MGWCC #795 — “These Actions Are Highly Irregular”

An excellent puzzle written by one of the innovators of the meta crossword format. It comes out every Friday at noon and increases in difficulty throughout the month. Available for modest subscription (worth every cent) here: www.xwordcontest.com
Wendy Walker

MGWCC #795 — “These Actions Are Highly Irregular”

Post by Wendy Walker »

It's a Week 4, friends!

This week’s contest answer is a six-letter adjective you might apply to some contest crosswords.

From Matt:
"NOTE: This is a tough one, so I'm going to be releasing three hints. The first will go out at noon ET on Saturday, the second at noon ET on Sunday, and the third at noon ET on Monday. Feel free to use none, any, or all of these. Not required, but if you'd like you can attach a note to your entry telling me how many hints you used."

Saturday, noon ET, release: MGWCC #795 -- Hint #1 Check your email or the MGWCC Patreon site.

Sunday, noon ET, release: MGWCC #795 -- Hint #2 Check your email or the MGWCC Patreon site.

Monday, noon ET, release: MGWCC #795 -- Hint #3 Check your email or the MGWCC Patreon site.

EDIT: Awaiting beamage but it's a sure thing!
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

Confidently awaiting the beam! This was a lot of fun.
woozy

Post by woozy »

schmidzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:20 pm Confidently awaiting the beam! This was a lot of fun.
Are you serious?

Okay... I was going make some comment about how the initial obviousness of the theme seems to be proportional to the absolutely elusiveness of finding the very next step.

But... you have it? Seriously?

MANTRA: I refuse to get frustrated, I refuse to get frustrated....
schmidzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:47 pm
I think I just got lucky and the first thing I thought of happened to be right. Unfortunately, that good fortune does not seem to translate into some kind of all-around meta wizardry... and now it's back to the MEOW, which is utterly eluding me this week.
The first thing I thought of turned out to be right too... but now I have to think of a second thing. And that's pretty elusive.
Last edited by woozy on Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Funny story. I was all set to enter Par for the course for the CrossHare midi contest for April but I mistakenly thought midi meant 7x 7 and not 11 x 11. Oops. Well.... Here's a complex but **small** meta on the subject of golf.
SJMcK

Post by SJMcK »

I’ve made a couple of tantalizing observations but I’m not sure where to go with them. I’d like to solve this before the hints go out but I’ll have to set it down for now and look at it again later
schmidzy

Post by schmidzy »

woozy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:37 pm
schmidzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:20 pm Confidently awaiting the beam! This was a lot of fun.
Are you serious?

Okay... I was going make some comment about how the initial obviousness of the theme seems to be proportional to the absolutely elusiveness of finding the very next step.

I think I just got lucky and the first thing I thought of happened to be right. Unfortunately, that good fortune does not seem to translate into some kind of all-around meta wizardry... and now it's back to the MEOW, which is utterly eluding me this week.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

schmidzy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:47 pm
woozy wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:37 pm
Are you serious?

If the MEOW is alluding you, try cat food! Kitties love it!

Edit: Posting the most random cat meme that has nothing to do with anything after staring at the puzzle for an hour with no luck. Come back to it and see it instantly. Awaiting the beam and thanking Ginger Cat, BEST CAT EVER!
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

strong first thoughts and not sure where to go after those ...
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
MMe

Post by MMe »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:01 pm From Matt:
"NOTE: This is a tough one, so I'm going to be releasing three hints. The first will go out at noon ET on Saturday, the second at noon ET on Sunday, and the third at noon ET on Monday. Feel free to use none, any, or all of these. Not required, but if you'd like you can attach a note to your entry telling me how many hints you used."
That's great. I hope folks will play ball here and won't usurp Matt's initiative by offering additional or earlier nudges.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Totally enjoyed this one!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
SamKat9

Post by SamKat9 »

On to something and trying to make sense of it...
Shannon 🐱
PS: If you want help with a meta, PM what you have so I can help without spoiling too much. I've received lots of help in the beginning and I love to pay it forward!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

MMe wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:01 pm From Matt:
That's great. I hope folks will play ball here and won't usurp Matt's initiative by offering additional or earlier nudges.
Eh, I figure that's what the "Solo Solve/Group Solve" radio button is for when you submit...
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

Managed to see it on a third look. Beamed without hints this time!
MMe

Post by MMe »

sharkicicles wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:17 pm
MMe wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:33 pm That's great. I hope folks will play ball here and won't usurp Matt's initiative by offering additional or earlier nudges.
Eh, I figure that's what the "Solo Solve/Group Solve" radio button is for when you submit...
This is why we can't have nice things
HunterX

Post by HunterX »

Awaiting beam up.

Edit: Beamed at #35, probably my best appearance on the leader board!
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved and I have a funny alternate title. Told Matt and he said he was glad he didn’t think of it or he might have been tempted to use it.
MikeyG

Post by MikeyG »

Your getting this in 19 minutes is epic!

And e.a. in 8 minutes...simply wow.
Less cross words, more crosswords.

Solve my latest "Pun of a Kind" Meta!: 92. It's a Breeze
ship4u

Post by ship4u »

It feels as though we are on to something, but we don't know what to do with it.
Don & Cynthia

We are always happy to get to know other muggles and help in any way! PM's are always welcome. The next best thing to winning a mug is helping a fellow muggle win a mug!
AaronT

Post by AaronT »

Submitted right after the last update but confident in my answer. 🙂
DCBilly

Post by DCBilly »

The board has not updated but @Wendy Walker tells me my answer is right so by cracky it must be right!

Update: Yep, WW and I are on the board with the latest refresh.
Last edited by DCBilly on Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

nice Discord discussion, strong 46D from AaronT, 100% beamed

a whole bunch of us just successfully transported!
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.