T Squares by Patrick Berry, 9/16/23 WSJ

A place for discussion about variety puzzles such as acrostics, marching bands, rows and gardens, and diagramless.
Jace54

T Squares by Patrick Berry, 9/16/23 WSJ

Post by Jace54 »

Wow, finally cracked this one but it was brutal! Got the top half eventually filled in but then had to resort to Google to get some toeholds below. Even then it took multiple passes and new printouts to finally finish. 0% chance I could have solved this without some assistance.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Haven’t seen this one before. Will dig in tomorrow morning with my coffee!
Kevin
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

I've written down what I think are the answers to about half of the clues, but have no idea how to even begin to fill in the grid. I will look with fresh eyes after coffee in the morning and see if inspiration strikes.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Jace54 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:29 pm Wow, finally cracked this one but it was brutal! Got the top half eventually filled in but then had to resort to Google to get some toeholds below. Even then it took multiple passes and new printouts to finally finish. 0% chance I could have solved this without some assistance.
Agree. Brutal! Also needed to do some googling. Fun, though. Heck, I’m still up at nearly 2 am, so you know this was involving.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SewYoung wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:30 pm
Hello, stranger!

♥️
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:32 am
SewYoung wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:30 pm
Hello, stranger!

♥️
Hello, Yourself!! I have (obviously) been absent for a while. Partly because I have been very busy and partly because I am embarrassed by my poor performance on the metas. I still do the puzzles. Work the grid, see nothing, say I will look at it again later, either never get back to it or look again and still see nothing, look at the solution Monday morning, slap my head and say "I'll get it next week", rinse and repeat. We are leaving for the Lake Sunday after church and will be there all week. I hope to make the Zoom call Tuesday.
I hope you are all well. I miss everybody.
auee89

Post by auee89 »

Just finished! Really enjoyed this one. Thanks Patrick!

Back to the WSJ Friday grid.
Kevin
DebbieC

Post by DebbieC »

Got them all except 25A. I'm a huge Patrick Berry fan but really stumped on this one entry (actually just a couple of letters). Any help? Thanks in advance, Debbie

Figured it out. A very clever Patrick Berry, tougher and more complex than most of his, in my opinion. Great workout.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Wow, I don't recall doing one like this before, and I agree, it was a tough one. Worked mostly around from top left to right, to bottom right and then to the left which took a while to drop. Didn't have to resort to Google, tho I thought I would have to. Incredible construction, IMO. Tip of the hat to Patrick.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

Unbelievable construction! Brutal solve. Too much going on for me to say I like this style puzzle. And I normally love a PB puzzle.
KayW

Post by KayW »

Wow!! This was a tough one, but very satisfying to finally solve. I don't remember seeing this type of puzzle before.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

I was excited to see a new kind of puzzle by PB, but am a little disappointed. I managed to finish, but it was a slog.
Richard B.

Post by Richard B. »

It’ll be interesting to see if the WSJ offers this style puzzle again. Seems like mixed reviews here and elsewhere.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

This was a tough one. Had to sleep on my final solve. I don't see how he can conceive these.
iggystan

Post by iggystan »

Joepickett wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:47 am This was a tough one. Had to sleep on my final solve. I don't see how he can conceive these.
Me either!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Yes, difficult. After penciling in a couple of entries, I foolishly switched to pen. Soon realized I'd need to print out another grid. Finally, when I was finished, I checked by outlining the T around each entry. After a few of these, it would look like there was an isolated letter unchecked, but then a few words later, I'd see that it was part of another entry. So not only is it amazing that Mr. Berry could find three dozen words and phrases with internal palindromes, some of five or even seven letters, but it was beyond amazing that he could fit them all into a 12x12 grid with no blank squares.
Jay
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I too needed to print out two grids! Solving got easier when I had some letters in the grid to play with. Figuring out the instructions reminded me of my very early meta days!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TMart

Post by TMart »

Just finished. This was pretty amazing.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Giving up after my third attempt. How someone could put a puzzle like this together is simply beyond me. But I'd be fine never seeing one again. I've got 5 different color highlighters trying to keep track of what squares belong to what clues. But I just can't make PIANO SONATA fit in with ALAN ALDA and MOBILE LIBRARY.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Nino

Post by Nino »

18 was the last solve, for me. I had the two words of the solution reversed. After I put it aside and came back to it, I realized what the correct solution was.