69. Let's Meet After Work

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

PDF and PUZ

Crosshare

When cats work, they require a purr-formance review.

---

September is here! It does mean that summer is unofficially ending, so this is the last puzzle in the Summer of Solves. We will still go back to puzzles on a bimonthly basis, and the next one will go live Saturday, September 16 at 1 pm ET (I hope the leaderboard will be finalized by then!).

---

1. Puzzle #68 answer: ABIDE

Correct entries: 49 (tying last week, with about 20 or so likely solo solves).

Shortest explanation, which is still a bit involved: The five longest across entries, with one letter changed, would contain within them five consecutive letters of the alphabet. (For instance, SUPERSTAR would have PQRST if the E were changed to a Q).

All changes (with new/old letter)

SUPQRSTAR (QE)
DEFGHTON (FI)
THIJKLIKEACAT (JN)
FIRSTUVE (UA)
BCDEFAULT (CY)

The new letter and replaced letter start and end five other 5-letter words in the grid. Their order, from top to bottom, JOANN, UMBRA, QUITE, CADDY, FIERI. We already have "used" the start and end letters of these, but the middle letters spell ABIDE, the contest answer and one of the few single 5-letter words (ABODE is the other I found) that share the property in question: when one letter is changed to another, a string of five consecutive letters of the alphabet forms: ABCDE, in this case! (I've also been told this is @Abide's favorite puzzle.)

The main question I had on this, which was fair, was why the center letters are used; I thought this was a legitimate mechanism, as nothing directly states the initial letters always have to spell the answer. In retrospect, I might have included some entry or directive that indicated to look toward the center.

Onward!

---

2. Leaderboard

---

3. This is the first Saturday in September and, indeed, we have a cool-down lap of a Level 1 to close out the Summer of Solves.

The answer to the meta is what you did to solve it (but not really).

Deadline is Saturday, September 9 at 1 pm ET, thus concluding the Summer of Solves!

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G
Last edited by MikeyG on Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

A great way to finish the Summer of Solves. Please keep going or we will experience The Winter of our Discontent
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Thanks Mikey! Can't believe the SOS is over already, it's been a blast!
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: Thanks for a beautiful Summer of Solves!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Whew. Needed a Level 1 after the last few weeks. Thanks, Mikey!
Matthew
markhr

Post by markhr »

Thanks for the Summer of Solves, Mikey. Really enjoyed it.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks Mikey! What’s the prize for being #6 on your leaderboard? There's a prize, right?
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Thanks for all the summer puzzles, Mikey. Oh, and go Cubs!
jhseeman

Post by jhseeman »

Fun finish to the season...thanks for all the great puzzles.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

In defense of the center mechanism, the question would be "why not?". The entries were all 5 letters long, the beginning and terminal letters were already "used" in finding those 5 words, meaning there were three "unused" letters left in each word. It would make a lot more sense to use the middle letter than either of the other two, besides when you write the 5 words out, one underneath each other in grid order in a spreadsheet or monospaced on paper (which we all tend to do), you see:
MIKEY.jpg
A very quick looks tells you what you need, it is the only real "word" AND it fits the theme (he has done so well he got promoted to an answer - the ultimate Peter Principle)!

I needed help to get there (muffed the very last part) but when I did I was delighted and impressed.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

^^^
I didn't get last week's either (well, the last step, that is) until about the 53rd nudge.
But hey, looking at @DrTom's grid just above I now see MID diagonally left-to-right and top-to-bottom, right in the MID!! You did give us that hint after all, Mikey!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Untitledzzpoke.png
What we'll all be doing to Mikey on September 15.
"Wake up, Mikey. It's time for POAK, POAK, POAK, POAK, POAK........"

Thank you for this last SofS puzzle and for the whole line-up; it's been great fun!
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

I came into the series a little late but I really enjoyed it. Thank you!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Meg wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:34 pm Thanks Mikey! What’s the prize for being #6 on your leaderboard? There's a prize, right?
Perhaps there should be a bonus if you share the creator's birthday!

MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

SamKat9 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:34 pm I came into the series a little late but I really enjoyed it. Thank you!
Hope to see you next summer and every other week henceforth in '23!

hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Fun one Mikey! I always enjoy your puzzles (and your cluing). Looking forward to the 16th!
Heidi
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Done and dusted, bringing to a close a great SoS. Thanks, Mikey!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Solved. Thanks, Mikey!
Cindy Heisler
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:04 pm when you write the 5 words out, one underneath each other in grid order in a spreadsheet or monospaced on paper (which we all tend to do), you see:
MIKEY.jpg
... except this isn't exactly grid order. The Q of QUITE is higher than the U of UMBRA.

It is grid order if you are already looking at the middle letters, which was why I required assistance to bring this one home.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

Fun final puzzle.

Thanks for your contribution in Saving Our Summer!!

Mine in particular.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!