"Drawing a Blank" by Cap'n Rick and Wendy Walker

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

lbray53 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:33 am I made an incorrect guess and then inadvertently clicked on the Give Up/Reveal. Talk about irony!!
Yes, we "forgot" to turn that off. :D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
woozy

Post by woozy »

Okay, *finally* got it figured out. I had to be told what the answer was.... and what the mechanism was.... and it still took me a day after that...
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
Alvibu67

Post by Alvibu67 »

SSSolved - only after overthinking it and needing every nudge!

Great puzzle, Wennedy!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Our final SSSolvers were:
39. ZooAnimalsonWheels
40. Markhr
41. Lbray53
42. Hoover
43. Woozy
44. Streroto
45. Alvibu67

Thank you all for SSSolving! The meta answer is SENIOR MOMENTS.

Solvers had to notice that there were six “blanks” in the clues, the first letters of which spelled SENIOR.

1. Situations when one really should have known better: ___ in judgment
23. “Every ___ Way But Loose”
28. “No soup for ___!” (Soup Nazi’s proclamation)
51. “If I ___ be so bold …”
58. “Only ___ Be With You” (Hootie & the Blowfish song)
72. “Remind me not to ___”

“But, hey, Team Wennedy,” you protest, “that’s only six letters; what about the remaining seven?”

The large number of clues referring to memory and its loss (we crammed as many in as we possibly could: 15A, 21A, 29A, 48A, 3D, 11D, 32D, 46D, 53D, 56D, 62D) should have prompted solvers to infer that MOMENTS was the second half of the phrase we were looking for.
Attachments
revealdrawingablank.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:08 am Thank you all for SSSolving! The meta answer is SENIOR MOMENTS.

Solvers had to notice that there were six “blanks” in the clues, the first letters of which spelled SENIOR.

1. Situations when one really should have known better: ___ in judgment
23. “Every ___ Way But Loose”
28. “No soup for ___!” (Soup Nazi’s proclamation)
51. “If I ___ be so bold …”
58. “Only ___ Be With You” (Hootie & the Blowfish song)
72. “Remind me not to ___”

“But, hey, Team Wennedy,” you protest, “that’s only six letters; what about the remaining seven?”

The large number of clues referring to memory and its loss (we crammed as many in as we possibly could: 15A, 21A, 29A, 48A, 3D, 11D, 32D, 46D, 53D, 56D, 62D) should have prompted solvers to infer that MOMENTS was the second half of the phrase we were looking for.
And surely having the fill in the blank clues be "Lapses which you may want to forget" was not random :)

Nice one!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:39 am
And surely having the fill in the blank clues be "Lapses which you may want to forget" was not random :)

Nice one!
Whoops! Looks like we "forgot" to mention that part of the mechanism. :lol: Thanks, @BarbaraK!

And thank you, @Wendy Walker, for a fun co-construction. Let's plan to collaborate on another meta "project" soon! ;)
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:40 pm

And thank you, @Wendy Walker, for a fun co-construction. Let's plan to collaborate on another meta "project" soon! ;)
I will not overlook that kind invitation, @Cap'n Rick !
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I'm still a newbie who is trying to figure out how the SSS site works, but is there a place where I can view the completed grid? Plz help!
Seattle DB
KayW

Post by KayW »

dsbened wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:09 pm I'm still a newbie who is trying to figure out how the SSS site works, but is there a place where I can view the completed grid? Plz help!
If you open the CROSSHARE link to this puzzle, you should see a REVEAL option in the upper right, and you can reveal the entire grid.

But here is a copy of the completed grid for this puzzle:
DrawingABlank.png
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

And here's a copy with the themers highlighted, @dsbened:

Reveal Grid.jpg