69. Let's Meet After Work

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
spotter

Post by spotter »

Do the points on the leaderboard ever change? It’s been the same for weeks
hoover

Post by hoover »

I should remember that these drop at noon. That's about when I gave up looking for a new puzzle. Thanks for the season/summer of solves!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:36 pm
DrTom wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:04 pm when you write the 5 words out, one underneath each other in grid order in a spreadsheet or monospaced on paper (which we all tend to do), you see:
MIKEY.jpg
... except this isn't exactly grid order. The Q of QUITE is higher than the U of UMBRA.

It is grid order if you are already looking at the middle letters, which was why I required assistance to bring this one home.
Interesting, and 100% correct. When I looked back at my paper (I created the graphic in my other message from scratch knowing how it should be) I did indeed have it in GRID order and had AIBDE, I guess at that point my mind saw ABIDE even if my eyes did not. Funny what confirmation bias will do, I knew I was looking for a 5 letter word that had something to do with waiting from the title.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

spotter wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:32 pm Do the points on the leaderboard ever change? It’s been the same for weeks
They do; that's on me. I've been behind the 8-ball, and I apologize. I will try to get it up for puzzles 66 and 67 tomorrow, and puzzles 68 and 69 will be finalized once this one's deadline elapses. :)
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 91. You'll Turn It Around
rjy

Post by rjy »

Got it, great fun all summer, Mikey!
Ray
Qmark

Post by Qmark »

Nice one, Mikey! Thanks for a fun "Summer of Solves"...your efforts are appreciated! In addition to the punny clues, I like how you always choose a different (and appropriate) font for the title of your puzzles. Kudos!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Mikey, you helped make my summer. Thanks!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:06 pm A great way to finish the Summer of Solves. Please keep going or we will experience The Winter of our Discontent
Gee, thanks, Jay!

You've volunteered to create, rally, wrangle, edit, & coach our newest (weekly? monthly?) meta offering, WoOD.

Looking forward to your details... 🙂👍🏻
Cap'n Rick

Post by Cap'n Rick »

Really enjoyed the "Summer of Solves", Mikey! Thank you!
Ahoy! Check out my meta puzzles here! Check out "Smooth Sailing Sundays" here!
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I got it.
Thanks for the puzzle - and all of the rest. Great summer solving!
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

A solid 54 so far! For my US friends, I hope you're enjoying your extended weekend!

ReB

Post by ReB »

Well, since my PMs seem to be disappearing, let me ask here if you're going to providing any nudges. Although with 54 solvers as of Monday, it would seem I'm missing something blatant under my nose...
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

ReB wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:29 pm Well, since my PMs seem to be disappearing, let me ask here if you're going to providing any nudges. Although with 54 solvers as of Monday, it would seem I'm missing something blatant under my nose...
They're not, I'm just in the middle of a 10-hour shift, haha.

Fellow muggles, nudge away! (I'll give more if need be.)

ReB

Post by ReB »

[HEADSLAP]. Definitely overthought this, but the cat is out finally. A very SAD evening indeed
hoover

Post by hoover »

MikeyG wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:00 pm September is here! It does mean that summer is unofficially ending, so this is the last puzzle in the Summer of Solves. We will still go back to puzzles on a bimonthly basis, and the next one will go live Saturday, September 16 at 1 pm ET (I hope the leaderboard will be finalized by then!).

Mikey G
Sad face. Today is only the 9th.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Puzzle #69 answer: LABORED

Correct entries: 66 (a true Level 1!)

@BrennerTJ, coming in as always!

Pretty simple: Look for the 7 symmetric words, the black squares adjusted to accommodate one. These words can come after the word WORK, and their initial letters spell LABORED, in honor of Labor Day, and the answer to the meta.

My hat goes off to those who can craft a meta every single week; in a perfect world, I would love to do it, but my schedule and my other yearly goals (rooting on the Cubbies, solving logic problems, reading 100 books a year, tutoring the great minds of tomorrow today) preclude that slightly. I do have ideas sketched out for the Summer of Solves as early as May. I think this gives me about 35 or so a year, and I'm okay with that!

I am humbled by all of you solvers out there, and I thank all of you for insights, contributions, and feedback. I should get the leaderboard finalized by this upcoming Saturday, with prizes coming in the next couple of months.

And why this upcoming Saturday? That's when the next meta is coming! Have a good week, and I'll see you then!

Mikey G

hoover

Post by hoover »

Checking calendar...
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

hoover wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:28 am Checking calendar...
1:00 PM (unless he pulls a gaffney!) :D