
Trust the document. Enable content. Save As to your drive.

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Nudges are here.
The solution will be posted Tuesday.

cover.jpg
Last edited by benchen71 on Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Cat freed, maybe he’ll help me over the moat!
Ray
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

The cat has been freed! Thanks, Ben!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
woozy

Post by woozy »

rjy wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:21 am Cat freed, maybe he’ll help me over the moat!
Actually, that has been my strategy of the MOAT.

But cats freed and MOAT had the teensiest of toes dipped in.
eviltwinsLogo.gif
(Evil twins...)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat is gone. Thanks.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Nice one, Ben. The cat has fled the suitcase.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bags sans cat!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Awaiting nudges.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Berto

Post by Berto »

Yes. Not spotting what to do!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

The end of the first 24 hours brings us 17 solvers who managed to extricate the cat from the bag!

SeamusOL
Laura M
markhr
Pair O Ducks
rjy
Hector
SamKat9
merlinnimue
kurtalert
woozy
DIS
Tyrpmom
boharr
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
I K Snamhcok
Johnny Luau

I'm planning to release the nudges tomorrow morning, Australia time.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Right church, wrong pew. I was SURE I had the mechanism but it was another brand of the same thing...silly me. Ben has thrown us some pretty interesting mechanisms. Now I need to see if I have anything even remotely as good for next week. So, the cat is out of the bag and wondering, "OK, what do I do next?"
Now what.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Just one additional solver:

DrTom

So we're at 18, and it's time for the nudges!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. No hints in the grid, but the puzzle title should help.

2. The grid is separated into 9 4x4 sections. You're looking for an 8-letter answer. You do the math!

3. The opposite of "spot the difference" is "spot the same".

4. Take each pair of 4x4 sections in order and look for one letter that's the same in each pair.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Yep, that last one did the trick. Had been doing something similar a different (unsuccessful) way. Can’t really say “stormed,” but concealed myself in a barrow of cabbages and snuck in a side door. Tnx!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat is out with the help of the nudges. Thanks, Ben!
Cindy Heisler
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :european_castle: Nudge 4 did it for me, too. Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Darth

Post by Darth »

DeMOATed or DeMEOWed? Crept out of the castle...
370363563_122121342764034273_7984927927608485268_n.jpg
I'm so confused. Love, Darth
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been de-bagged, but only because of the nudges and then a redirect from a friendly muggle. Thanks for the puzzle, Ben!
Matthew
hoover

Post by hoover »

Nudges didn't help. I was already doing nudge #4, and in two different ways (interpretations). In one way I don't get enough pieces, and in another way I get too many, and in both cases the pieces don't spell anything or even anagram to anything.

Hang on, I found a THIRD way to do what I was trying to do, and this one worked. Wow, that is the least obvious of the three mechanisms (IMHO). I'll explain after the reveal.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Had the right idea from the start, but needed the last nudge to define the process, as there were multiple mechanisms that were all plausible - and the correct one was not one I had considered.