MEOW #143: "Lifeline"

A weekly meta crossword on the forum started by member Josh (aka madhatter5). These puzzles are often very creative with solving mechanisms out of the norm and skewing towards the more challenging. Puzzles are posted every Wednesday, and the solution appears the following Tuesday.
Wendy Walker

MEOW #143: "Lifeline"

Post by Wendy Walker »

Dr. Tom and Wendy teamed up on this week's puzzle. It should not be difficult for solvers to determine which constructor crafted which clues.

At the reveal next week, Dr. Tom will share with you this puzzle's unusual origin story.

Thank you to Al Sisti and Cinny, our test solvers, for their always-helpful advice, and to Joe Ross for his technical assistance.

Given that handicapping difficulty in metas seems to escape us both (and Dr. Tom in particular), we are just going to assign a broad range and be safe. So let's just say this is between a Calico and a Puma and be covered.

A lifeline is defined as a thing on which someone depends or which provides a means of escape from difficult situations. Any of us with animals know that this is almost a perfect definition of our furry friends. Therefore, the answer to this week’s meta is a pet.

Lifeline crosshare

Lifeline PUZ

Lifeline PDF

Lifeline spreadsheet

Last edited by Wendy Walker on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
benchen71

Post by benchen71 »

Cat's out. Fun one, Wendy & Tom!
Check out "The MOAT MEOW Mashup Pack" here. US$10 for 14 metas that don't always abide by the "rules" of the game: asymmetry, 2-letter words, uncrossed letters, who knows. And this time there's a mega-meta! :shock:
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Cat's gone.
Thanks for the puzzle!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The cat is wandering loose somewhere or other. I made this one harder than it actually was and wound up with a couple of interesting words that look like something from a made-up language.
Jay
Ergcat

Post by Ergcat »

The cat is out! Enjoyed this one! Thanks, Wendy & DrTom!
Cinny

Post by Cinny »

The cat is out. 🐱 I had to think about this for a bit, even after test solving. But enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Thanks, Wendy and Dr Tom!
Cindy Heisler
rjy

Post by rjy »

Debagged a pet… quite fun you two, with an elegant construction!

Now to see if I can clear the decks for Thursday with Mikey and the MOAT
Ray
boharr

Post by boharr »

Cat is free, although it did go down a hole containing a rascally pet before being liberated. Thanks for the puzzle.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

benchen71 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:48 am Cat's out. Fun one, Wendy & Tom!
Thanks for solving!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Cinny wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:40 am The cat is out. 🐱 I had to think about this for a bit, even after test solving. But enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Thanks, Wendy and Dr Tom!
And thank you! You inadvertently got left off of the Test Solver accolade in the intro but let me fix that now. Without test solvers these puzzles would be much different and probably much worse. We rely so heavily on the input of our fellow Muggles to keep us from spinning out of control. THank you for testing and for coming back to solve again.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Dr.Buttbeard

Post by Dr.Buttbeard »

Cat is out of the bag! Thanks!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

rjy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:46 am Debagged a pet… quite fun you two, with an elegant construction!

Now to see if I can clear the decks for Thursday with Mikey and the MOAT
That construction is the basis for the story that will be posted on reveal day. It is a rabbit hole that became a rabbit snare.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:26 am The cat is wandering loose somewhere or other. I made this one harder than it actually was and wound up with a couple of interesting words that look like something from a made-up language.
Oh, we often come up with interesting words while solving. Mine may be more "colorful" than Wendy's mind you, but then I had 8 years of Navy to hone my vocabulary.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Cat is out of the bag without too much fuss, fortunately. Thanks.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Dr.Buttbeard wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:52 am Cat is out of the bag! Thanks!
Thanks for solving
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

And thank you!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Begone, cat!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Cat is out and wondering why I made it so complicated.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ajk

Post by ajk »

OK, that took me longer than it should have, but at least managed to solve before I had to go teach. :lol:

Very clever and fun. Thanks!
Check out this very cool project by many of your favorite muggles to raise money to fight cancer. You get a fun puzzle bundle and good causes get $. Win-win: Crosswords for Cancer
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Cat is out! Thanks for a fun one!
Heidi