68. Give Me Five!

Puzzles! Puns! The occasional crosswordese! Solve a new meta at the end of each of month at https://punofakind.blogspot.com/
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Beauty!

I got it, but only with a couple of nudges, so I didn’t enter for the prize.

I’m thinking that Mikey is quickly qualifying for the title of Evil Genius — and I mean that in a good way!
markhr

Post by markhr »

Mikey's Monday nudges got me home in short order. An intricate and devious puzzle from Mr. G.
Very impressive.
MatthewL

Post by MatthewL »

Finally got it with the nudges and a little assist from a previous solver. Very clever! Thanks Mikey.
Matthew
Joe

Post by Joe »

I got the thing that the nudges want me to find. I've tried a few things with them, but still searching. And ever hopeful.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Nudged to the finish earlier this morning. I thought of the answer as I was drifting off to sleep but couldn't quite justify it, woke up and saw the piece I'd missed. Thanks, Mikey!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I had all the pieces. Needed a nudge to finish. Then saw the answer in my notes. I had an order problem!
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Wow, excellent meta! Didn’t need the nudges, just some time to focus on it.
If you want help with a meta, feel free to PM me. The more specific you are about what you have and what you want, the more likely I can help without spoiling.

(And if I help you win a mug, I’ll be especially delighted.)
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

lbray53 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:07 pm I had all the pieces. Needed a nudge to finish. Then saw the answer in my notes. I had an order problem!
I had the same issue, it was in my notes but I didn't see it for what it was. A nudge from a kind solver got me to focus on it again. This puzzle was very clever, and I like how it all came together!
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
rjy

Post by rjy »

Needed only Hint 1 to redirect me from my initial path, and got to the answer from there, but sloooooooowly. Had the final answer since Monday morning but didn't realize it until a head-slap moment this afternoon... yowza! Stupid Mikey and his Stupid 5-point Demerits For Incorrect Guesses. Cost me a lot of time past the finish line 🤣

But Mikey! You're on a roll with some really terrific metas lately. Will be sad to see the Summer of Solves come to a close.
Ray
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

MikeyG wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:43 am Monday nudges! We just have 14, so it's definitely a Week 4.

1. The five longest across entries are important.

2. These five entries all share a unique property.

3. A star of the movie Vertigo has a name that also shares this property.

4. If you're still stuck, think about your ABCs!

More coming Tuesday!

Mikey G
(Ahem!) (cough, cough) Yesterday was Tuesday, right?
Cynthia
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

If you know your days of the week! (Sometimes, I'm in a days; it makes we week.)

Sorry about that; it would've been two yesterday and two more today, so we'll give the four in all.

5. With one change, each of the five longest across entries has a unique property.

6. This unique property is shared by five consecutive letters.

7. Note things like DEF and RST already in the themers.

8. By changing one letter to another letter, each of the five longest theme entries would have a string of five consecutive letters of the alphabet.

Wish me luck that I remember to post a couple more tomorrow, haha.

Mikey G
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Um -- Kinda had all that ^^^^^ from yesterday.
But I'll be patient and wait for tomorrow's delivery.
Untitledzzzz.png
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

9. Afterward, you need to find five other entries in the grid.

Tomorrow came early (that cat is ready to pounce!).
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Yup -- Mousie gets another reprieve. :lol:
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Finally got it....had help.
Cynthia
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Was poked to the POAK. I had all of it except the last step and I had most of that but did not realize it until @lbray53 gave me the aforementioned poke. Great puzzle Mikey, but then you are probably tired of hearing that! :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Darth

Post by Darth »

There's brilliance behind the madness! Sometimes you just don't recognize all of it until after the solve! :twisted:
Way to go, @MikeyG!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

Had most of it from the start. But then I got stumped by the last step. Had a helpful nudge! Thanks, Mikey!
Cindy Heisler
hoover

Post by hoover »

After what seems like five days later, I finally have it. Apparently I was staring right at it for a couple of days but I had my contacts in the wrong eyes.
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Pushed the answer. That was tough. I would never have seen the first step without the nudges.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock: