MGWCC #802 — “Animal Instinct”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Beamed. Easy Peasy, as promised. Kind of amazed this was possible!
The other Wendy. :roll:
rjy

Post by rjy »

Downs-only, no-instructions, submitted without peeking (no guts no glory, right?)… fingers crossed
Ray
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

on the pad, awaiting confirmation that my atoms reached the appropriate coordinates
used everything god and Gaffney gave me, plus Google for some of the more interesting clues
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
markhr

Post by markhr »

Beamed up. My streak is now at 99.
The pressure is on...

Fortunately, I have no WSJ streak to worry about, because I got nothin'.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

rjy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:14 am Downs-only, no-instructions, submitted without peeking (no guts no glory, right?)… fingers crossed
Wow! I’m impressed!

While struggling through that grid, I was thinking, there’s no way anyone could do this downs only.

Way to go! I’m sure you’re right on the meta
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I almost invariably do worse at the “easy” ones because I can come up with so many “right answers” in my own mind. I’ve got what I think could be it and will just submit and cross my fingers.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:14 am
rjy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:14 am Downs-only, no-instructions, submitted without peeking (no guts no glory, right?)… fingers crossed
Wow! I’m impressed!

While struggling through that grid, I was thinking, there’s no way anyone could do this downs only.

Way to go! I’m sure you’re right on the meta
To be fair, the internets were close at hand for the grid fill… normally I will consult only if natick’ed into a corner, but with this grid? Orlando car detailing operation?? Japanese dexterity toys?? I think Matt was totally giving us the google green light…

Oh, and beamed!
Ray
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

Beamed up.... This one was really fun
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Beamed. I skipped downs only -- I was in a hurry -- but I didn't look at the prompt. I could see what the answer had to be, but then before I submitted, I wimped out and looked. It didn't add much.
Jay
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Submitted late last night...Beamed up at #315.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

On the board at #330

Fine dam puzzle.
Last edited by ky-mike on Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Beamed up!!
Berto

Post by Berto »

Beamed up!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Beamed.png
ricky

Post by ricky »

woozy wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:43 pm One think about not having a streak to worry about is you can enter pathetic answers like one that obviously fits and *might* be the only thing that does but is just too pathatetic to allow you more than 47% surety.

So submitted. (Actually I'm 82% sure my 47% surety is correct. If the WSJ taught me anything this week it's that math doesn't work)

EDIT: there I am at 61. I wonder if anyone was thrown by the one thing that keeps this from being a hundred percenter and made me need a good five minutes of heavy thinking after seeing the metanism to come up with an answer.
I believe I was. I had a few minutes of "but...?"
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
woozy

Post by woozy »

Did anyone wonder if DAM being a mother sheep could have something to do with it and puzzled for a few minutes?
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.