MEOW #144 Face the Music

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
edestlin

Post by edestlin »

The cat is finally free! Oh my goodness I can't believe how obtuse I was being. Thanks DrTom!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the Sunday nudge helped because there are 4 new people to add:

40 SeamusOL
41 edestlin
42 Berto
43 LindaPRmaven
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Reveal Day

The Solfège sytem referenced by 32A
Solfege.png

Each “syllable” corresponds to a note, thus the series of “syllables” that start words in the Grid are: Fa, La, Do, La, Re, Mi (FAiled. LApse, DOris, LAirs, REads, MIngle). Taking those from the scale you get FA=F, LA=A, DO = C, LA = A, RE = D, MI = E or FAÇADE. Alternatively, each of those words has a corresponding “alternate” word that arises when you substitute the FACE of the word (the syllable) with the actual note.
FAILED = FILED = F
LAPSE = APSE = A
DORIS = CRIS = C
LAIRS = AIRS = A
READS = DADS = D
MINGLES = ENGLES = E
Face the Music Graphic Reveal.jpg
So yes, there were two ways to arrive at the answer, but I was almost certain everyone would have to use the 2nd method. Obviously, I had not reckoned on the musically inclined Muggles (I had Al Sisti help me with the scale so you KNOW it is as musically perfect as it can be) just using the FACE and EGBDF mnemonics to arrive home. Either way they “Faced” the music, giving it a new Face to discover the FAÇADE that has been presented.

Now I did get some feedback that there is a common misconception the Solfège system is based on the key of C major and therefore the FAÇADE thing works, but that in truth it is not. That is partially correct but has some other aspects. There are apparently both a “fixed” and a “moveable” DO. If it is the moveable then indeed the C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C may not be true. However, if it is the FIXED version then I’m back in business. Now granted I hate to think about a fixed DO because that means there will be no Bambi, but if that is what I needed to make this work then FIXED it was and Disney be darned.

Another comment was that AGAPE really did not mean “brotherly love” and that word was PHILIA like in Philadelphia (City of Brotherly Love). However, Agape is love of your fellow man, love given without expectation of return, and is the central foundation of loving kindness for all mankind, or “brothers” in the very general sense. Philia is friendship love. Remember that the Quakers (William's group) were the Friends (Religious Society of Friends). In truth, "Philadelphia" means "City of Brotherly Love" only because it is a combination of two Greek words: love (phileo) and brother (adelphos). So I stand by my clue of “Brotherly love” for AGAPE (besides who wanted to see “Mouth wide open” again
Last edited by DrTom on Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Ah, "Mouth Wide Open..." the Kubrick sequel that never was.

I got about 60% there on this one (saw the solfege notes in the grid) but a busy long weekend got in my way. In any case, great puzzle as always!
Darth

Post by Darth »

Ah, well, there it is! Of course, not being a "solfege" person, I resorted to the Galaxy and found: "do re mi fa sol la SI do" ...

which put an extra RE and SI in there (28A and 50A), and in such perfect symmetry, too!... but there was something not quite right with "FACDBADE"...hmmm, now throw in a couple of LA's (52D and 53D) and send me off to LA-LA land, will you?...

So, you got me on this one, @DrTom! ...But remember, the Empire will strike back! :evil:

DrTom

Post by DrTom »

My only recourse is to say DO! I tried to eliminate all other Solfege syllables but unfortunately they are WAY too common. I tired to limit that with my FACE the music to indicate that each one had to go on the FACE of the word and with corresponding words that are formed when the syllable is transformed into a note.

I am sorry that tripped you up, that was note my intention.

T
rjy

Post by rjy »

DrTom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:07 am Now granted I hate to think about a fixed DO because that means there will be no Bambi, but if that is what I needed to make this work then FIXED it was and Disney be darned.
Ray
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:27 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:07 am Now granted I hate to think about a fixed DO because that means there will be no Bambi, but if that is what I needed to make this work then FIXED it was and Disney be darned.
Oh deer! :o
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:34 pm
C do.png
A C-male deer?
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:51 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:34 pm

C do.png

A C-male deer?
RE the name of that deer's son..
dsbened

Post by dsbened »

Ack! I'm not good at metas, but it was a fun puzzle anyway. And for 21A, I didn't know that "Agape" also means "Brotherly love". (Learn something new here every week!)
Seattle DB