MEOW #144 Face the Music

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, Day 1 and a pretty good showing. The meta is living up to what I expected; some are finding it a walk in the park, others a walk in the park after four feet of snow and in the dark. Keep at it intrepid solvers, I know that come 4 PM tomorrow the MEOW will become a cry in the distance as everyone struggles to get the WSJ and then gets ready for the MG. The MG should be less demanding this week, but of course I say that after having having dropped the ball on one of the most solved WSJ puzzles in a while last week. Anyway, I digress...solver list for today:

1 Benchen71
2 Hector
3 Schmeel
4 boharr
5 lbray53
6 ChrisKochmanski
7 CPJohnson
8 SamKat9
9 woozy
10 MatthewL
11 Meg
12 MikeyG
13 markhr
14 Philip Chow
15 merlinimue
16 Trypmom
17 hoover
18 Cindy Heisler
19 Gutman
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
rjy

Post by rjy »

DEBAGGED! Finally! Really great construction and challenge, Tom, with a rewarding aha when I finally caught what you were up to!
Ray
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

DrTom wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:22 pm
woozy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:04 pm Fun and easy one.

I *always* try this metanism for these type of metas and no-one ever actually uses it until now.
I KNOW! I came up with it after trying it on another one where it did not work.

Thanks for solving
Now *I'm* going to have to construct a puzzle with the mechanism I always try for these puzzles!

Got to this one a day late, but the cat didn't mind too much, he says he enjoyed his nap in the bag but is demanding his dinner now that he's out.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cat's out! Nice one Dr. Tom!
Heidi
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

I faced the music and freed the cat. Thanks, Tom!
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

End of day two, a few more cat fanciers:
20 Laura M
21 rjy
22 JM
23 Pair O Ducks
24 Heidi
25 BarbaraK
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

FRIDAY NUDGES:

When you hear the word "Face" where does tha make you want to look for something?

Isn't clue 32A just the silliest thing you have heard? (well OK, this is one of my puzzles so probably not the silliest by a longshot, but still...)

It might have helped if I had Julie Andrews sing you the clues?
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Got it now, but nudges didn’t help (I had all that). Just took a look again and thought of a new technique… and then found that it confirmed the answer from a technique I had already tried (but had been using an error so hadn’t quite landed it). Turns out, there are TWO amazing ways to arrive at the same answer. IF this was intentional, this is one brilliant puzzle!! If not intentional, maybe the most remarkable coincidence in the history of muggledom.
The other Wendy. :roll:
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

Cat is free! Thank you, DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:45 pm Got it now, but nudges didn’t help (I had all that). Just took a look again and thought of a new technique… and then found that it confirmed the answer from a technique I had already tried (but had been using an error so hadn’t quite landed it). Turns out, there are TWO amazing ways to arrive at the same answer. IF this was intentional, this is one brilliant puzzle!! If not intentional, maybe the most remarkable coincidence in the history of muggledom.
Well....I'd like to opt for intentional, but it might be intentional for the wrong reasons.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Well you who have solved look at Crosshare comments because this was one incredible coincidence! I’ll try to remember to post it here when time is up!
The other Wendy. :roll:
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Another 7 have hoisted the "release the Cat" banner:

26 Cindy Weatherman
27 DIS
28 andeux
29 HeadInHome
30 Ergcat
31 MrTex
32 DCBilly
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Saturday Nudges:

Consider the Solfège system for a minute, it is composed of those "syllables" made famous in "The Sound of Music"

Still considering? Good! Now, the magic of those "syllables" is that each corresponds to a note on the scale A - B - C - D - E - F - G

One more left for Sunday
ajk

Post by ajk »

Quickly got to the point of nudge 4 (before the nudges), but never would have gotten the answer without nudge 5, due a deficiency in my knowledge base. Fun stuff, thanks. :)
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Really debagged! (Who forgot to close the door to the luggage hold?)
Untitledzzwhee.png
I pretty much just had to straighten out and fly right.

TFTXW, DrTom!
ReB

Post by ReB »

Cat is out of the bag finally.
KayW

Post by KayW »

:crossed_swords: :rabbit: :cat: The cat is happy to be out and facing the music at last. I saw everything from the beginning but what was revealed in Nudge #5. Thanks for a wonderful puzzle!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
MarkWoychick
Site Admin

Post by MarkWoychick »

Had a quiet moment to come back to this one. Needed the hints and learned something from them! Cat is out of the bag! Thanks, @DrTom!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 contest-style (meta) crosswords that we've created to help raise money for cancer-related organizations - get the bundle at http://crosswordsforcancer.com
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

So, seven more join the board:

33 Darrell
34 ajk
35 whimsy
36 ReB
37 KayW
38 Katiedid
39 MarkWoychick
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Last nudge

If a constructor was being sneaky, he could swap out a syllable for a note!! Now certainly we don't know anyone sneaky enough to do that but, it is possible