"Significant Digits" Oct. 13, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Squarely on the beach!
Nice change of pace from Patrick Berry.
Notbitter

Post by Notbitter »

On shore. Feeling better after last week’s complete miss.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

Ashore!
Not too busy I see.
Im buying. !
woozy

Post by woozy »

jimbo1 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:18 pm Ashore!
Not too busy I see.
Im buying. !
Save your money, I'll just take a nudge.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

On shore!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Well, I declare myself ashore. However, I did sort of back into it. But I’ll take it!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Plymouthrock

Post by Plymouthrock »

That was cool. Basil smash.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Saturday Morning Report

Yesterday's group solve on Zoom was not only huge but also a huge success -- and lots of fun. Welcome back, hosts Don and Cynthia! It was wonderful to see everyone.

Reaching Muggle Island are MiniMuggle, Nosolvenosleep, FKelly, Eric Porter, Acarl, Kgiano, Joe, SamKat9, Hunkra, Turbotron, Jayboy1, RDaleHall, Heidi, Anj, Dho, DB Miller, JeanRosz, JaneGummy, Brainbow, DCBilly, Lyman, Birdbrain, Al L, Teejels, CP Johnson, Nlobb, BenChen, Ergcat, Tcassutt, Cinny, Fish OutOfWater, Char, AaronT, HaydenDog, MichaelM, Notbitter, Jimbo1, Billkatz, JeanneC, and Plymouth Rock.

Still on ship, among many others (Isaac has called in his reserve bar staff), are Markhr, AltoSax, Jr Dad, Hunter X, Maine Marge, and Cruise Director Bob.

We have two more newcomers this week: Teejels and Birdbrain. Welcome to Muggledom!

And on a more serious note: We're holding in the light Schmeel and all other members of our beloved community who are in harm's way.

Cruise Director Bob asked me to post the following notice about a VERY SPECIAL UPCOMING EVENT:

Two weeks from today, October 28 at 7:30 pm will be the second Question and Answer with Matt Gaffney. We will be posting a link to the Q&A on this forum in the next week. A topic under Come Aboard/FAQ's - Community/Solving Resources that will be setup today will give the details of how the Q&A will be run and set up times for those who are unfamiliar with zoom to help you with logging on, electronically raising your hand, muting/unmuting and any other questions that you may have.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Y’aaaaaaaaalllllllll… even my rabbit holes have rabbit holes. That one thing that has to be significant is tormenting me.

PS 32a and 34a feel like a throwback to two weeks ago.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Ashore, late but unnudged and unzoomed. Ever since college I've been waiting for Avogadro's number to come in handy. I'm still waiting.
Jay
Colin

Post by Colin »

Four fifths, of five eighths,
Of not very much at all.
Menu please, Isaac.
One world. One planet. One future.
NDStegs

Post by NDStegs »

On shore.
lxpeterson

Post by lxpeterson »

On shore but with help. It gave me a headache.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Oog. got a subtle nudge from Joe. Complained it was too subtle. Got a dope-slap up-side the head.

For technical reasons I can't say I like this one very much. There is one thing I should have considered and I skirted so close to considering. Should have considered it though. But I have to admit I didn't consider it.

Instead I was flumoxed by a rabbit hole that *no* crossword constructor would ever consider to be fair or legitimate. but by an amazing calcuincidence did answer the the obvious problem of how to get that from the obvious required metanism to the specifically and inconsistent prompt and it did so by using two *valid* (but eventually irrelevant) entries to justify it. But it'd be something *no-one* would stand for.

Still I have a more accurate 10-letter answer for this meta.
Last edited by woozy on Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Joe

Post by Joe »

woozy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:02 pm Got a dope-slap up-side the head.
Hope it didn’t hurt too bad :D
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

woozy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:02 pm For technical reasons I can't say I like this one very much. There is one thing I should have considered and I skirted so close to considering. Should have considered it though.

Instead I was flumoxed by a rabbit hole that *no* crossword constructor would ever consider to be fair or legitimate. but by an amazing calcuincidence did answer the the obvious problem of how to get that from the obvious required metanism to the specifically and inconsistent prompt and it did so by using two *valid* (but eventually irrelevant) entries to justify it. But it'd be something *no-one* would stand for.
I can safely say, with 100% confidence, that I have no idea what you are referring to.

But I can also safely say, with 100% confidence, that I have not solved the meta yet. ("Yet." There is still potential.)
PhantomPhan

Post by PhantomPhan »

My dad came in with a strong theory and we swam quickly to shore this morning. Phew!
...Remember there are worse things than a shattered chandelier...

If you see I'm ashore and need a nudge, feel free to message me.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Ashore. Very clever indeed!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Ergcat wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:48 am
MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:07 pm download the PDF and use that to torture yourself
Traveling and I don’t have access to a printer so I drew a very crude grid on the back of a piece of junk mail. Making solving about 💯 more difficult. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. 😂
@Ergcat When I am traveling and don't have access to a printer, before I leave I print out some 15X15 grids from https://woojr.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... -paper.gif

My hand drawn grids look like they were drawn by a 4 year old (on second thought I am sure a 4 year old could do better.)
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Forgot to post yesterday, but ashore. Once again, I have the start when I get on the Zoom call, just need my mind focused in the right direction!