"In A Comprehensive Manner" September 22, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Just got a little break from fishing and grandchild tending and made a quick swim to shore. Don’t like doing these without paper but made it work.

Stay well all

(A pic for @Cap'n Rick and all the other fishermuggles)
Attachments
IMG_3186.jpeg
WDunbar

Post by WDunbar »

On shore, or at least I'm pretty sure I am. Is there another step? Anyway I'll take my wine as though I've earned it!
Andy100

Post by Andy100 »

Hi seafarers,
If you’ll bear with me, I’d like to compare this week’s and last week’s puzzles, without providing a hint to this week’s answer, from the mathematical point of view of entropy. If one looks at the ship as the solved main puzzle and the shore as the solved meta puzzle, then in my view the most satisfying puzzle as a solver would be something that requires creative insight, or perception of a connection that is not immediately obvious once the main puzzle is solved, and may in fact be meta-clued, i.e. beyond what’s in the main answers, which happens always to some degree in the title, but usually in some clues as well. However, by the same token, the pathway to the shore should not be highly entropic. In other words, once the potential pathway occurs to the solver, that channel from “ship” to “shore” should be relatively well “marked”. Sometimes there is an extra step right at the beach to actually “land”, e.g. like mapping the process that created the channel to shore (the hidden meanings of the answers) back to the discovered word or phrase (the meta-answer) but it isn’t quite the answer until you back-transform it. This week’s puzzle fulfills the criterion of creative insight to find the “channel” and is also reasonably low entropy, i.e. once you have the idea you’re not still hopelessly lost. In contrast last week’s puzzle was very high entropy even if you discovered the channel, which in that case was alternative answers to the clue, often from a list of 10 possibilities (like the “big ten football teams”), and some of them very jargon-y like the pass thing in basketball, that I could not even find in a sports lexicon. So a creative insight followed by a relatively ordered (non-entropic) pathway after the insight is more appealing just in the way the Saturday NYT puzzle is. There are others who would probably like the more entropic pathway like last week, for example jigsaw puzzle solvers, which is a different kind of creativity that I lack but respect. Anyway, if this resonates at all with the editor I’d love to see some more puzzles like today’s, but I am also grateful to the authors for creating all of the puzzles and to the community for their many interesting thoughts and sometimes offline hints, since I’ve been a muggle, and this is just written in that spirit. And I’m planning on what spirit to consume on the beach!
Cheers,
Andy
Charmin

Post by Charmin »

On shore. Cute.
Richard

Post by Richard »

On shore with a nudge and made at myself for needing the nudge.
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

I, too made it to shore with a nudge and can’t believe I didn’t see this myself. Thanks DrTom!
Tcassutt

Post by Tcassutt »

Ashore, with help.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Ashore yesterday without needing any help.
Loved it.

Unlike 26d, my veterinarian husband’s surname isn’t necessarily apt for the profession. But I also needed no help hanging up his shingle in 1979 when he opened his first practice. A work of art, hand carved by his sister.
717175990.390106.jpeg
Last edited by MaineMarge on Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Ashore.
Ann

Post by Ann »

On the shore!
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

On the beach 🏖️

This week I had both of Matt’s metas on the first pass. That doesn’t happen often.
Jack Sullivan
caf.caf

Post by caf.caf »

Ashore - I totally enjoyed this!
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore. Been visiting family the last couple of days, so just got to it today.
Aragorn

Post by Aragorn »

Ashore! Cute puzzle. Found the first step quickly, but thought it was heading in a different direction. Finally saw the light and it all made sense.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore, very belatedly (perhaps disgracefully so … 😳). But … AWTEW.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Streroto wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:01 pm Just got a little break from fishing and grandchild tending and made a quick swim to shore. Don’t like doing these without paper but made it work.

Stay well all

(A pic for @Cap'n Rick and all the other fishermuggles)
I don't catch em, but I'll eat em!!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

boxofrain wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:18 am Ashore for 12 hours, finally registered and posted.

IMG_1246.JPG
Who's a good boy...!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Collegetowngirl

Post by Collegetowngirl »

On shore!!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Ashore yesterday, just didn't get to post. Fall allergies conspired to completely block both ears (explaining why I kept saying "I'm sorry, what?" on the Zoom call) and ended up with the worst vertigo I have ever experienced. Slowly getting better but I seem to spend all my time reminding myself to keep my eyes open!
mrmd

Post by mrmd »

Ashore! Very satisfying.