MEOW #147 Social Climbers

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

MEOW #147 Social Climbers

Post by DrTom »

Social Climbers Banner.jpg
You've had a break from Tomisms for a few weeks, but your luck has run out. Today's puzzle is all mine, as I am sure you will see. It is, my tester's have informed me, about a 1.5 or 2 mainly because it is different than anything I have done before. It is supposed to be amusing, and that is what I hope you find it to be.

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Friday nudges, help anytime by PM

Social Climbers CORRECTED CROSSHARE LINK
(If you enjoy using Crosshare to solve and submit your answers, please consider supporting it with a donation)

Social Climbers PUZ

Social Climbers PDF

Last edited by DrTom on Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

I think the cat is out; just awaiting official confirmation. Nice one DrTom!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

I definitely have the first part, but still puzzled about the end. I suspect it’s a Dr.Tom witicism that I’m not 34A-ing!

UPDATE - on the Crosshare board. Dr. Tom DM’d me that there was a little error that needs correcting… fill the grid as clued and wait for further instructions to be posted — which I expect are forthcoming. It’s a fun grid… clever cluing, as always! Mechanism is easy, once the correction is made.

UPDATE pt. 2 - corrections made while I was typing that! See below.
Last edited by HeadinHome on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The other Wendy. :roll:
boharr

Post by boharr »

The cat is out roaming around. Thanks, DrTom.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

SOLVERS...It is not you its me!

The answer is not witty, the grid is incorrect. In a last minute attempt to make the fill cleaner I made the solve impossible. I m asking Joe Ross to change the puzzle on-line, but in the meantime, please use this version. For you that "almost got it" it is the last letter of the solve that is corrupt. ARRGH! Though not another ULTRA it is the same doofus mistake.
https://crosshare.org/crosswords/VHK1Q ... -corrected
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:33 am SOLVERS...It is not you its me!

The answer is not witty, the grid is incorrect. In a last minute attempt to make the fill cleaner I made the solve impossible. I m asking Joe Ross to change the puzzle on-line, but in the meantime, please use this version. For you that "almost got it" it is the last letter of the solve that is corrupt. ARRGH! Though not another ULTRA it is the same doofus mistake.
Well that saved a lot of angst.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Thank you for the update and fun puzzle! Cat is out the bag and is scratching the rug!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

The cat has been freed and is now climbing his cat tree, socially, with all his friends.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:59 am

Well that saved a lot of angst.
Well for others perhaps, however I have a pail-full if you need some.....
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat is out. That was a fun one. Thanks Dr Tom!
Cindy Heisler
Meg

Post by Meg »

Always a pleasure, Dr. Tom!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Cat has been de-bagged. Thanks for the puzzle, Tom!
Matthew
kurtalert

Post by kurtalert »

Freed! Thanks!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Look in the bag and you’ll see: No cat!
woozy

Post by woozy »

I think the meta still has a problem. The mechanism I want to use and the answer I'd like to have doesn't seem to match the grid. I think you need to replace the grid with another that will match what I want the answer to be.

Just kidding. A fun and easy puzzle that jumps out and grabs you by the throat when you see it. Thanks.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

woozy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:05 pm I think the meta still has a problem. The mechanism I want to use and the answer I'd like to have doesn't seem to match the grid. I think you need to replace the grid with another that will match what I want the answer to be.

Just kidding. A fun and easy puzzle that jumps out and grabs you by the throat when you see it. Thanks.
Wow for a minute there you had me going!

Grabbed you by the throat! Gosh I wanted to learn to juggle not learn to jugular...
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

The cat climbed the social ladder right out of the bag.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

lbray53 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:11 pm The cat climbed the social ladder right out of the bag.
Cats are such social animals!
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

cat is out
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dr.Buttbeard wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:10 pm cat is out
OK, but don't chase him.....he was traumatized this AM by his stupid creator!