MEOW #147 Social Climbers

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I'm not into social climbing, but stair climbing is pretty much "Relative"...
MC Escher's_Relativity.jpg
Seattle DB
Darth

Post by Darth »

Cats are out! Thanks, Tom! ....
Now, can you get us down from here??
images (37).jpg
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat:
Cats have climbed out of the bag. Fun one!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Berto

Post by Berto »

Cat out! Took me a loooong time to fill the grid, but thankfully the meta answer came quickly. Thank you Dr Tom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

dsbened wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:37 pm I'm not into social climbing, but stair climbing is pretty much "Relative"...

The picture quite adequately describes how I sometimes feel creating these darn things. I can often run into myself... coming the other way
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Whew! Day 1 over and crisis behind me. You have no idea how aggravating it is to post a puzzle that you think is OK only to find out you made a bonehead mistake. At any rate it appears I have been forgiven because there was a pretty good turnout:

1 Benchen71
2 HeadInHome
3 boharr
4 SamKat9
5 Schmidzy
6 Cinny
7 Meg
8 MatthewL
9 Tom Wilson
10 Alex Sisti
11 Hector
12 kurtalert
13 Katiedid
14 Carolyn
15 Sharkicicles
16 DIS
17 BarbaraK
18 Chris Kochmanski
19 woozy
20 JM
21 lbray53
22 laura
23 DrButtBeard
24 jacklyn
25 markhr
26 Philip Chow
27 Darth
28 Gutman
29 whimsy
30 JHSeeman
31 KayW
32 Berto

Who knows, my place in society may well yet improve!

Thank you solvers.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Late to it w traveling all day yesterday, but fun one, DrT! Preferred the prior version since you had to sacrifice a couple good clues, but there were groaners aplenty nonetheless (27D, 28A)… thanks for the puzzle!
Ray
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Got it Tom! Fun stuff.

Here’s a well intentioned couple whose aim of a long happy marriage is being fulfilled- we’ll celebrate our 55th next month
IMG_0795.jpeg
2014 photo
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Cat's out! Nice one, @DrTom!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
ajk

Post by ajk »

Crazy how things can be hidden one day and obvious the next. Didn't see it yesterday, despite actively looking for part of the answer (well, ok, it can't have been *that* active if I didn't find it), but saw it instantly today. Fun stuff, thanks.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Very creative and clever clue for 59D: "Born to be an author, not born to be wild"!!!
Seattle DB
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:21 am Late to it w traveling all day yesterday, but fun one, DrT! Preferred the prior version since you had to sacrifice a couple good clues, but there were groaners aplenty nonetheless (27D, 28A)… thanks for the puzzle!
Yes, I had to drop some funny ones for the sake of solvability and then the new ones I did not have time to be creative since it happened Wednesday AM. Thanks for solving
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MaineMarge wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:31 am Got it Tom! Fun stuff.

Here’s a well intentioned couple whose aim of a long happy marriage is being fulfilled- we’ll celebrate our 55th next month
IMG_0795.jpeg
2014 photo
Looks like there is another thing that you nourished and grew to a thing of beauty and strength, just like your flowers. Congratulations on 55 years
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MaineMarge wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:31 am Got it Tom! Fun stuff.

IMG_0795.jpeg
2014 photo
Eric chose well
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Off the couch and awaiting confirmation.

Trying to keep up with my solving buddy Maine Marge but she has me by one year in the marriage department. (one of the great con jobs of all time - not Maine Marge but me)

August 2, 1969
IMG_20220801_0001-2.jpg
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ReB

Post by ReB »

Wow, first I literally got off the couch I was lying down on just before heading off to bed and decided to take a last look at the puzzle before tomorrow's nudges. And then like a bolt from the blue, I found myself off "off the couch" in the MEOW sense as well!

(Still have to head off to bed, though...)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So a day two count:

33 rjy
34 Capn Rick
35 ajk
36 andeux
37 Bob cruise director
38 ReB

Thirty eight solvers were able to identify the couple in question. Nudges tomorrow for those still wondering.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Nudge Friday!

There are two very obvious "nudge clues" in the puzzle, 40 and 72A

Both emphasize the importance of angles and one almost gives you the origin and terminus.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Needed the nudges, but solved!
Cynthia
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free! Thanks, DrTom!!