"Oh And One More Thing" September 8, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Horsesense
Location: Sometimes Michigan, Sometimes Texas, but Maine at Heart

Post by Horsesense »

Exhausting but oh so fun trip to play with grandkids, back home with some time left on a Sunday to pick up the puzzle and done & done for a clean (no nudge) submission 😊
Trish

Post by Trish »

Still plugging away here! Deep, deep rabbit hole! Have the symphony this afternoon so will give it one last try this evening. Will try to join the last zoom if we fail!!
mkmf

Post by mkmf »

On the boat. Locked in steerage.
woozy

Post by woozy »

I have a feeling it will be one of a few possible concepts I thought of but which have no real obvious hooks or ahas as to which one and I jiust don't really know enough about the subjects to shuffle about. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

It's not so much that I don't have any idea what to do as I don't have any idea how to pin this down to what I have to do. At least this week I probably won't forget to submit, I just won't have anything to submit.

EDIT: And from the nudges I've received it looked like I was correct. Not sure why some things seem worth grabbing and pursuing and when they don't but somehow .... well, perhaps if I had a different bag of small talk and commonly recognized cultural references... but somehow to me this just didn't hold me for the step one. And knowing there is a step 2... I'm going to just pass on this one, I think.

EDIT2: yeah kinda sorta everything I thought it would be. Not one for the ages. More of a "there was a meta this weekend and it'd write about it but I've only already filled up these margins with doodles of turtles playing banjos"
Last edited by woozy on Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
0842sw

Post by 0842sw »

Ashore! Difficult one this week. Not many rabbit holes I found, but still many things to trudge through once I thought I had the mechanism.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Ashore & submitted.

Finally had more than 5 minutes to devote to this. Solved after an hour of *thinkiating w/out help nor hints. Very well done, @MattGaffney!

On to MMMM.
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

Ashore. No alcohol please, just a couple Aleve. My brain's busted.
ron

Post by ron »

Challenge for me. I did the grid the other day but had nothing on the meta so I set it aside.

Noticed a little while ago my bride threw out the paper!

Rescued it from the trash and pretty quickly got the first half of the solution, though there was some googling involved. Then sat here digging various holes until I finally saw it.

So, late to the beach but I made it.
JAQT

Post by JAQT »

On shore with a gentle nudge from @BarbaraK (at least I think it was gentle). Thank you!
JustAQuickThought
otlaolap

Post by otlaolap »

Floating hopelessly at sea. Not a scintilla, not a farthing, crumbless. Just the faint aroma of Isaac's domain somewhere out there somewhere.
Bonnibel

Post by Bonnibel »

Solved this after sleeping on it Thursday night.

Forgot to post in the forum.

The trickiest thing for me with this one was, even after solving, was seeing the elegance.

Home after a fun weekend with family in San Diego, we are exhausted.

Could sure use a little Jimmy Buffett right about now. We've been listening to him on XM/Sirius radio Margaritaville channel 24. Check it out! They play his live concerts which are the best because he was always so interactive with his audiences. Lots of memories right there.

Pour me something tall and strong, make it a hurricane....
🌴🍹
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

I'm staying on the ship yet again. Mr. Hidden can hear my discouraged sighs all the way upstairs!
Sara
Luxmea

Post by Luxmea »

Ashore thanks to a helpful nudge from the zoom group. I had the mechanism figured out, but was just missing that final step.
Trish

Post by Trish »

Whew! Finally got it! That was tough. Thanks Sunday Zoom muggles for getting me back on the right track!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Our final count is 17 on the ship and 143 on the shore. Good luck winning the mug and see you next Thursday
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Alas, still floating at sea this week.
KscX

Post by KscX »

Ashore
mikeB

Post by mikeB »

On the ship for the duration, I'm afraid. Revisited this puzzle several times Saturday and today, to no avail. This is one of those metas that I believe will offer a breathtakingly interesting reveal tomorrow -- looking forward to it.
LarsCaine

Post by LarsCaine »

No mug for this muggle.
JerryF

Post by JerryF »

My head hurts. This one has me. Back to the boat.