MEOW #149 Benchen71 Cryptic #1

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
hoover

Post by hoover »

woozy wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:55 am I am actually astonished that anyone is able to solve a meta from this. As it is a sparesly british style cryptic and all clues have cryptic cluing there isn't any valid reason to recognize any entries over others as "themers" and one certainly can't ask "did you see anything odd or notice any irregular occurance". So what the heck is there to "jump out at you"?

I'll take any nudge. (There's actually three dead ends that maybe could be toe-holds but I didn't want to comment on them in the off chance they were the key... but they certainly are not rabbit holes--- unless "rabbit hole" means "even densely packed soil uniform for all distances in all directions")
I was having the same problem, but I just now pushed my laptop across the desk to arms' length, and something jumped out at me.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Cat is out of the bag!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Cat has finally jumped out of the box, and what do you know, he does have ears after all.
Untitledzzoutofbox.png
Thanks for the puzzle, Ben, and a nifty different challenge.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Meg wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:46 pm It’s amazing how long you can stare at something!
The meta solver's motto!

Need to get to this (and a bunch of others). Way behind this week, but I'll see if I can crush a cryptic (or if that cat will stay in the bag for a while on the moat).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
woozy

Post by woozy »

MikeyG wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:20 pm
Meg wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:46 pm It’s amazing how long you can stare at something!
The meta solver's motto!

Except it *NEVER* and I mean *never* works for me.

EDIT: Ah, but with a whimsical nudge it leapt out. But I needed that nudge to start. Good puzzle but could have used some sort of trigger. Like a very subtle pun in the title.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I have a solver update for you:

Berto
rjy
nnnnnng
hoover
whimsy
woozy

We're now up to 28. I think I'll get the nudges out of the way now and get back to puzzling over the WSJ...
Last edited by benchen71 on Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. The title is of no help and there are no hints in the grid. So the meta path is going to have to be relatively obvious.

2. Note that cryptic crossword grids are not like US crosswords: not every square has an across and down entry.

3. Look in the uncrossed squares for a message. But the answer probably isn't the first thing you might notice.

4. There are three rows with regular spacings between white squares. These are the rows to focus on.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Nudged the cat free. I’d already figured out the first three but needed that fourth one. I’m not great at cryptics but figured out many of the clues.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat is free, but only with nudges, both those above and from other friendly Muggles. Thanks Ben!
Matthew
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: Very clever and fun to solve - even tho the cat needed to be nudged out of the bag. Thanks, Ben!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Cat is out of the bag, with nudging.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Another update for you:

SeamusOL
alex
BarbaraK
DCBilly
lbray53
MatthewL
KayW
DIS
badgey
ReB
Katiedid

That's got us up to 39. Next (and last) update before the answer reveal Tuesday morning (Aussie time).
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Three more, bringing us to 42 solvers in total:

MrTheHan
Jaclyn
jbird

Answer reveal is imminent!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the solution to "Benchen71 Cryptic #1":

IMG_20231010_071257_(500_x_847_pixel).png

Doing something for Columbus Day was not my initial intention. (As you can probably guess, Aussies do not celebrate this one!) Instead, the seed for this meta was simply wanting to have the answer be NINA, since that's what words/messages hidden in crosswords are called. But what message to encode? Initially, I thought I would hide surnames of famous Ninas in the grid: SIMONE was obvious. But others? Not so much. Then I hit on the trio of ships and we were off to the races! Only after completing the puzzle did I google when Columbus Day was. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was only a couple of weeks away! My thanks to DrTom for adjusting the MEOW schedule to allow me to squeeze this one in.

The concept of a NINA comes from Al Hirschfeld (1903-2003), an American caricaturist who famously hid his daughter's name "Nina" in his drawings. See here for more information and some examples. And if you want to try and spot some "Nina"s in some Hirschfeld drawings, this is a good site to get you started.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Here's the explanation for all of the cryptic clues: (cf. Stella Zawistowski's explanation names as listed here).

1A. Gem surface that's within [hidden words]
3A. That baby bear I see is rather box-like = CUB+IC [charades]
5A. Explosive starts to nasty times [beginnings and endings]
7A. Cleverly inventive, but debts follow broken engine missing an end = anagram ENGIN+IOUS [drop it + anagrams + charades]
10A. She made lemons in batches of 19, 21, 25 and 30 [hidden words]
11A. The Spanish sun is going backwards! = SOL->LOS [reversals; note "Spanish" is being used twice here]
12A. Luxurious fur is able to contain it [hidden words]
13A. Tune that results when the show drops falsehood = FAIR->AIR [drop it + the cryptic alphabet]
14A. Destroy the mad age [anagrams]
17A. Family elders sound a lot like nooks' accompaniments = CRANNIES->GRANNIES [homophones]
20A. Eric Braeden will fly around his disreputable past = SOAR around anagramed PAST [containers + anagrams]
22A. Tomorrow, in Tijuana, take the top off a banana and replace it with what F equals in physics = BANANA->NANA->MANANA [beheadings et al + charades]
25A. Peak political group Down Under [ALP = A.L.P. (Australian Labor Party)] [double definitions]
27A. Give in to gravity: oh! in the middle of an unexpected album release = O in DROP [containers]
29A. Miss Abraham's birthplace, so it's said = UR->ERR [homophones]
30A. Fourth letter of Greece ends a river [double definitions]
31A. It's a long way to randomised peripatry [anagrams]
32A. Records of disemvoweled moral failing = LAPSE->LPS [drop it]
33A. Your excuse is part of a libidinous pattern of behaviour [hidden words]
34A. Cry "uncle!" and reap the benefits [double definitions]
1D. Swooned while fencing! [double definitions/homophones]
2D. Model tree-people are found in campsites = T+ENTS [charades]
3D. This puzzle rendered speechless makes me angry = CROSSWORD->CROSS [drop it]
4D. Wading bird got the drug cop back with ecstasy = NARC->CRAN+E [reversals + charades]
5D. Trig. character is the tips of the angle = THE+TA [beginnings and endings]
6D. Aesthete's love symbol found in back street = HEART in TS [containers + reversals; note "love" is being used twice here]
8D. Has this Jewish legend heard of Smeagol? [homophones]
9D. This weapon confuses bears [anagrams]
15D. Band aid cuts off wheelchair access = RAMP->AMP [beheadings et al]
16D. Stir tea, consume [anagrams]
17D. Actress Teri is missing a hostile dog, I hear = GARR->GRR [drop it + homophones]
18D. Your goal is to decapitate, maim [beheadings et al]
19D. Bobbsey twin takes a chunk out of Indian bread = NAAN->NAN [drop it]
20D. South Carolina and Alabama are embroiled in a public outrage = SC+AND+AL [charades]
21D. Choose, after commercial, a new pet from the shelter = AD+OPT [charades]
23D. Sounds like they oughta do something about that artery [homophones]
24D. Dressed up as the aural equivalent of a nighttime visit to the fridge [homophones]
26D. Old Navy products can be made from a broken one-master = SLOOP->POLOS [anagrams]
27D. Medic and her org. tell a story = DR+AMA [charades]
28D. Longstocking or short Schwartz musical = PIPPIN->PIPPI [double definitions + beheadings et al]
29D. N.M.E. is no mate of mine! [homophones]

So what was your favourite clue? For me, it's a toss-up between 17A and 28D.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I liked how 29D was I timely reference to the MOAT of the day before.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Hard to pick a favorite, lots of good ones... I liked 5D and 6D and...
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I liked 6D and 22A a lot, but the grid was overall pretty fun to complete.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!