"Then and Now" - December 6, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Like others, needed to consult with Mr. G.
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Treading water off shore last night but some morning coffee brought it home. Tough but in hindsight fair.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Good morning Isaac. I’ll have my usual mimosa. And 2 Excedrin please.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Sometimes the meta answer required knowledge of what's "popular"in the entertainment business.
This time, the more mature muggles have the advantage, as I did not grow up here and have never heard of or even seen the image of this duo.
But,... On shore, anyway.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

spotter wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:44 pm I've got the mechanism but can't yet get a cartoon duo from it. I guess I'll have a drink with Isaac while I think on this one some more
I think I have the mechanism, but can only feel 80% good about it. And, I see no Step 2. Bob, count me on the boat with Isaac. I need to think and study a while.
Cynthia
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm Isaac: one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer please.
that sounds like a Double Depth Charge

haven't had one of them since college
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

SewYoung wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm Someone mentioned being left handed early this week. I am, too and am always interested how many others are as well. I asked that for other left handed Muggles to make themselves known. I imagine that most of you had already stopped looking at the contest comments by that time, So I ask again. I'm curious to know how many of us there are.
do I get double credit because my wife is a southpaw also?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Right now I am hanging with Isaac. Not being a cartoon addict, I may have a problem especially because I have no clue as to what the "mechanism" is now.

Are Marie Kondo and Margaret Cho a famous cartoon duo?

By the way, how many of us have heard of 5D or 20A?
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
jenirvin

Post by jenirvin »

I have an answer, but I want to mull it over a bit before submitting. There are a couple potential glitches that I just can't rectify, yet. If I can, then I'm there, if I can't, then I'm apparently down a rabbit hole. Count me mulling wine and the puzzle with Isaac. ;)
~ Jennifer/jenirvin
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I wish I didn't recognize 5D, but it's a daily visitor to my bathroom mirror.
Inca

Post by Inca »

I was getting ready to sit down and vie for the coveted mug when I saw: an MG-meta, an entertainment-ish topic, even the tried and true were busy googling. So, I just decided to skip the meta and enjoy my morning coffee in my lovely and adequate mug. I know I'll be back before Sunday night: just can't resist the pull of those metas. But for now, I'm not up for that.
Last edited by Inca on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Ashore.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

I submitted an answer, but all I'm sure of is that "The Lonely Goatherd" will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. 55D, anyone?
KayW

Post by KayW »

I see the mechanism - or at least the first step of it. But no idea where to go from there. Yet. Looks like I'll be keeping Isaac company this week.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:51 am
SewYoung wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm Someone mentioned being left handed early this week. I am, too and am always interested how many others are as well. I asked that for other left handed Muggles to make themselves known. I imagine that most of you had already stopped looking at the contest comments by that time, So I ask again. I'm curious to know how many of us there are.
do I get double credit because my wife is a southpaw also?
But of course. Do you have children and if so, are any of them left handed? My brother is, but neither of my parents are. We also have three cousins (that I know of) who are.
I don't know why the subject fascinates me so.
Meg

Post by Meg »

I am on the shore, but honestly, I’ve never heard of this cartoon duo. Sigh.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Joining Marge in the stern garden until it's time to hit Isaac's bar for a bloody Mary...
With the others who have the first step in a mechanism but lost for the next!
Guy

Post by Guy »

I'm keeping company with several other muggles, see step 1 but nothing further at this time...
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

there appear to be two mechanisms, which makes sense, in that we're looking for a duo.

but I'm making no progress with either of them. Isaac - time for something with caffeine in it - Irish Coffee, black.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

Like others, I never heard of this duo (or if I did, the memory is lost with all the other things I've forgotten). But I believe I'm on shore.