"Oh And One More Thing" September 8, 2023

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Ashore. So glad to have finally gotten it. No matter that it's at 11:30 pm on Saturday night (and maybe page 9)
Miki

Post by Miki »

Miki wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:33 pm Ashore. So glad to have finally gotten it. No matter that it's at 11:30 pm on Saturday night (and maybe page 9)
Started page 10
dk letter

Post by dk letter »

Ashore! After a lot of swimming, finally made it. Loved this one!
wescovington

Post by wescovington »

I'm ashore. And i will state for the record that I totally and completely hated everything about this puzzle and it made me doubt my sanity and my hope for any future mental development.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Here's a survey to all of the people who were ashore (and may be drinking):
What do you think is the age cutoff at which the elegant element of this puzzle will not be appreciated?
haydendog

Post by haydendog »

Made it to shore with help from DrTom. I was headed in the right direction but needed to change course. I enjoyed this one!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Miki wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:36 am Here's a survey to all of the people who were ashore (and may be drinking):
What do you think is the age cutoff at which the elegant element of this puzzle will not be appreciated?
I’m not really sure what the extra elegance vs regular elegance is. Maybe I got it all at once (or I’m still missing something.)

I found the construction elegant, but googling uninteresting things (4 out of 5) was not so appealing. To get the whole thing without google would require a broad knowledge base in any generation. Mechanism wise, I don’t see any age connection. I’m a boomer fwiw.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
Adajeo

Post by Adajeo »

Ashore - I had the right idea all along, but mis-read some of the clues, which lead me astray.
Tennis.png
"To finish the moment, to find the journey’s end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom" Ralph Waldo Emerson
Abide

Post by Abide »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:55 am {some pithy comments}
I agree with this. Perhaps one solver's elegance is another solver's aggravation.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Colin

Post by Colin »

“Oh, and one more thing…
Another beer please Isaac”
Week two unpacking! 🤪
One world. One planet. One future.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

ImOnToo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:31 pm On shore! 🏝️
That took some thinkiating!
"thinkiating"

I am stealing this early & often.
Libbypibby

Post by Libbypibby »

Ashore. Took way too long!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Miki wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:36 am Here's a survey to all of the people who were ashore (and may be drinking):
I’d say Gen X would be it given what the elegance is and how it would be used.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HunterX wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:27 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:27 am The Zoom session leads me to think that the elegance or confirming element that others found was the place where I started.
I got the answer without that confirming element. And I was a little nonplussed by the metanism, until I saw the confirming element, that is. Leading me to believe that you found the answer the intended way, whereas I missed the true path and took an unintended short cut.

While nonplussed, at first, it didn't subtract from the puzzle. It just divided us all into two groups (two fractions, you might say). Which adds up to a whole lotta fun. (I guess I tried to get to the root of the matter.)
Ditto!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Abide wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:34 am
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:55 am {some pithy comments}
I agree with this. Perhaps one solver's elegance is another solver's aggravation.
Don’t go getting pithy on us…
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

I've got like 3/5 of an answer -- or maybe 5/5s of a rabbit hole. Can I bounce what I've got so far off someone who can tell if I'm on the right track?
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning muggles

some progress being made on the meta as we have 15 on the ship and 133 on the shore.

Joining the others for Isaacs Sunday buffet are

copperriver
ladybird
Colin

And getting to the shore are

Kay
Yoda66
Gman
Aragorn
hunkra
ZooAnimalsOnWheels
David Wi
ImOnToo
Ann
Olof
rexthree
Flying_Burrito
BigPear
Sleepy
Miki
Wescovington
lbray
haydendog
dk letter
Libbypibby

Good luck with the meta and have a great week
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
rpv

Post by rpv »

We are also stuck. Been back and forth all weekend. Any nudges in a PM would be welcome (and can explain our potential rabbit holes…)
arecibo

Post by arecibo »

Ashore. An all-time classic (and I say this as one of those who solved it without knowing _why_ they were doing what they were doing (and I'm early Gen X)). I know now.
CopperRiver

Post by CopperRiver »

Ashore with nudge / confirmation from @Bob cruise director . Thanks!
Whew!
Last edited by CopperRiver on Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.