"Unfinished Business" September 29, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Finally ashore after a head slap (rather than AHA)

Thank you @BarbaraK for providing me feedback on my ideas; namely what to x-out and what to pursue further among my observations.

I'll have another festbier tonight; nay, make that two!
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Alas, in the spirit of honest Muggling, I must confess that I am still on the ship with Isaac and not on the shore.
If I do ultimately solve, you’ll hear my “yippee” all the way from the east coast of Florida.
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
bread-girl

Post by bread-girl »

On the shore!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

woozy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:56 pm A lot of misdirection and almost *all* assumptions of metas are out the window. EXCEPT my very first and obvious thought was absolutely correct. ... It's just that looking at something from a 38.76 degree angle sharply shows you something completely blurred when viewed from a 38.75 degree angle.
That comment about the 0.01 degree angle makes a whole lot of sense now.

It took one relatively oblique remark behind the scenes for me to see what I'd been missing, though the essence of the remark was simply, "Nothing you're doing is correct." So I'm not sure how that scattered the cobwebs, but it did. Not submitting, but I'm glad my 8-hour, 12-minute nightmare is over (though I did love every moment, sort of).

Time spent on this puzzle: 8 hours, 12 minutes
Time spent on last 15 WSJs combined: 8 hours, 26 minutes

Also, you're telling me I spent 8 hours not getting anything relevant done? Well, just like any other work day then.

Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Ashore
Gasp. Gasp.
Anita

Post by Anita »

Still at sea, have gone down several rabbit holes. Could someone please send a nudge?

EDIT: Got it! Thanks to those who sent nudges. I'd already been working with what you mentioned, just needed to try again. Toes in sand!
Last edited by Anita on Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoDave

Post by JoDave »

Ashore finally. Spent hours going for many rabbit holes.
Relic

Post by Relic »

Anita wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:04 pm Still at sea, have gone down several rabbit holes. Could someone please send a nudge?
Private message me with your observations and I will happily offer a nudge.
Good luck to all for a successful solve. If you see that I'm ashore - rare occasion of late - message me if you'd like a nudge. Be sure to include your progress so I can know better how to assist.

Alan A. and Maggie Muggle
BigPear

Post by BigPear »

Ashore! Got my Covid booster yesterday and spent the night in a fitful fever dream with the puzzle clanging around my brain. At one point I woke up convinced I had the answer (and in fact I did …not). But when I looked at it again this morning it was crystal clear. I feel a little silly for being so close for so long without seeing it, but sometimes that is the nature of the meta. Better late than never!
Kas

Post by Kas »

Kas wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:35 pm I am not ashore. I'm not even sure I am on the boat, so much as dog-paddling in a sea of meta cluelessness, is what I'm saying.
And he crawls to shore!!! (Many thanks to a kind nudge…oy!)
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Late reporting in, but I’ve been literally HURLED ASHORE by the usual suspect @Bob cruise director. No way, Jose.
Another SBD from Mike(simply brilliantly done)
Now as for 33A—
IMG_3102.jpeg
I snatched up this brass goose as soon as I saw him. Eric had long ago similarly snatched up our version of the Xword Rabbit. Both well loved garden critters here in the North Country.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Totally lost at sea. Since Fri & Sat were 50th high school reunion days, I haven't had much time. Maybe not today either. :(
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:59 am Good Saturday morning muggles.

So far we have 8 with Isaac on the ship and an even 100 on the shore.

Enjoying Isaac's fine selection of libations are
And basking on the sunny beach, most recovering from imbibing copious amounts of sea water on the way in are:
HunterX
Just noticed you've got me on the beach when I'm still with Isaac. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have until midnight to justify it.
mlvilv

Post by mlvilv »

Got it!!! I’m proud of getting this one. I was way overthinking it then saw it suddenly. Nice one.
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Alas lost at sea. I’m considering printing out a fresh grid and filling it in again. Too many one track mind rabbit holes at this point.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:desert_island: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: :tropical_drink: Finally finished this business. Whew!!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

Some progress as we have 11 on the ship and 117 on the shore.

Enjoying Isaac's company and settling down for the football games in the lounge are

JeanneC
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
PhantomPhan
HunterX
Anita
Ben B and son
Katiedid

While basking on the shore are

Schmeel
Char
Hidden in 3D
ladybird
relic (and Maggie)
Fogway
Tcassutt
JAQT
bread-girl
David Wi
woozy
mlvilv
Nlobb
MaineMarge
JoDave
MikeyG
BigPear
Kas
Kay

Now to settle in for the Dolphins/Bills for which I have a bet with a diehard Bills fan and then the Pats/Cowboys where I am rooting with my heart.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Ben B

Post by Ben B »

Cruise director! We made it to shore after a new start. Happy Sunday all.
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I am on shore now after a much-needed nudge. There's way too much to look at here for me to find my own way.
Luxmea

Post by Luxmea »

Drifting at sea and in need of a nudge, if anyone wants to cast me a line. Many thanks. My rabbit holes seemingly lead to nowhere.