Bands of Brothers - October 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Solved but only because of a shove.....it was a slog for me. Not one of my favorites...but do respect the meta, was quite well thought out.

Solved the mega last month...still putzing around with it though...trying to guess where it's going. I did have one of the bands right this month.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the board again after missing the last two.
SeamusOL

Post by SeamusOL »

Would also appreciate an invite to the Muggles discord server. Might save me from asking for nudges on here.
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

Took me a while to see step 1 but it finally clicked, then took me a while to see step 2 but it finally clicked after realizing I had a wrong answer in the grid! On the board at 80
Abide

Post by Abide »

Before starting on the October puzzle, I printed out all the past puzzles to make my first effort at the Mega-meta.

After two to three hours of "Mulling", I coda-fied a correct answer.

I then went for broke and guessed at the Red Herring. Well, can't win 'em all. ;)
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Made it to the board after a partner-solve on discord. Thanks, @ajk! That was fun, after slogging through what felt like nothing for a couple of days. :D
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ajk

Post by ajk »

On the board, thanks to a great group solve with @benchen71. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Finally got to this one, and glad it didn't turn out to be as hard (for me) as I'd feared it might.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

I thought for sure I had it, but not on the board. Anyone care to take a look at what I did and tell me if I was on the right or wrong track?
BeaTea

Post by BeaTea »

BeaTea wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:01 pm I thought for sure I had it, but not on the board. Anyone care to take a look at what I did and tell me if I was on the right or wrong track?
Turns out I wasn't exactly wrong. I solved the puzzle on the Washington Post page and printed my solved puzzle. It clearly states the meta is a famous singer. (I'd post a picture of my puzzle but don't know how). Anyway, someone mentioned the meta was a famous band. What?! I looked at the Washington Post site and it seems to have been corrected since I printed. Never thought I should double check with the PMX site. Put a little damper on my solve, but still happy to get it. :)
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

Hi all, someone want to have look at my notes, and help nudge me back to the ... brotherly way?
thx
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

BeaTea wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:56 am
BeaTea wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:01 pm I thought for sure I had it, but not on the board. Anyone care to take a look at what I did and tell me if I was on the right or wrong track?
Turns out I wasn't exactly wrong. I solved the puzzle on the Washington Post page and printed my solved puzzle. It clearly states the meta is a famous singer. (I'd post a picture of my puzzle but don't know how). Anyway, someone mentioned the meta was a famous band. What?! I looked at the Washington Post site and it seems to have been corrected since I printed. Never thought I should double check with the PMX site. Put a little damper on my solve, but still happy to get it. :)
Can you send a photo to Pete? He might give you credit since you figured it out, and he’d want to know about the WaPo issue in case others have the same problem
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
markhr

Post by markhr »

Well, I got the WSJ and MGWCC. This one--not so much.
Not on my wavelength at all. :(

Update: A kind soul gave me a slight nudge to get me going, and that was enough.
Tough puzzle.
Last edited by markhr on Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmxwords

Post by pmxwords »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:31 pm
BeaTea wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:56 am
Can you send a photo to Pete? He might give you credit since you figured it out, and he’d want to know about the WaPo issue in case others have the same problem

So sorry about this!

The error has been corrected.

Please do email me if the WaPo prompt prevented you from getting the solution…
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

On the board, thanks to a gentle nudge to help me focus on some specific things.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got there with some help from a kind muggle. This has been a tough MMMM year at least for me.

Stay well all
burak

Post by burak »

Well, I see *a lot of* rabbit holes but nothing of substance. On the plus side, I know now all the bands that have siblings in them and would totally crush a trivia night based on this.
clonefitz

Post by clonefitz »

Will post my misadventures on this one after the reveal.
PCP92

Post by PCP92 »

Looking for a nudge if anyone would be so kind! Been stuck for a couple days.
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

Awww, got it at 8:10 Pacific time without looking at Pete's clue. Just a little slow at step 2. But knew the last step immediately from all the googling. Fun.