MEOW #145 Holding Out For A Hero

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
benchen71

MEOW #145 Holding Out For A Hero

Post by benchen71 »

It's time for another BenChen71-attempts-to-channel-Madhatter5 puzzle. :D Once again, the conventions of crosswords have been thrown out the window! Well, it's perhaps not quite as drastic as all that. OK, so there's no symmetry, but I made sure to avoid 2-letter words this time (which was hard, let me tell you!) All told, I consider this one to be "Persian" in difficulty (equivalent of a "week 3"). The answer to the meta is a hero.

And there's a prize! The randomly-drawn name will win a MOAT Music Meta Pack valued at $US10.

The easiest way to submit is on Crosshare (and you get instant feedback and unlimited attempts!) But you can also PM me with your submission. Either way, I'll compile a list of those who successfully solve the meta.

Holding Out For A Hero - Online Form
Holding Out For A Hero - PUZ
Holding Out For A Hero - PDF
Holding Out For A Hero - spreadsheet

Kitten
Calico
Persian
Puma
Lion

Nudges are here.
The solution is here.
Last edited by benchen71 on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Wow - there is a whole lot of something going on in this grid… meta themers or Easter eggs? Or just coincidences? No idea what to do with all these loosely related parts…
The other Wendy. :roll:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

HeadinHome wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:18 am Wow - there is a whole lot of something going on in this grid… meta themers or Easter eggs? Or just coincidences? No idea what to do with all these loosely related parts…
@HeadinHome, I agree. Not sure what to do with everything I'm seeing. I'm holding out for a hero!
Meg

Post by Meg »

OMG! My WAG was correct! Except I don’t understand it. Some interesting backsolving coming up.
(Later) With the help of some kind muggles, I now understand everything! Nice, Ben.
Last edited by Meg on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Ergcat wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:36 pm
HeadinHome wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:18 am Wow - there is a whole lot of something going on in this grid… meta themers or Easter eggs? Or just coincidences? No idea what to do with all these loosely related parts…
@HeadinHome, I agree. Not sure what to do with everything I'm seeing. I'm holding out for a hero!
I'm holding out for early nudges. :shock:
Matthew
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

I’m not getting anywhere either. While waiting for nudges, I’ll do another in Ben’s MOAT Music Meta Pack. Recommended!
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

I haven't looked at the puzzle yet, but based on the title I think the meta is "Bonnie Tyler". (Am I right?, lol!)
Seattle DB
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bag sans cat!

I had a bit of help with the shooing.
woozy

Post by woozy »

Meg wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:18 pm OMG! My WAG was correct! Except I don’t understand it. Some interesting backsolving coming up.
(Later) With the help of some kind muggles, I now understand everything! Nice, Ben.
My first wag wasn't but my second one was.

Now to back solve. I have absolutely no idea about this meta. The only thing I know is the answer.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

We're nearing the end of the first 24 hours, and here are all of the successful solvers so far:

Hector
Danny K Bernstein
Meg
Cindy Weatherman
I K Snamhcok
woozy

That's only 6! It seems this cat is not a Persian but a Puma! :o
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Glad it’s not just me!

And some of those solvers either WAG’d or had help.
The other Wendy. :roll:
woozy

Post by woozy »

HeadinHome wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:29 pm Glad it’s not just me!

And some of those solvers either WAG’d or had help.
Not sure what WAG means but in context I WAGged my second guess.

It might be hard to solve but it's pretty easy to guess and there will quite a bit of circumstantial confirmation once you guess[*]. And coming up with a back rationale is not too weird. But I kind of doubt that anyone actually did a direct solve.

Actually depending on what WAG means I might not have been 100% WAG but only 54% wag. But I probably should learn what WAG means before I make any such pronouncements.

[*]My first wrong guess has a bit of circumstantial confirmation but nowhere near as much as my second.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I'm not making any progress with this one yet, I think I'm also going to hold out for nudges lol
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
markhr

Post by markhr »

woozy wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:42 pm Not sure what WAG means but in context I WAGged my second guess.
WAG = wild a** guess (from my old aerospace days).
Very little foothold on this meta, so WAG may be the way to go, until nudges arrive.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Nudges, in order of increasing blatancy:

1. There are no obvious clues in the grid. The long entry (16 A) is just a long entry; and 1A and 69A are not clues either.

2. That said, there must be *something* going on with 48A since it explicitly cites the puzzle title.

3. Did you wonder at a grid that includes both 13D and 68A (which was itself referred to by 13A)? Did you Google the scientific name in the clue for 22A?

4. A colouring-in pencil might be of assistance!

5. Turns out symmetry hasn't been *totally* abandoned. And there are two other helpful entries, both centrally located (horizontally speaking): one down, one across.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Definitely needed all of the nudges, but cat has been de-bagged. Thanks Ben!
Matthew
MMe

Post by MMe »

MMethinks the two helpful entries, while still helpful, do not exactly belong together.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

MMe wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:18 pm MMethinks the two helpful entries, while still helpful, do not exactly belong together.
MANTLE didn't fit!
Abide

Post by Abide »

This was very cool-- I only needed three nudges! Madhatter would be proud.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free!
Definitely Needed the nudges! Clever one, Ben!