"In A Comprehensive Manner" September 22, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

It's Sunday morning here in the Cotswolds and I am up early sitting in the great hall of an old abbey:
abbots-great-hall-daytime.jpg
https://www.abbotsgrange.com/

Breakfast is not until 9 am so I have time to read and reflect before other guests rise. It is a beautiful part of the world!
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
Olof

Post by Olof »

Ashore. Once in a while an easier puzzle is OK.
LuscombeDriver

Post by LuscombeDriver »

On shore.
hoover

Post by hoover »

Have been spending the weekend with family, but worked the grid with difficulty last night and paddled ashore this morning.
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! Loved this one. Want to say more, biting my tongue until Monday!
Cbaudhuin

Post by Cbaudhuin »

Safely ashore. Fun puzzle. Always clever!
Finished yesterday right before supper— beef bourguignon with a fine red wine to celebrate.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I'm hungry.
alrhinehardt

Post by alrhinehardt »

On Shore!!!!
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Back from vacation and a quick swim to shore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cbaudhuin wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:19 am Safely ashore. Fun puzzle. Always clever!
Finished yesterday right before supper— beef bourguignon with a fine red wine to celebrate.
I agree with @Joe Ross about @Cbaudhuin 's post.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Methinks that there might be a couple of answers that could be deemed correct. Of course, the intended answer is not the answer I submitted. 😔
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Sunday morning muggles

Welcome to our newest muggle Charmin - great to have another muggle.

We have had a steady stream of muggles getting to the shore. At present we have 2 on the ship and 252 on the shore.

Making their way to the shore since yesterday are

hoover
Tcassutt
Tina
David K
haydendog
mrmd
streroto
MaineMarge
Aragorn
Cindy N
Ann
FloridaMan81
Cbaudhein
Olof
dk letter
Qmark
Richard
caf.caf Cathy
William
LuscombeDriver
alrhinehardt
Collegetowngirl
Jack
Andy100
Charmin

And if you have a few minutes go to the SSS meta "Permanent Wave" by Peter Abide.

viewtopic.php?p=142944#p142893

Very clever and fun. Maybe we should start "Muggles Have Talent".
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DianeA

Post by DianeA »

Ashore. Had a good answer, but it didn't seem solid. Think I got to the right shore after some more work.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Ooh... better remember to submit this week.

So... um what was the answer again.....

Oh, yeah. Curious about what everyone thinks the alternative answer or why the answer isn't a click, though. Well, sorta. I don't really know what "classic brand" means so I guess there's a little wiggle room for misinterpretation there as that wouldn't be my first choice of words to describe the answer I did get. ... But I still feel it's a pretty solid click... It's made of splinters but splinters can click solidly....

EDIT: Just googled "classic brand" and see it means "A classic brand can be defined as one that, through careful and thorough advertising, marketing, and product positioning, has become synonymous with the product category of which it is a part" which kind of mostly fits the answer I got. ... except it doesn't. Not for me (or for many of us on this forum do to our very nature). But I think it's still a very solid click.

(Considering the article goes on cite Clorox, Barbie, H&R Block, and Triple-A, [which in my mind are not at all synonymous with bleach, dolls, financial investment, and roadside service] I'd say "classic brand" may be more ... um... quintessential than synonymous and as such my answer is solid)

(... although maybe the time for a discussion as to what "classic brand" should wait until after the answer is revealed.)
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
regfish7

Post by regfish7 »

Ashore!! Did this one with it any nudges whatsoever so feeling good. Took a minute to click and didn’t see how all the pieces fit together until after I had the answer but thought it was a clever puzzle overall! Now to enjoy the rest of this lovely, sunny Sunday afternoon; this is a short period of the year where the weather is beautiful! 😎
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cbaudhuin wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:19 am Safely ashore. Fun puzzle. Always clever!
Dang, Wisconsin, I'll never get there in time! I don't suppose you ship?
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

ky-mike wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:22 am Methinks that there might be a couple of answers that could be deemed correct. Of course, the intended answer is not the answer I submitted. 😔
Well, I have to say I immediately thought of another brand that would have fit the prompt and parts of the mechanism, but was distinctly different than the intended answer. But hey, I do that constantly....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

regfish7 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:56 pm Ashore!! Did this one with it any nudges whatsoever so feeling good. Took a minute to click and didn’t see how all the pieces fit together until after I had the answer but thought it was a clever puzzle overall! Now to enjoy the rest of this lovely, sunny Sunday afternoon; this is a short period of the year where the weather is beautiful! 😎
We hope that your new husband is getting into metas.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dickie_Dunn

Post by Dickie_Dunn »

Count me ashore - on time this week! Feels good to be back after a bunch of busy weekends that took up too much of my meta focus time. Gimme a bloody buddy!
Dickie Dunn wrote this, it's gotta be true.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

Late to the beach after a long slog
JustAQuickThought