MGWCC #795 — “These Actions Are Highly Irregular”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Awaiting beam up!

Edit -Beamed up #46
ajk

Post by ajk »

Finally caught up to the rest of the Discord crew, after a couple of additional nudges. Phew.
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
KayW

Post by KayW »

:alien: :flying_saucer: Beamed up for a [REDACTED] crossword contest.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
HoldThatThought

Post by HoldThatThought »

I think this is proving less difficult than MG had anticipated.

As has been noted elsewhere, it would be nice if the nudge crew waited until at least the first promised hint has been released. As a regular nudger, myself, I say that only because I would like to see Mr G continue to offer up hints. If experience were to show that dozens and dozens were solving before the hints, I imagine he would conclude that hints aren't needed.

Let the nudge requesters get their nudges from Matt - I think that will play out well for the community at large.

Just my two cents, and I certainly do appreciate the motivation to be helpful.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

On the road today… got the grid in the car before we hit the mountains, but tummy said put it down after that. I saw the initial thing(s) others saw but couldn’t land, then figured out how to land it after dinner on the front porch of this lovely inn. Awaiting beam, but the answer kind of confirms itself, which I love!
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

HoldThatThought wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:45 pm
As has been noted elsewhere, it would be nice if the nudge crew waited until at least the first promised hint has been released. As a regular nudger, myself, I say that only because I would like to see Mr G continue to offer up hints. If experience were to show that dozens and dozens were solving before the hints, I imagine he would conclude that hints aren't needed.

Let the nudge requesters get their nudges from Matt - I think that will play out well for the community at large.

I RespectThatThought, @HoldThatThought! I think any puzzle deserves a good 24 hours before the hints start flying… largely for the reason that people like ME need to KEEP TRYING on the difficult ones instead of hitting the “easy(ish)” button. It’s so much fun when you work out a toughie by sheer force of will! (Reaching for a nudge is hard to resist, when you know they’re flying around.)
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

HeadinHome wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:53 pm
HoldThatThought wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:45 pm

I RespectThatThought, @HoldThatThought! I think any puzzle deserves a good 24 hours before the hints start flying… largely for the reason that people like ME need to KEEP TRYING on the difficult ones instead of hitting the “easy(ish)” button. It’s so much fun when you work out a toughie by sheer force of will! (Reaching for a nudge is hard to resist, when you know they’re flying around.)
I respect that too but... the nudges that are flying around are not foisted on us. I admire how this forum is so spoiler free. There are nudges galore on PMs and Discord but they require the user to seek them out. User chooser.
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Agreed - not foisted. Our moderators do their job well, and I’m grateful. The nudges flying around are made mention OF, not posted!
ricky

Post by ricky »

This was exactly my experience. There were so, so many plausible places to go looking for Step 2. In the end, after a couple of hours of staring at the grid, Step 2 finally leapt out at me and I had my answer within 5 minutes.
woozy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:37 pm
schmidzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:20 pm Confidently awaiting the beam! This was a lot of fun.
Are you serious?

Okay... I was going make some comment about how the initial obviousness of the theme seems to be proportional to the absolutely elusiveness of finding the very next step.

But... you have it? Seriously?

MANTRA: I refuse to get frustrated, I refuse to get frustrated....
schmidzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:47 pm
I think I just got lucky and the first thing I thought of happened to be right. Unfortunately, that good fortune does not seem to translate into some kind of all-around meta wizardry... and now it's back to the MEOW, which is utterly eluding me this week.
The first thing I thought of turned out to be right too... but now I have to think of a second thing. And that's pretty elusive.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Berto

Post by Berto »

I agree with a lot of the above, it’s easy to reach out for a nudge without really giving it a try. But I feel this one was just going to be really tough and I have 3 young kids with sports activities all weekend so wanted to get this solved ASAP! A bit of Discord, which itself doesn’t give you any layups - and a push in the right direction from @ajk and I finally got there, aha moment and all!
woozy

Post by woozy »

ricky wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:26 pm This was exactly my experience. There were so, so many plausible places to go looking for Step 2. In the end, after a couple of hours of staring at the grid, Step 2 finally leapt out at me and I had my answer within 5 minutes.

Kinda frustrating to know that. But I guess it's nice to know this will not be hard if I see it. But as usually, I'm certainly not seeing it.

I'm worried the first to hints Matt gives are going to be the obvious things I noticed pretty much immediately and there won't be a hint that helps me until monday. Still want to see if it comes to me but... it's annoying how they don't. I just don't see that there is any place for the kicker to actually be.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

Awaiting the beam; I really enjoyed this puzzle. I was close initially, but I went off course. After a nudge from @Wendy Walker I got back on track. It still took some staring and contemplation, but finally I got there.
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Awaiting the beam... [Very excited to get a "week 4" solo!]

... And I'm beamed at #82. Nice!
Last edited by benchen71 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
ZooAnimalsOnWheels

Post by ZooAnimalsOnWheels »

I'm awaiting the beam. Yeah, I wanted to give this one a fair shot before I was tempted to look at hints, but I was fortunate to have it come together quickly.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

To everything, there is a season
And a time to every meta-solving approach under heaven
A time to spend days working on a meta
A time to have only one hour to squeeze in between family responsibilities
A time to solve alone
A time to collaborate with friends
A time to read the official hints
A time to leave them unread in the inbox

How wonderful that Matt has created these puzzles that can be enjoyed in so many ways by people in all seasons of their lives!

For me, this week has been a time to see the obvious, have an idea about what might be next, and when it doesn't work out go off on a tangent of wondering if that's something I could make into a meta :)

Away mission still not accomplished.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Awaiting the beam but certain. As the Other Wendy says, it's self-confirming.
Solo solve -- no nudges, no Discord, no Matt hints. So as Hold says, it must not be all that difficult.
(Also, I liked the subtle allusion in the clue for 8D, or has that been done before?)
Jay
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

Awaiting confirmation, but feeling pretty confident.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
woozy

Post by woozy »

You know... I think the only times I've stared at a puzzle for a long time, then put it down, and when I pick it up again the answer jumps at me, only happens when I was drunk the first time I saw the puzzle. The morning after I still so the (to me) obvious theme and the same absolutely nowhere to go with the theme.

And I've only once been able to stare at a puzzle thinking "it must be here, think, think" and actually making myself see it. I keep hoping I can do that a second time but I probably won't do that this week.

I'm going to wait til Matt's first hint before I start begging for nudges but I'm pretty certain I know exactly what the first two hints are going to be.... :(
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
minimuggle

Post by minimuggle »

I'm still not there and I'm muddy and bedraggled from all the rabbit holes. And I agree that I am sure I know those first two hints...Ugh. Happy weekend everyone.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Beamed yesterday. #27