"Drawing a Blank" by Cap'n Rick and Wendy Walker

Formerly known as the “Sunday Summer Substitute”, editor Cap'n Rick now takes the helm for 'Smooth Sailing Sundays'. As The Commodores sang about Sunday morning, the SSS will focus on easier metas. SSS will also support smaller grids and will mentor new constructors on request. Puzzles released each Sunday around 8am Eastern. Nudges released same day at Noon Eastern. New constructors are welcome.
Wendy Walker

"Drawing a Blank" by Cap'n Rick and Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Here's another SSS collaboration by "Wennedy" (fitting portmanteau word coined by @Al Sisti). We had lots of fun creating this puzzle (as a rookie constructor, Wendy finds that it's a great learning experience working with Rick!) and we hope you enjoy it.

Thank you to @Abide , @Al Sisti , and @MarkWoychick for test-solving and giving us great advice.

Drawing a Blank crosshare

Drawing a Blank PUZ

Drawing a Blank PDF

Drawing a Blank spreadsheet

Nudges Sunday afternoon.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Gee, @Wendy Walker, it looks like we came up with a good title for this one! :lol:
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Cap'n Rick wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:38 am Gee, @Wendy Walker, it looks like we came up with a good title for this one! :lol:
We’re thinking! We’re thinking! The grid & cluing were fabulous, and I see the likely theme and cogent parts, but what to do with them??
The other Wendy. :roll:
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Likewise. I see something very elegant that points to an answer but leaves many possibilities. So clearly I’m still missing stuff.

Edit: Post enlightenment strikes against. Sssolved! Suggestion to everyone: don’t overcomplicate it.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:58 am Suggestion to everyone: don’t overcomplicate it.
Always a problem with me… but the problem is, the “simple” solution yields gibberish.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Wow, looks as if Rick and I underestimated the difficulty of this one!
So here are two early nudges that we hope will boost the number of SSSolvers:
Literally, how do you draw a blank? And how might that apply to the puzzle?
What subject do many of the clues allude to (pretty blatantly)? Do you suppose it's relevant that one of the constructors just celebrated a significant birthday?
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:45 am Wow, looks as if Rick and I underestimated the difficulty of this one!
So here are two early nudges that we hope will boost the number of SSSolvers:
Literally, how do you draw a blank? And how might that apply to the puzzle?
What subject do many of the clues allude to (pretty blatantly)? Do you suppose it's relevant that one of the constructors just celebrated a significant birthday?

This just in from NOAA:

A Bit Choppy.JPG
has been upgraded to:
Surfin USA.JPG
:D
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

SSSolved with the early nudges. Thank you, it was fun!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Sssolved. Thanks for the puzzle!
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Think I'm gonna need to wait for more nudges. See the things I'm supposed to see, but no idea what to do with them (and Nudge 1 is a mystery to me).
Matthew
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

SSSolved. Thank you, Team Wennedy!
Untitledsssnakearms.png
Celebrating with this creature, since I recently found out that "drawing" appendages on snakes is a thing.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Next nudge, a nostalgic one.
Though my elementary school days ended decades ago, Sundays still have a "get ready for the school week" feel to them. Perhaps a quiz was coming up -- I remember the smell of the moist, freshly mimeographed test papers, with their blurry purple type. What type of quiz question could you always ace -- Matching? Multiple choice? Fill in the ___ ? True/false?
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

A wise but possibly annoying nudge (only because it is so often repeated).
What should you do if you can't seem to derive anything useful from the grid?
boharr

Post by boharr »

SSSolved. Clever one. Thanks.
Clark E. Tripe

Post by Clark E. Tripe »

Man that "Hurricane Wennedy" is sure packing a punch! I thought these SSS metas were supposed to be less-challenging. Would somebody please fill me in on what's going on???!"
"I'm a paper tape guy in a punch card world"
boharr

Post by boharr »

Clark E. Tripe wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:59 am Man that "Hurricane Wennedy" is sure packing a punch! I thought these SSS metas were supposed to be less-challenging. Would somebody please fill me in on what's going on???!"
You are so .....
KayW

Post by KayW »

Well, so far I am following the title instruction perfectly - I'm DRAWING A BLANK on this one. Well, that's not true. I have some rabbit holes. One is even amusing (to me), but it's not 13 letters. I'll hope for some of Barbara's post-enlightenment.

EDIT: :crossed_swords: :rabbit: :snake: SSSolved. And actually my amusing rabbit hole was on the right path. I just needed to DRAW a little harder. Well done!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Six of the across clues have something in common.
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally got it. Read all the nudges but didn't really need to. Just needed to get around to the right method. Fun click in the end, thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

No nudges needed....thanks Wendy & Rick for the fun SSS puzzle!