Forest Sight - September 2023

A monthly, music-themed meta crossword published at noon on the first Tuesday of every month. The puzzles increase in difficulty each month, and at year end there is a 13th puzzle (the "Mega-Meta") that invokes each of the 12 monthly puzzles. Currently available at https://pmxwords.com/, as well as through the Washington Post website here: MMMM at WaPo
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Got there with help from a kind muggle. LOL indeed. KAS 5 for me. Can’t understand how you all saw what you needed to see! MMMM playing much harder for me this year!! I was 11/12 in 2022 and only 6/9 this year. I’m getting a complex!!

Stay well
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Another Muggle just pointed out to me something absolutely genius that I'd completely missed in this puzzle. WOW!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

The fat lady sang thanks to a couple of nudges.
I've never been a fan of opera, but this one hit a high note!
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:16 pm Another Muggle just pointed out to me something absolutely genius that I'd completely missed in this puzzle. WOW!
I'm curious to hear what that is after the deadline!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:notes: Guided out of the forest and onto the leaderboard by @sharkicicles
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
PCP92

Post by PCP92 »

Recognized the first part of the Meta immediately but have been stuck since Friday. Could use a nudge!

Edit: Just realized the mechanism shortly after posting. Good a-ha moment.
Katiedid

Post by Katiedid »

Wendy Walker wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:16 pm Another Muggle just pointed out to me something absolutely genius that I'd completely missed in this puzzle. WOW!
I just went back to see if I'd missed anything too. I had. Wow, that is cool!
sfrechet

Post by sfrechet »

I've found the forest sights, but have been quite stuck since then. Any nudges would be greatly appreciated!
m5rammy

Post by m5rammy »

sfrechet wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:59 pm I've found the forest sights, but have been quite stuck since then. Any nudges would be greatly appreciated!
PM me with what you have, and I will try to gently guide you
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Thanks to a gentle nudge from @sharkicicles, I am out of the forest. :)
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

Me too! Found Carrie's letters under the left side of the wood without noticing that they were there on the right side too - solving the mystery of why the picnic table reference was there. Doh!
Last edited by DCBilly on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KayW

Post by KayW »

ForestSightReveal.png

And a special shout-out to @MaineMarge for the best inadvertent spoiler ever. She does not solve MMMM, but this was her WORDLE post on Saturday:
MaineMarge wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:41 am Wordle 812 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Carrie Underwood and Music Box rose
Remember she has WOOD UNDER her- built upon a cedar post sunk into the ground
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Woulda swore that was Carrie Overwood
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Silly me. Got it right without understanding the metanism. But before that, I missed the first and last tree at the beginning, and had only FIR, OAK, ASH, and ELM. For just a brief moment, I wondered if the famous(?) singer was something like Farooq As-Helm.

Saw the weirdly worded picnic table clue, and noticed the clear avoidance of the word WOOD. Also noticed the first and last trees. So my brain associations kicked in, and I thought of...

Ronnie Wood (Rolling Stones)
Michelle Branch
Justin Timberlake
Buddy Holly
Woody Guthrie
Neil Diamond (From the song, Cherry Cherry)
Carrie Underwood (American Idol?)
Edit: Oh yeah, Eth[EL M]erman

Trying to think, how could I prove which one of these is the right one, I couldn't come up with anything for most, but if it were to be Carrie, then I should look at the letters under the "woods". So I wrote down, "CLOCASARDRRORIDIEDLE", which of course, was gobbledygook. My favorite anagram engine said there were over 125,000 anagrams, and while I knew the word RECORD would be among them, I didn't go looking. I also tried the letters above and got another huge number of anagrams for more gobbledygook. That's when I noticed the first letter under each spelled out CARRIE. Never even noticed the last letter did as well, and that they made picnic table shapes when both were used.

Sometimes you can be lucky instead of good.

-DB
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Just found this one last night and thought I’d try it without looking at reveal. (I haven’t been keeping up with these this year). This is absolutely adorable in its idea, and so fun to finally figure out. Laugh out loud funny. Thanks!
The other Wendy. :roll:
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Please share, now that the contest is over!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Got the Mega Meta! Not easy my friends.
Heidi
hoover

Post by hoover »

OMG, I even tried to make little picnic tables like that but dropped it when I had CCAA that didn't look like it was going to go anywhere. :(